Chapter 8

Chapter 8

A Chapter by Lorena Rose

The sound of branches hitting the window that was all I could hear when I woke up. I sat up in bed and tried to remember when I fell asleep. I remembered leaving Darren to talk to my brother then coming upstairs. I must have fallen asleep as soon as I hit the pillow. I put on my slippers and went downstairs in my pajama pants and tank top. I was making myself coffee when a voice made me jump. “Good morning, Maya,” Dr. Peck's voice made me drop the cup I was pouring my coffee into.

“Dr. Peck,” I turned around, “What are you doing here?”

“Your brother called me and Dr. Morgan,” he told me.

“My therapist,” I walked into the living room to see Dr. Morgan, Darren and my brother sitting on the couch, “What is going on?”

 

“This is an intervention, Maya,” Cass stood up, “You're trying to destroy yourself and I won't let that happen.”

“I am not trying to destroy myself, I just know the injections won't work,” I argued.

 

“How could you possibly know that?” Dr. Morgan asked me, “You are just guessing.”

“I have seen what people are like after those injections, they don't cure anything,” I snapped at him, “Whatever is wrong with me isn't that easy to fix.”

 

“Maya, give it a chance,” Dr. Peck suggested, “Don't lose hope.”

“I lost hope years ago, ask the therapist,” I point at Morgan, “He's an expert on my mind.”

“Miss. Garnet, you are acting strange,” Peck offered me the seat across from them, “What is the matter?”

 

“She was yelling about me about the emotion pills last night,” Darren forced me to sit down.

“How does she know about the pills?” Cass looked at him, “Did you tell her?”

“I hate those pills,” I muttered, “Emotions are what makes us human and anyone who wants to be something so vile is not okay with me.”

“Garnet, they make me stronger and I am still in control,” Darren argued, “You're worrying over nothing.”

“Why did you tell her about the pills, Price,” Cass sighed.

“She asked and I thought she'd be okay with it because they have no negative effects,” he shrugged.

 

“Are you taking the proper dosage, Mr. Price?” Dr. Peck asked.

“Yes, Doc,” Darren said.

 

“Now Maya, why don't we discuss why you are so against the procedure that could save your life,” Dr. Morgan suggested.

“Save my life,” I laughed, “Only one person in the world can take credit for that and it isn't you, Doctor Morgan.”

 

“Your attitude is very dark, my dear you know a lot of teenagers go through depression and it does have negative effects on you?” Dr. Peck put his hand on my shoulder.

“You and my family gave me...every reason to be upset,” I almost told them about the pills.

“What did I do wrong, May?” Cass started forward.

“You haven't do anything,” I said seriously, “That's the problem, you didn't do what you should have when I needed you.”

 

“Does this have something to do with your episode in that abandoned church?” Darren asked, “Did your apparitions say something that upset you?”

“It is not about them, exactly,” I replied then looked at Cass, “I can't talk about it, your intervention is a waste of time because you need my consent for the procedure and I am not giving it.”

“What has gotten into you, Maya?” Cass grabbed my shoulders, “You need to get better, you are going to end up in an asylum all alone.”

“Well who made sure I stayed that way, Cass? Who made sure I never had friends in the same situation that could help me?” I said then took a deep breath, “It's too late for any of that now, I need some air.”

 

“Maya,” he tried to stop me, but I pushed past him and went outside. I couldn't stop thinking about Seth and I needed to confront him, but I needed to regain some control first. I felt angry and without reason to, I started punching the telephone pole. I hit it over and over again with tears running down my face. Finally I felt strong arms wrap around me and hold me back from the wood.

“You know wood doesn't fight back,” he whispered in my ear.

“Hands off, Price damaged goods aren't your style,” I answered.

“I don't know,” he pressed his lips against my neck, “Now that you're my girlfriend, I would enjoy teaching you a few things.”

“Well, guess what,” I turned around and his face was pressed right up against mine, “I want to fight right now, if you want to help then fine, but don't try anything else.”

“That's how a military girl is supposed to talk,” he kissed me again. I didn't kiss him back, but he was a good kisser. If he wasn't kissing a ghost then he'd win the girl over.

“Basic sparring, hand to hand,” I got into my stance.

“I'll take it easy on you,” he smirked then tried to tackle me. I dropped immediately and he flipped over me. “Nice one,” he got back up.

“Thank you,” I tried to hit him in the chest and he twisted my arm around and knocked me down.

 

“Come on, Garnet,” he encouraged me and I circled him.

“Is this how you win over all your girlfriends with your fighting skills?” I feigned to the left then hit him in the side of the head.

“Whoa,” he covered his ear.

“Sorry,” I started forward, “I hit too hard.”

“Lose the compassion,” he shook it off, “It was a good shot, hit me again.”

“I am not angry anymore,” I shook my head.

“You have to learn to fight sometime and your brother is always busy,” he reminded me, “Find the anger again.”

“I don't have it anymore,” I dodged his swing at my head, “I just have disappointment with our entire society.”

“Maybe you should try these,” he took the pills out of his pocket, “They taste like candy and they'll make you less vulnerable.”

