Chapter 12

Chapter 12

A Chapter by Lorena Rose

After Price was given the officer's rundown of the adaptor pills, I decided to go for a walk while he processed the information. I was debating on either or not to go talk to Seth when I ran into Nora. “Hi,” she recognized me right away, “I didn't know you were awake already.”

“Already,” I frowned.

“Oh yeah, your body temperature was severely low, you could have gone comatose,” she looked down at her virtual pad, “How are you feeling?”

“I am good,” I nodded, “So about your affliction?”

“I still can see through walls,” she bit her lip, “Just don't tell my brother it would break his heart and also keep those meetings a secret.”

“You were at the meetings,” I couldn't help, but gawk.

 

“Yeah and I was at the military banquet, I pointed you out to Darren and all of his friends were sure he'd go for someone easier,” she laughed, “I am glad he picked you.”

“So how are you feeling?” I looked at her hair, “Your hair wasn't that short before.”

“It was in my face all the time and the frost on the tips were causing split ends,” she told me.

“Your brother knows about the adaptor pills from the military and medical personnel's side, but I think you should tell him what you found out at the meetings,” I suggested.

“I will,” she assured me, “So you see ghosts.”

“More like messengers, I see future events like the storm yesterday,” I said calmly, “I think the messengers are supposed to help me understand the visions.”

“You're almost as smart as that Seth guy,” she smiled, “He's cute.”

“He is single, but you are probably only around twelve,” I raised an eyebrow, “I don't see that working.”

“I'll just admire from afar then,” she sighed, “So when are you going on your date with my brother?”

“I am not sure yet, maybe soon,” I answered, “I don't know if I can trust him right off the bat it seems risky.”

“Well he's rough around the edges, but no one is perfect and he is the best brother I could ask for,” she said, “Give him a chance.”

 

“I guess so,” I saw Darren get out of the elevator, “Your brother is probably going to want to protect you from everyone, but don't let him.”

“I am an expert at that,” she grinned.

“Nora, there you are,” Price came running over, “I thought you were going to hang out with the other military students.”

“They called me a defect,” she informed him, “I want to hang out with the other afflicted teenagers, if you know about the pills then you should know there is no cure for our afflictions.”

“No injections for you,” he said then looked at me, “You are off the hook too, Garnet your brother was stubborn, but I got him to postpone any decisions until this storm passes.”

“That's a good time period,” I ran a hand through my hair, “How are you taking the information?”

“I thought it was just something accidental or mental,” he looked at the floor, “I am starting to think I chose the wrong side.”

 

“Join the dark side, brother,” Nora offered, “We aren't that unbearable.”

“Nora, can you go find those two girls, Kiara and Eva they'll keep you company while I talk to Maya?” he commanded.

“I'll see you two later,” Nora winked then hurried off.

 

“You hate me, don't you,” Darren said after a moment of silence.

“I don't hate you, specifically,” I muttered.

“I know I act like I am military twenty four seven, but I would have quit it all if I knew what they were doing to my sister,” he informed me, “The head officer said the people were stealing extra drugs and risking their own lives to get a high, but I've seen the afflicted they aren't high you all seem scared.”

I am not scared anymore,” I told him, “My affliction saved a lot of people, so I do not think I am ashamed of my ability anymore.”

“It'll only make you stronger,” he smiled faintly.

“Exactly,” I said, “So about the date, I need some time away from Cass's indifferent attitude, Seth's constant worrying and basically all of society so how about tonight?”

“Sounds reasonable,” he agreed, “So you must like me more than you let on if you went back outside to look for me.”

“It was a debt I needed to repay,” I answered.

 

“You don't owe me anything, other than one date, Garnet,” he took a step closer to me.

“Do we have to go so fast? You know a quick flame is the first to burn out,” I took a step closer too.

“I know,” he brushed my bangs out of my face, “But I am willing to take a risk here.”

“You're just pissed off about the adaptor pills and want to make a statement,” I looked him in the eye.

“You know you don't know everything, Garnet,” he lifted my chin up.

“You know you're over a year older than me,” I said quietly.

“I know,” he leaned down, but I stopped him before he could kiss me.

“You can only kiss me if you stop taking those pills,” I told him, “I won't be with anyone who can't feel emotions.”

“I'll try lowering my dosage until I am taking them anymore, but it won't be instantaneous,” he warned.

 

“I know,” I got on my toes then for the first time, I kissed him. He seemed a little surprised for a second, but then his arms wrapped around me and pulled me closer. His lips felt soft against mine and I could detect gentleness that I hadn't noticed before.

“Hey, Price the junior officers want to talk to all of the students,” a guy's voice interrupt our kiss.

“Timing is never quite right for us is it?” he pulled away.

