Chapter 10

Chapter 10

A Chapter by Lorena Rose

Kiara was waiting on the porch of Seth's three story house. “Hello, blondie,” she smiled at me, “How is your boyfriend?”

“He isn't my boyfriend,” I reached her first.

“You two have kissed,” she smirked, “I never thought you'd lean that way.”

“It's complicated, I am still on your side,” I looked back to see Eva and Seth arguing playfully.

“I know,” she nodded then to Eva, “So Eva, what was going on at Beckett's today?”

“Not much, Jeremiah was there so we had a few laughs,” Eva shrugged, “Earlier I tried to convince Seth to drink some beer, but he chickened out.”

 

“It tastes strange,” Seth unlocked the door, “Come on, you bunch of gossips to the garage with you.”

“Yes sir,” I smiled and he grinned back at me. Seth led the way through the house which was enormous on the inside and very open downstairs.

“Father doesn't trust any of us be behind closed doors down here,” Seth noticed me looking around, “I have to share a room with my brother upstairs when he's home so we have extra guest rooms too.”

“Or in case his father decides seven children isn't enough,” Kiara remarked, “So when did Maya learn about your lineage, Seth?”

“Last night,” I answered for him.

“Did you freak out? I went postal on him when I found out,” Eva questioned.

 

“I did overreact a little, but it's not his fault who his father is,” I walked into the garage first, “Whoa, this place is amazing.” The floor was cement and there were half-built bikes, small devices and even a car. There were objects on almost every surface and even the desk was covered with paper.

“Sorry it's a little messy,” Seth went over to the car, “That's my brother's handy work he put extra power into the engine, increased the speed and polished it up.”

“I love the colour,” I ran my hands along the smooth lines of the sunset coloured car.

“Once I get my license I am stealing it,” Kiara tried to climb in.

“No, you aren't,” Seth dragged her away from the car, “If anyone, but my brother touches this car they'll be cursed.”

 

“I already hear voices in my head, I want the car,” she kicked her feet in the air.

“You are such a child sometimes,” Seth set her down on the most developed looking motorcycle.

“You are jealous of Maya's boyfriend,” she teased.

“Kiara leave the poor guy alone,” I sighed, “He is not jealous because there is nothing to be jealous of.”

“He is your boyfriend,” Eva nudged me, “I saw you two out on the front lawn when I was going for a walk.”

“You two...on the front lawn,” Kiara faked horror.

 

“She didn't do anything like that, girls,” Seth rolled his eyes, “Maya is not that kind of girl.”

“She's not the kind of girl who wants love and affection, kisses and more,” Kiara questioned.

“Yeah, Seth,” I looked over at him.

“Soldiers taking those pills cannot feel real emotions, it is only going to end in heartbreak,” Seth warned me, “Once everything is worked out, you'll be with someone who deserves you.”

“No one deserves to be stuck with me for life,” I sat on the floor and began examining a strange invention that I didn't recognize.

“You are not a hindrance,” Seth insisted, “Give yourself some credit.”

“I'll work on that,” I bit my lip.

 

“We need to show you,” Kiara got off the bike.

“Show me what,” I sighed.

“That you are special,” she grabbed some long wooden rods, “What are these to you?”

“Fighting sticks,” I took one.

“Well then teach us a few tricks and show your skills,” she picked up another.

“That's actually not a bad idea, Kiara,” Seth grabbed one too, “Three against one.”

“Well my training stopped at age six so I am useless,” Eva lined up with them, “Here we go.”

 

“It's all about instinct,” I switched hands and spun the stick around, “Trust your reflexes.”

“Let's try one at a time first,” Eva stepped up and tried to hit me with the stick. I ducked and kicked her legs out from under her. “Ouch,” she landed hard and dropped her stick.

“Don't hesitate or give warning,” I helped her up, “Try being silent when you attack it helps.”

“Got it,” she took her weapon back and we went another round. She was better this time, but still lost her rod.

 

“Me next,” Kiara rushed me and I stepped to the side and then hit her in the back with the stick. “You're fast,” she said once she had her stick back. She managed to knock me down this time, no doubt because her mind reading, but I turned and knocked her stick out of her hand.

“Alright, Seth,” I hopped up, “You're last, show off your masculinity.”

“Sure,” he snorted then I swung at him and he blocked. I tried to lure him closer, but he kept his distance. He went to my left finally and I hit him in the side knocking him off balance. He went back towards me though and jabbed his stick into my leg. I collapsed and immediately turned to block his next swing.

“Nice,” I used my foot to shove him away and took his weapon, “Never think your opponent is defenceless though.”

“Never again,” he tripped me and I fell on top of him.

