Chapter 18

Chapter 18

A Chapter by Lorena Rose

When we got back to our bunks, Kiara was sitting on my bed eating a candy bar. “That better not be my birthday present,” I said then hugged her, “I am glad you're still okay though.”

“Why wouldn't I be?” she asked then her eyes focused on mine, “You saw your brother attack me.”

“It's not going to happen, the same way I am not going to be cut in half by ice,” I promised her.

“Well at least you'll put the stationery to good use,” she bit her lip, “You have to admit though, the storm did change you.”

“It changed us all, being trapped in here is making people crazy,” Seth sat next to me, “Humans aren't meant to be living like this.”

“I've never had two sessions in one day until now,” I remarked, “They were so close together, my body still hurts from it.” “I will still protect you guys,” I looked at Eva and Nora who had joined us, “No matter what.”

“They said you were the one they wanted to hurt though,” Kiara reminded me, “You need to be protected.”

“I could have handled that situation myself, even weakened from the vision the guys overreacted,” I rubbed my temples.

“You were on the floor with a knife to your throat, May,” Seth snapped, “That is not okay.”

 

“Seth, I know how to defend myself,” I insisted.

“Do you because it looked like you were caught off guard and unprepared?” he retorted.

“You two have some things you should sort out,” Eva cleared her throat, “There is a broom closet down at the end of the east bunks.”

“Do not under any circumstances, tell Darren where I am,” I warned them.

“And risk his wraith, never,” Nora shook her head.

“Thanks,” I smiled at her then followed Seth over to the broom storage. “Alright, buddy,” I closed the door behind me, “Cards on the table, why are you acting like such a baby?”

“I am not,” he complained.

 

“Come on, you are moody, spreading rumours and snapping at random intervals,” I rolled my eyes, “I am beginning to believe men do get hormonal.”

“I am not on my period, May,” he sat on one of the upturned buckets, “We never talk anymore and I miss you so I lash out.”

“Well we can be friends, you just can't hold my hand or hug me for long periods of time until Price gets over his overly possessive behaviour,” I explained.

“Why are you interested in this guy? He is bad news and military obsessed,” he questioned, “He's only going to get you in more trouble.”

“What do you expect me to do?” I said annoyed, “Ever since he started helping us he has become someone I can understand and even like.”

“Did you know his parents left him when he was a child? He had no adults to help him become a decent human being,” he muttered.

“Look at Nora, he raised her and she turned out just fine,” I retorted.

 

“He is going to betray us, I bet he is still taking those emotion killing pills,” he crossed his arms.

“You are not my brother or my father, Seth you cannot tell me who I can and cannot date,” I snapped.

“I just want things to be like before you became obsessed with this guy,” he muttered.

“I am not obsessed,” I argued, “Do you think I'd do anything if I psycho-analyzed every thought or moment?”

“Well you were a lot happier and calmer when you were with us instead of him,” he argued.

“Price did unlock a part of me that isn't as friendly, but he is helping me deal with it Seth and I know you're trying to help too,” I sat down on a low hanging shelf, “When I am having visions I know I can depend on you, but when I am angry I don't want to hurt you.”

“I can take it,” he persisted.

“No, you can't Seth you are a much gentler soul than Darren,” I reached out and touched his arm, “You're a good friend, but I know what I am doing.”

 

“Have you ever considered anyone other than Darren, little dove?” he looked into my eyes, “What if someone else cared more about you than Price?”

“Seth, I know you care, but...” I looked down at the floor, “Honestly you're both better off without me, so please don't fight him to try and get me.”

“I think I have at least earned a chance, one date,” he suggested.

“Seth, we have known each other longer than I've known Darren, but you never asked me out before for a reason,” I sighed, “We are only friends, you're just jealous because you miss me.”

“I do miss you,” he laid his hand on mine, “I guess I should savour our time together, what did you see in your visions?”

 

“You were on a table being tested,” I chewed on my lip, “There were tubes and needles, I think they may be running experiments on some of the kids they're grabbing.”

“My father would love to cut open my skull and look in my brain,” Seth shuddered.

“Sorry I shouldn't have said anything,” I apologized.

“Go on,” he urged.

“My brother's eyes were dull and lifeless, he was choking Kiara to death, I should stop,” I felt my hands shaking.

“Finish,” he took my hands.

“That girl, Kelley was in the second vision, she shot Darren and said that I was the one they wanted, Seth,” I got to my feet, “I should hand myself in.”

“You cannot do that,” he shook his head.

