Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lorena Rose

I was barely through the front door when my brother came rushing into the room. “Where have you been?” he demanded, “I was about to call the patrol officers and have a search party sent after you.”

“I went to the testing centre,” I took off my coat.

“Dr. Peck called and said you left because you were feeling sick,” he hung up my coat for me, “Where have you been the last two hours?”

“It was a whiteout in the streets, I lost track of where I was and I wandered around until I found our street,” I took off my boots, “Sorry if I worried you.”

 

“Are you still feeling sick?” he asked concerned.

“No, I think the cold air helped it was really warm in the testing centre today there were too many people,” I told him, “I'll try tomorrow it's Sunday so everyone will be at church.”

“Well let's give you some time,” he cleared his throat, “Tomorrow we have been invited to a banquet for the officers of my squadron.”

“You're going to another event,” I headed into the living area, “Sounds fun.”

 

“We are both going,” he said and I turned around.

“I am going to one of your military functions,” I questioned.

“Head Officer Warner would like to meet you officially and reassure you about the injections,” he explained, “You get to dress up tomorrow and go out to see other normal girls around your age.”

“Why is Peck taking an interest in me?” I leaned back against the couch.

“Because if the injections work then you'll be admitted to a top military institution for training,” he informed me, “We can keep the family lineage going despite the speed bumps in the past.”

“Right,” I chewed on my lip, “So how long do the injections take to work?”

“About two weeks for some, instantly for others,” he was no doubt quoting one of the pamphlets he'd read on the subject.

 

“You know I hear they're going to start handing out more of those cold pills,” I mentioned casually.

“Cold pills,” he frowned.

“You know the ones mom used to give me, they change our core body temperature,” I continued, “It's only getting colder again now.”

“They won't do that,” he shook his head.

“Why not? They seemed like they worked,” I inquired.

“They had bad side effects in a few cases, you know vomiting and dizziness,” he replied, “Who told you this? Who were you talking to?”

“No one, I heard some of the junior doctors discussing it,” I went over to the fireplace and sat on the edge, “I hope the injections kick in before that whole round-up mission starts Cass I am really nervous and it scares me.”

“You don't have to worry, the mission starts in four weeks so you'll have time to adjust to normalcy before the real monsters are taken to the asylums,” he explained.

“Some of the guys at the testing centre do need help, I feel bad for them,” I hated tricking him into giving me information.

“They have the power to fight what they have become, Maya do not pity the weak,” he gave me a hug, “Mom and dad will be so proud when you graduate from the institute where they learned combat and defence.”

“I hope so,” I hugged him back and wished I could tell my brother everything, but I couldn't risk it.

 

“Now you should go to mother's room and see if any of her dresses fit you because jeans and sweaters are not appropriate,” he kissed my forehead then left the room.

“Great,” I sighed then got up and went up to the top floor. I walked into my parent's old room it was covered in cobwebs. I did not feel comfortable here because if I ran into my parent's ghosts then I doubt they were happy with me. I went into the closet and looked through the few dresses my mother owned all hidden in garment bags.

I thought back to the only time I saw my mother wearing one. “One day Maya you will stand side by side with someone and you will love and fight in a dance,” she said then kissed my forehead, “You are going to be such a beauty.” I missed my mom, but she would have reacted the same way to my situation as Cass and I couldn't handle her rejecting who I really was.

 

“You are at war,” a voice said and I turned around to see an old woman standing there, “You can never be what you were meant to be, girl you're never going to survive the frost alone.”

“Good thing I made friends,” I grabbed the dark blue dress that looked small enough to fit on my thin frame.

“Yes, look after my grandson,” she smiled then I saw a flash of ice go through my body, “Just a warning.”

“Noted,” I ran out of the room and back to my own. I tried to focus on unzipping the dress and putting it on, but my hands were shaking. I had never been threatened like that before and I did not want to see that woman again. I pulled up the zipper and went into the bathroom to see how it looked. I was impressed with how well it showed off my curves made them look more defined. It was still decent enough that it would be appropriate for the event. I still couldn't believe I was going to one of Cass's events, I had never been to one before. He made me stay in the house most of the time because I was not 'myself'. I did not know who he expected me to be, but I wasn't going to argue with him now.

 

I closed and locked my door then took out the list of numbers Seth gave me. I read off the names to myself used a pen from my tiny desk to underline the important ones. I turned over the paper and saw Seth had written a note along with his number.

 

Be strong and remember who is normal.

 

From a friend

 

I grinned then put the paper in my desk drawer and unlocked my door so Cass won't be alarmed. I flopped onto my bed and took out my notebook writing about the ice storms and the freeze that was coming. I couldn't get it out of my mind so I had to write about it. I wrote two pages worth of mostly rants then closed my book and changed into my night gown before going back downstairs. “Cass, I'm going to sleep,” I peeked into his study and saw he was on the phone.