 

“This is weapon training, not a childish game,” I laughed. They all lined up to combat me all at once this time and I readied myself. I knocked Kiara out of the way and blocked then jabbed Seth. Eva and I spared for a few times then I knocked her into Seth. Kiara and I fooled around circling each other until she just rammed me and knocked us both down. We laughed and then tossed aside the sticks. “I win,” I sat up.

“You have an advantage,” Eva got up carefully, “If I had crazy skills like that, I would knock you out.”

“That's not very hospitable,” I smiled.

“You know you and Kiara are very similar with those voices in your heads,” Seth nudged me.

“You have voices too,” Kiara said dramatically, “Where have you been all of my life?”

 

“In a tragic tale of worry and depression, you had to be there,” I shrugged.

“I set my dad's picture on fire last night, don't tell anyone,” Eva bit her lip.

“How could you?” Seth acted horrified, “Does family mean anything to you? The pure unadulterated horror of an ungrateful child.”

“You can be quite a chick sometimes,” I kicked him.

“You're the man and I am the woman,” he teased and we all laughed.

 

“Seth,” Dr. Peck's voice brought dead silence. “Seth,” he looked inside the garage, “Where are you? Have you seen a blonde girl wandering around the house?”

“You mean me,” Eva got up.

“No, not you Eva she answers to the name...” he began.

“I am not a dog,” I poked my head up, “Afternoon, Dr. Peck.”

 

“Father, I believe you know my friend, Maya,” Seth got up with the rest of us.

“Friend,” Peck looked at me, “Maya you promised your brother you wouldn't make friends with other infected children, my son is not a good influence on you.”

“I know what I am getting myself into, sir,” I replied.

“Your brother was worried sick,” he said then shouted, “Garnet, Price I found her in the garage.”

“Uh oh,” Kiara nudged me, “Your boyfriend and your brother are not going to like this.”

“Not one bit,” I said.

“You can handle this,” Seth said and I looked over at him as he squeezed my hand.

 

“Maya,” Cass came storming into the room then stopped short when he saw Seth and the others. “What are you doing?” he asked angrily.

“Cass, I only kept this from you because I know it would upset you,” I started.

“Peck, get your hands off my girlfriend,” Darren strolled right over and knocked Seth down.

“Leave him alone,” I got in his way.

 

“Price, control your anger that is my second oldest son,” Peck ordered.

“Sorry sir,” he kept his eyes on me, “Garnet what are you doing with these people?”

“They're my friends,” I told him, “Do not hurt any of them again, Price.”

“I thought we had a deal, Maya,” Cass joined us, “Dr. Peck's infected son and a couple of other afflicted teenagers, this is not what you need right now.”

“They tell me things, certain information you've kept from me for years,” I crossed my arms.

 

“What information are you talking about?” Darren questioned.

“You must already know,” I rolled my eyes.

“Did you tell her?” Cass turned on Seth.

“Tell her what?” Darren asked confused.

“He doesn't know,” Kiara stood beside me, “He isn't a high enough rank to get that lecture.”

“Kiara, I am warning you I let you into this house because you promised to hold back your ability,” Peck warned her.

 

“What ability?” Darren looked at her.

“Kiara can read minds,” I answered, “Eva can move fire with her mind and Seth sees probabilities in people and objects.”

“He sees numbers and has a good memory,” Peck looked at me, “Maya, I am afraid if you're going to go out of control like this then the asylum might be the only place for you.”

“Dr. Peck, I can make her stop,” Cass promised, “You have my permission to give her the injections.”

“You can't put her in an asylum,” Seth snapped, “She's my friend, father and I won't let you.”

“Do you need injections, Seth?” Peck threatened.

“Leave him out of it,” I snarled.

 

“Garnet, Dr. Peck perhaps Miss. Garnet misunderstands something,” Darren suggested and I felt a pain in my temple, “I don't think the asylum is the best solution, exclusivity is dangerous.”

“I'll do what is right,” Dr. Peck insisted.

“You started all this,” Seth argued.

“Seth,” I said then the pain sent a shock wave through my body and I crashed to the floor.

“Maya,” Darren said then a vision flashed through me and I screamed.



© 2015 Lorena Rose


Author's Note

Lorena Rose
grammar errors?
How do you think the story is developing?
What do you think of the ending to the chapter?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

353 Views
Added on February 15, 2015
Last Updated on February 15, 2015


Author

Lorena Rose
Lorena Rose

Montrose, BC, Canada



About
Hey, I am a college girl that's majoring in creative writing. I love writing and like to explore new worlds through the script across the page. Hope you enjoy my writing. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lorena Rose