“Fine then, I am going to find a way out of here,” I headed for the door, “With me out of here, they cannot use my powers to their advantage, don't think that's the only time they'll try to hurt me.”

“My sisters and those girls were a freak accident you can safe here,” he tried to assure me.

“I can't stay,” I walked out into the hallway.

“Maya, wait,” he turned me around and his lips were on mine before I could stop him. Seth was not a bad kisser, but I was very reluctant to kiss him back. He pulled away after a minute and smiled. “Be my girlfriend,” he told me.

“I can't,” I took two steps back, “You cannot do that, Seth stop thinking about me and let me go without a scene.”

 

“Why?” he asked, “You kissed me back.”

“It was a mistake,” I said then hurried off. I heard him call my name and I ran faster until I reached the least heavily guarded door. I tricked the young guys into going for a break then went into the stairwell. I was on the first landing when someone grabbed me from behind.

 

“There you are,” a guy's voice said then he threw me into the wall, “Fresh meat.”

“What are you a cannibal?” I got up again.

“No, I have a different profession,” he slammed me back against the wall, “Now you don't need to tell me your name, angel, but be quiet alright.”

“Or what?” I struggled.

 

“I'll take you down to the testing centre,” he smirked, “You seem like an easy subject.” His hand trailed down my neck and into my cleavage.

“Let go of me,” I growled.

“This will be fun,” he ripped open my button down skirt.

“No,” I used my elbow and shoved it into his gut. He growled then whacked my head into the cement wall making my vision go fuzzy.

“You are going to beg,” he threw me to the ground.

“I don't beg,” I turned around and pulled out my gun.

“Just try shooting me,” he laughed.

“You're sick,” I shot the light above him causing sparks.

“I will get satisfaction,” he kicked my head in and then got on top of me.

“I'll shot,” I warned.

“Pest,” he reached back to slap me. I pulled the trigger and a hole opened in his hand. He screeched then put his other hand around my neck. “No more games,” he growled.

“Stop,” I tried to shot again.

 

“No,” he laughed then there were two shots. He slumped down onto me and blood came out of his chest. I pushed him off of me as quickly as possible and then looked up at Darren.

“You didn't have to kill him,” I said seriously, “Just because they're killing us, does not mean we have to sink to their level.”

“He was attacking you,” he knelt down beside my attacker, “We don't need rapists roaming around on top of everything else.”

“It's still murder,” I warned him.

 

“I am sorry if you think I overreacted, but I have orders to make sure the doctors and soldiers learn their lesson,” he put his gun away, “I did not kill him for pleasure, Maya, I did it to protect all of the girls on this floor, especially you.”

“I am a target, Darren,” I re-buttoned my shirt, “No amount of protection can keep me safe.”

“Not at the rate you're going,” he pulled me to my feet, “What the hell were you doing in this stairwell it is off limits?”

“I was going to look for exits,” I avoided eye contact.

“Why would you be doing that?” he turned my face to look at him, “We are leaving in two and a half weeks, Maya.”

“You and your team are,” I said quietly.

“You are staying here until then,” he said, “If I let you go, after today's stunt you have revealed that you're a hazard to yourself.”

“I will be nobody's problem out in the winter,” I started for the stairs.

“You are not a problem, Maya everyone here will be safer with you here to share your visions,” he blocked my path.

“The visions are being used for both sides, Dare and the others don't need another weapon,” I told him.

“You're just tired now, this is not a saving grace you're suggesting, Garnet,” he snapped, “It's abandonment.”

“Just keep my friends safe,” I tried to side step him.

“I am not letting you past me,” he grabbed my arms, “Focus, Garnet go back into the cafeteria and get some food and drink.”

“They'll keep coming after us, they'll take us out one by one,” I shook my head, “I will make sure I don't get captured, they won't get any more hints or plans without me here.”

“What has you so scared?” he questioned.

“Nothing, I just want to protect people,” I insisted.

“Protect people from who? Who has got you this scared?” he demanded.

“I am the danger, Price I see people hurting because I am responsible for their pain,” I felt tears in my eyes, “My visions will only get more out of control.”

 

“Maya,” he started to say.

“Get me out of here, Darren before I explode and destroy everything in my wake.”


© 2015 Lorena Rose


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

255 Views
Added on February 19, 2015
Last Updated on February 19, 2015


Author

Lorena Rose
Lorena Rose

Montrose, BC, Canada



About
Hey, I am a college girl that's majoring in creative writing. I love writing and like to explore new worlds through the script across the page. Hope you enjoy my writing. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lorena Rose