“We cannot use those drugs again, sir my sister is not going to think she's getting better if she takes more of them,” Cass said, “I am amazed she hasn't lost it completely yet, thank you for getting me permission to keep her here until a suitable institute can take her off my hands and teach her to grow up a little.” I felt a pain in my gut when I heard him say that. I had fought my affliction for years for him and he obviously did not care about me as much as he claimed. I ran back up the stairs and locked the door. I let my eyes water up and the air filled with sobs as I tried to process everything.

I heard when Cass tried to open the door, but I didn't open the lock. In fact I didn't move an inch. “May, what's wrong?” he knocked on the door, “Are you okay?”

“Go downstairs,” I tried to keep my voice even.

“May, is it the ghosts? Please tell me you aren't listening to them they aren't real,” he pushed against the door.

“It isn't the ghosts,” I opened my desk drawer and grabbed my cell phone and the list.

“What is wrong, Maya?” he started to kick the door in.

“Leave me alone,” I turned the paper with shaky hands and saw the words again. “Remember who is normal,” I cited then I took a deep breath.

 

“Maya,” he kicked the door again. I hid the list again and put my cell phone away too. I didn't need help I could handle this myself. “May,” he said and I went over and unbolted the lock. I opened the door and my brother engulfed me in a hug. “I thought you were hurt,” he kissed my forehead, “I didn't know what was wrong, I am sorry I left you alone for so long.”

“I forgive you,” I said sadly, “I...saw dad's ghost and he was angry.”

“Don't worry tomorrow we'll make him proud,” he assured me, “Do you want me to sleep in the chair in your room tonight?”

“No, I'm okay,” I promised.

“They are calling for a blizzard this week, do you want to stay home for the banquet?” he brushed the hair out of my face.

 

“No I still want to go,” I shook my head, “It'll look bad if your officer asks and I don't come, I want to be in military and I do not want you to be in trouble.”

“I love you, sis,” he said then left the room.

“I guess I'll try this lying thing out,” I sat down on my bed again. I grabbed my cell phone and messaged with Kiara for a few hours about the inner works of a man's mind until I fell asleep. When I opened my eyes it was bright in my room and the sun was peeking out. I cleaned up my face and tried to regain control of my hair then put on a housecoat since I wasn't going much of anywhere today. I waited as long as I could, but my stomach started growling so I had to go downstairs.

 

“Fight your instincts, you are a soldier,” a young girl walked alongside me, “The kind I remember before the gun.”

“What gun?” I muttered.

“You can guess,” she hissed then vanished. I got to the kitchen and Cass was on his computer with his glasses on.

 

“Morning,” he smiled, “Did you brush your hair this morning?”

“Yeah, I found my brush,” I went to the refrigerator to look for orange juice.

“You know once you're back to who you really are, most girls your age wear dresses and brush their hair every day,” he commented.

“I don't know about that, most of the girls I've seen around town like denim and I see a lot of girls with messy hair at least my hair is the natural colour,” I poured myself a glass.

“You're talking about sick, unhealthy girls,” he replied, “I've seen those girls too and they never get boyfriends or respect.”

“Respect is important,” I gave him a cold look, but he wasn't paying attention.

 

“You know what dad always said,” Cass laughed, “To respect oneself, you must be honoured by others.”

“Dad was full of quotes,” I started to smear butter on a piece of toast.

“You are acting strange this morning,” he remarked, “Are you sure you're feeling alright?”

“I am just nervous about the banquet, I've never been to such a big event,” I avoided eye contact.

“You'll do fine and I'll get you introduced to Officer Warner's three daughters they are very smart girls you could learn a lot from them,” he insisted.

“I'll listen closely to them then,” I promised, “You make sure to make yourself known, you may be a junior officer, but I think a promotion is in your future and maybe a girlfriend.”

“I told you I am going to marry when I am twenty four,” he reminded me, “I have a career first then marriage and children.”

 

“What about dating?” I started eating my toast.

“That's a child's game,” he shook his head, “I will know when the right woman is ready for me.”

“I guess it works that way sometimes,” I said thoughtfully.

“The doctor said he saw you talking to a boy in line,” Cass gave me a look.

“He tried to steal my coat and I lost my temper a little, he called me ghost girl,” I tried to maintain the lies.

“I knew you won't break our rules,” he said then he let me go back to my room. I lazed around in my room until around four. I curled my short hair and put on a little makeup as best that I could. I put on my black flats and used my fancy coat with the blue dress. I was looking for my purse when my phone rang.

 

“Hello,” I answered it.

“Hey May, I am bored out of my mind, do you want to come over?” Seth's voice was instantly recognizable.

“I have a banquet tonight with my brother and I'll gone until around ten,” I sighed, “I'll gather intelligence and give someone a report tomorrow.”

 

“I want to see the park tonight, I'll see you there at ten thirty bring some kind of food and I'll pass on the information,” he said.

“But...” I began and he hung up. I shook my head then smiled a little before heading downstairs ready for the event.



© 2015 Lorena Rose


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

222 Views
Added on February 14, 2015
Last Updated on February 14, 2015


Author

Lorena Rose
Lorena Rose

Montrose, BC, Canada



About
Hey, I am a college girl that's majoring in creative writing. I love writing and like to explore new worlds through the script across the page. Hope you enjoy my writing. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lorena Rose