Chapter 17

Chapter 17

A Chapter by Lorena Rose

After an hour of celebration, Darren managed to get me out of the room and we took a walk. “So do you have a gift for me?” I asked him.

“Well I am not your boyfriend, so...” he shrugged.

“Don't be a jerk,” I elbowed him.

“I do have something to offer,” he stopped, “In a few weeks, Rogers thinks that we could use a private exit on the bottom floor, there is a tunnel we could get out.”

“That's good news,” I felt relieved.

“He'll send out a group of us and I think I can convince him to let you go as long as you message him about any visions you have,” he said seriously.

“I get to get out of here,” I said thoughtfully, “That's one heck of a present.”

 

“I am not good with birthdays, ask Nora she usually got money or new clothes that a girl helped me find,” he commented, “You do not need pampering though.”

“I don't know about that, Seth's gift was pretty cool, I love my new phone and this bracelet,” I showed him, “It reminds me of my mother, plus I got free cavities.”

“Yeah, Peck is always the hero,” he remarked, “I am sorry I don't have a real gift, Garnet, but if you want you can consider this a present.”

“What?” I said then he turned me around sharply and kissed me.

“You think you're so smooth, this is not the gift I want,” I lied pushing him away, “I am still under eighteen and you're nineteen.”

“You're very mature sometimes,” he came close.

“I have to be,” I replied, “I still think military are dangerous people, Price and you haven't proven your loyalty yet.”

“I started lowering my dosage of the pills two days ago,” he said.

 

“How long will it take to get off them?” I asked.

“Well I will be completely back to my more obnoxious self by the trip into the winter,” he said calmly.

“That's a long time,” I commented.

“Just in case the doctors try to upgrade my dose again, they still have to do check ups here,” he informed me, “Morrison and Peck aren't allowed on this floor for sure though.”

“Who is Morrison?” I questioned.

 

“He was the founder of the adaptor concept, he was really the brains behind the operation,” he shrugged, “I stole that book Seth gave to you to read up about the adaptors before he gave it to you.”

“So that is the book I caught you reading yesterday,” I raised an eyebrow.

“Do you miss your brother?” he asked leading me into the storage room.

“Today, yes, but I will have to get over it because he doesn't really care about me at all,” I grabbed one of the crossbows and some arrows, “You know I thought love was putting other people before yourself like he did, but even then you can never let your guard down.”

“Spoken like a true cynic,” he grabbed himself a cross bow, “Your brother is just letting his jealousy cloud his judgement, he is not a real soldier because the focus isn't there.”

“You said yourself you couldn't stop thinking about me for whatever reason,” I set up the target.

 

“Why bother shooting at a target when you're annoyed with me, your brother and all of the military?” he shot it out of my hand.

“You don't need a new injury,” I shot a can off the shelf above him.

“Don't tease me,” he commented, “I know you're pissed off inside, you have a cool exterior, good looks and a charming smile, but I am willing to bet you want to hit something.”

“Why?” I demanded.

“You don't like being out of control, your brother betrayed you and the military and these people both try to victimize you,” he reminded me, “You cannot be happy when you're bitter inside.”

“I am not bitter,” I argued, “I smiled at my party and I do have good things in my life.”

“Like Seth,” he shot three empty paint cans off the shelf.

“And Nora,” I retorted, “There is more to my life than you and Seth.”

“I know that, Garnet your life is very complicated, but you cannot deny that you have flirted with Seth.”

“That's not your concern,” I shot just above his head catching his hair.

 

“Are you making a point?” he took a step closer, “The warrior is probably fighting the innocent part of you.”

“The maiden and the warrior,” I aimed again, but he shot the bow out of my hair.

“If you can't hit your brother then hit me because I encouraged him,” Darren took two steps forward so he was close to me again, “I told him that you would be better off at an institute and that you'd grow out of it like Nora had.”

“Stop trying to piss me off,” I warned him.

“I took advantage of you in the bunker and he said I should have taken it a step farther to prove a point,” he said. I slapped him hard across the face then regretted immediately. “I didn't mean to take it that far,” he looked down at me, “I can be a certain way with girls like Kelley who want something from me, but you want nothing from me and I still can't look away.”

“It hurts when you look though,” I guessed.

“Well you certainly do throw a mean swing,” he touched his cheek, “Your brother said things, but I could never push that far and live with myself.”

 

“So you do have boundaries,” I bit my lip.

“You should be a teenager still, you know,” he said.

“I'll be a teenager at heart until I'm an old woman,” I cracked a smile, “Now are you going to shoot me?”

“Not likely,” he put the crossbow on the shelf behind him and took one step closer to kiss me.

“We have to find out what the doctors are doing to the people who are missing,” I said in between kisses, “There is a lot that needs to be done.”