 

“You don't like me being like this,” I crossed my arms, “Well this is who I am, I was born into a military family, but unlike your sister I do not think my affliction is going to destroy me.”

“That's where you're wrong,” he knocked me down, “Your brother trusts me and I know deep down you still trust him.”

“Everyone I know has lied to me,” I told him.

“I haven't,” he pinned me down, “So try and be with someone who wants you and who is real.”

“I don't know if you are real, those pills have me wigging out,” I looked at them.

 

“Well try focusing elsewhere,” he tried to kiss me and I elbowed him in the head. I rolled us over so I was dominating him for once.

“I am not getting the procedure, I am not taking those pills,” I pulled him up to his feet, “If you can accept that then I'll see you on Monday.”

“I will change your mind,” he kissed my lips again before heading to his car, “Behave while I am away.”

“I always behave,” I muttered then waved. It was sad really that it could never be real between me and Darren. If I was the person my parents meant me to be then I'd probably be in the institute and the two of us would be dating. I could imagine going back to that life and fighting him today felt instinctual. I couldn't be Maya Garnet the Soldier though. I went back inside and I went up to my room to find the phone ringing. “Hello,” I answered it.

 

“Maya, before you hang up I just want to apologize,” Seth began.

“You were keeping secrets from me, Seth,” I warned him, “You knew I hated people keeping things from me, lying.”

“I know you feel this is a betrayal of your trust, but if you think I am working for Peck then you're wrong,” he insisted.

“How am I supposed to know that you're telling the truth?” I demanded, “I have not kept a single thing from you.”

“What about how you feel about that soldier from last night?” Seth argued.

“That is my date,” I rolled my eyes, “Oh and your dad was here today, but you probably already know that.”

 

“You're angry, Maya yell at me, call me names,” he ordered, “Don't bottle it up, don't hate me for something I don't have any control over.”

“Did you think I should hate you because he's your father,” I questioned, “If you had told me right away, I would have accepted that, but you do not really consider me a friend I'll just have to rely on Eva and Kiara.”

“I do consider you a friend, it's complicated,” he rambled.

“Well when you can explain it, maybe we can talk in the future, but I have a date on Monday I have to get ready for and a career to make my brother happy,” I hung up. I didn't know what to do anymore, I needed Seth, but it seemed like depending on other people only hurt me and them. My brother had suffered for years because of me and it was almost as painful as the visions when I listened to him beg me to stay with him. I couldn't fade away and leave him here. I couldn't be his perfect little sister anymore either though. I would have to figure out a balance.

 

“May,” Cass came walking into my room with a pile of books.

“What are those?” I asked.

“Mom and dad's photo albums,” he set them down on my bed, “The doctors thought some family history might convince you to follow our legacy.”

“I don't think a bunch of pictures are that convincing,” I opened the oldest looking one anyways.

“Great Grandma Yvette's records, she was on mom's side,” he opened to the first page, “That's her with her brothers and sisters.” I looked around and I saw a little boy holding Yvette's hand. He was so familiar I felt like I'd seen him before.

 

“Who is that?” I pointed him out.

“Great Uncle John,” he informed me, “He outlived Yvette by twelve years he was at your second birthday party and showed you pictures, you loved all the attention back then.”

“When mom and dad were around, I guess I acted different,” I flipped to the next page. He continued telling me about our ancestors.

“Yvette was short for a woman, but very good looking,” he showed me a picture and I had that strike of familiarity again.

 

“So I didn't ever meet her,” I frowned.

“No, but mother used to drill you on the family history when you were four,” he finished the book, “Do you want to see dad's grandfather?”

“Sure,” I agreed.

“Here is Alexander Garnet,” he showed me a picture, “With his father, Martin.”

“Martin,” I looked closely at the man's clothes, “He isn't dressed like a soldier.”

“He was a foot soldier and refused to gain ranks, it was his lineage who would seek fame and station,” Cass said cheerfully.

 

“A lot of interesting relatives,” I continued scanning the books. They were all there. The little girl in my visions was my grandmother on my father's side when she was young. I remembered now that she used to get beaten on by her aggressive mother during training. The lost boy was my Great Uncle John. The short woman was my Great Grandmother Yvette, the old woman was my mother's step mother who used to yell at me for entering her house without permission when I was little. The faded guy was my great, great grandfather, Martin Garnet and the tall guy was, in fact my father. I couldn't believe it, but for a long time I'd forgotten his face and what he looked like.

It all seemed to be piecing together, but the person I wanted to tell wasn't here. I needed to see Seth. I was still upset, but now I knew family was always more complicated than it seemed. I would have to go to a certain house and hope he'd answer.



© 2015 Lorena Rose


Author's Note

Lorena Rose
grammar problems?
What do you think will happen next?
What is the best and worst lines if you have the time?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

315 Views
Added on February 15, 2015
Last Updated on February 15, 2015


Author

Lorena Rose
Lorena Rose

Montrose, BC, Canada



About
Hey, I am a college girl that's majoring in creative writing. I love writing and like to explore new worlds through the script across the page. Hope you enjoy my writing. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lorena Rose