“Yeah,” I stepped back, “You should go to your meeting.”

“I'll see you tonight,” he kissed my hand then headed off with his friend.

“Really, Price she is infected you better watch yourself,” his fellow student hissed at him before they rounded a corner.

“Shut up,” he replied and I grinned.

 

“You're Maya Garnet,” a voice said from behind me and I turned around to see four military girls standing there. There was a blonde with green eyes, she looked severe. The redhead next to me was the dominant one with eyes like knives piercing me. There were two raven haired girls with them, but they looked bored mostly.

“Yeah, so what?” I questioned.

“So you're Darren's latest flame,” the redheaded girl closest to me, “I never thought he'd have to look outside of the academy he still has some ground to cover there.”

“In the lower grades at least,” the blonde remarked, “You should know Price has dated just about every girl in our grade.”

“Good to know,” I crossed my arms, “Anything else.”

“He only sleeps with his favourites, so you probably won't make the cut,” the redhead said, “He is amazing in bed.”

“Kelley would be the expert, he's come back to her more than once,” the blonde sighed, “Leave Price alone, ghost girl you couldn't handle it and he deserves better.”

 

“Yeah, he's mine so keep your distance,” Kelley smirked.

“Thank you for threats, girls, but Price is only getting dinner out of me as a payment for good deeds,” I informed them, “So back off because if I report you all for harassment it won't end well for any of you.”

“You're just jealous,” one of the dark haired girls finally spoke up, “You should be focusing on recovering and becoming a soldier, but you have to play the field with Price and that Peck boy.”

“What does this have to do with Seth?” I rolled my eyes.

 

“May, there you are,” Seth came strolling over.

“Everything,” the blonde sighed, “Come on, Kelley you should tell your lover about Garnet's new romance.”

“Quit gossiping,” I snapped then they walked away, “Those girls make me want to hit something.”

“What did they want?” Seth asked concerned.

“For me to stay away from Price,” I turned around, “I know that's what you want too.”

“According to my sources, he sleeps around and he's the head officer's favourite student because he can be ruthless and more deceptive than most of the others,” he told me, “I do not want you to date him.”

“Seth, I am not going to have sex with him or let him get to me,” I assured him, “There is no harm in one date though.”

“You like him, don't you,” he frowned.

“He's full of himself and vile most of the time, but I have a theory and I want to test it,” I shrugged.

 

“He'll break your heart, May,” he took my hands, “Eva, Keira and I are going to play a card tournament tonight, you should hang out with your real friends.”

“Seth, I already said I'd go out with him tonight,” I said, “I can handle this, so hang out with Eva I noticed you two had a spark during the stick fighting lesson.”

“Eva and I are only friends,” he argued.

“Come on, Seth you should date and have some fun,” I squeezed his hands, “I already have my brother trying to run my life, you're my friend and you need a life outside of chastising me for how I live mine.”

 

“Does it have to be Eva? I don't see how me and her would ever work,” he shook his head.

“You're just making excuses,” I told him, “I don't know how long we'll be stuck down here, but it could be awhile so try dating a little.”

“Are you sure you don't want to play cards?” he asked uncertainly.

“Yes, I am sure,” I nodded, “Look, I still don't know if I can trust Darren completely, but it's not like I am marrying him.”

“I suppose not,” he agreed reluctantly.

 

“I'll hang out with you guys tomorrow, I swear,” I hugged him.

“I'll hold you to that,” he laughed then I looked up to see Darren had returned.

“Seth, let go,” I ordered.

 

“Back already, Price,” Seth turned around.

“Peck, your people are first to get their rations, so go on,” Price looked at me while he spoke to Seth.

“I'll see you later, May,” Seth glared at Darren then left.

“Bye,” I muttered then focused on Darren, “It was just a hug, so leave him alone.”

“The military leaders have decided that the afflicted can stay here,” Darren said, “But Peck is pushing his luck.”

“He's not a threat,” I replied, “Besides I hear you have a lover already, you shouldn't be so judgemental.”

When I don't want to deal with emotions I go to Kelley, I haven't seen her in weeks and I only ever have one girl on my mind,” he answered.

 

“How can I know if that's true?” I demanded.

“You're going to have to learn to trust me sometime, Garnet,” he took my hand in his, “Go get your rations, I'll see you at seven.” I wasn't sure about him, but I nodded.

 



© 2015 Lorena Rose


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

324 Views
Added on February 18, 2015
Last Updated on February 18, 2015


Author

Lorena Rose
Lorena Rose

Montrose, BC, Canada



About
Hey, I am a college girl that's majoring in creative writing. I love writing and like to explore new worlds through the script across the page. Hope you enjoy my writing. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lorena Rose