“Alright,” he pulled away, “But just so you know I am serious about three things now, my sister, my military career and you.”

 

“Good to know,” I said then a couple of girls walked by giggling.

“I heard he isn't picky about girls now and with those muscles,” one girl looked over and blushed. She was curvy with big blonde hair, sultry hips and red lips contrasting with her green eyes. She was beautiful by any standard and just Price's type. “Hi, soldier boy,” she smiled and I turned to Darren whispering in his ear.

“You don't have to be with me, there are plenty of girls out there you should reserve judgement,” I told him.

“Ladies, I believe you're making my girlfriend uncomfortable,” Darren looked at them.

“I'll see you around then,” the blonde said then they walked on.

“You are as stubborn as I am,” I sighed.

“Just more proof you should be with me,” he commented, “I won't see other girls and Peck is just a friend, correct.”

 

“Correct,” I muttered then suddenly I got a violent flash. I saw Seth on a table there were doctors and they were putting tubes in him and needles. I saw people in danger and the lights going out everywhere. It was all black and then a face came. It was the old woman and she spoke to me.

“My grandson,” she said then I saw Cass's eyes go dull and his fingers wrap around the neck of one of my close friends. He was killing and more specifically he was killing Kiara.

“No more mind reading,” he threw her body aside.

 

“No,” I said eyes opening again to see I was lying on the floor.

“Sorry, I couldn't catch you in time,” Price knelt down beside me.

“I need to talk to Seth,” I tried to sit up, but my body was sore.

“Not a chance,” he started to say.

“I want to see him as a friend, Darren now please go find him and bring him here along with Kiara,” I used the door frame to prop myself up.

“These visions are getting out of hand,” he got up anyways and left the room. I got hit with another vision. Darren was out in the storm and he called out my name.

 

“Maya,” he shouted, but I wasn't there to call back. He ran into Kelley and she smiled.

“A little revenge,” she shot him, “The doctors will find the girl, she's the one they want.”

“Kelley stop,” I appeared beside him then he was shot.

“Everyone will suffer and it's all your fault,” the young girl said, “You can never be strong, you aren't a soldier anymore.”

“I can still protect them,” I fought the voices.

 

“You can't even protect yourself,” a voice said and I felt a knife to my throat. I focused on reality and looked up at Kelley who was with two of her friends.

“How did you get down here?” I demanded.

“I said we were afflicted and trapped upstairs,” she pressed the knife deeper into my skin, “The doctors say you are pretty powerful, but you can't control the visions, it looks like you're weakest right after one.”

“You try anything and you'll pay the consequences,” I grabbed a bottle and hit her over the head with it, “I am not the only test subject.”

“Peck took the pills, but he did not have the conflict inside him or the strength that the doctors think you have,” another of the girls said, “My little brother is notoriously weak.”

“You're...” I looked at her closer. I saw her brown eyes and they reminded me so much of Seth's. “You're the dark haired girl from before, you and your sister must be Peck's daughters,” I got up to my feet.

“His loyal children,” her sister appeared beside her, “You should know I am Lynx and this is Jasmine, you should also know you are in for a world of pain.”

 

“You're training to be doctors no doubt,” I pushed Kelley into them, “Here is a patient.”

“I am going to hurt her,” Kelley yelled as I ran out of the room. Her blonde friend was right on my tail and jumped me before I got far enough away.

“Got her,” she laughed trying to pin me down.

“Nice one, Johanna,” Kelley kicked me in the side then flipped me over, “You ruined my relationship with Darren.”

“I did nothing of the sort,” I hit her in the side of the head.

“Enough,” she swung and cut my cheek, “That's just the beginning, Garnet.”

“Kelley,” Darren ripped her off me, “This is not your floor, all four of you go back upstairs now.”

“You're mine, Price and you'll never be satisfied down here,” Kelley growled.

“I'll take the blonde,” Rogers snatched Johanna before she could swing at me.

 

“Lynx, Jasmine go back to our father and stay there, I am a leader now and you're banished from the floor,” Seth wrapped his arms around me and I leaned on him automatically.

“We'll see what father says about that, Seth,” Jasmine laughed then some guards started dragging them away, “Father still owns you, you're still a child.”

“Maya, are you alright?” Seth asked concerned.

“Seth, I need my stationery now,” I blinked.

“Let's go back to the bunks your stuff is there,” he guided me down the hallway.



© 2015 Lorena Rose


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

305 Views
Added on February 19, 2015
Last Updated on February 19, 2015


Author

Lorena Rose
Lorena Rose

Montrose, BC, Canada



About
Hey, I am a college girl that's majoring in creative writing. I love writing and like to explore new worlds through the script across the page. Hope you enjoy my writing. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lorena Rose