Chapter 19

Chapter 19

A Chapter by Lorena Rose

I managed to run past Darren and up the stairs until I got to the door of the top level and it was locked. I turned around and glared at Price who returned the expression. “Get me out of here,” I told him.

“Maya, you have to stay,” Darren replied.

“It's not safe in here, they're taking us out and I cannot stay guarded doing nothing, but reports,” I shook my head.

“Have you even thought about the storm?” he demanded, “You'll freeze to death out there alone.”

“I am a bomb and you know that, do you even care that I could get taken again, tortured or linked up to a computer vegetated and alone,” I let my anger take over, “Or when they are done, will you grieve when they kill me?”

“Of course, I care about you,” he growled, “Why do you keep questioning that, Garnet? I am in this for the long haul.”

“You say that, but you have every right to abandon me, I am hopeless,” I said, “I feel surrounded so get me out of here and we can both be at peace at last.”

 

“I would rather be at war with you than at peace with anyone else,” he told me.

“I'll tell the leaders you're not on our side; you have to get away from me, take Nora and go back upstairs, if I have to force you to then so be it,” I threatened.

“You won't do that,” he looked into my eyes, “Because whatever is wrong we need each other to fix it, I need your strength and you need mine.”

“Let me go, Dare,” I pleaded.

“Never,” his lips engulfed mine and I gasped before I gave in. I couldn't breathe so the kiss only lasted a minute. “Stay,” he lifted me up off my feet.

“Careful, Price you're starting to act charming,” I smiled.

 

“That is Peck's approach,” he said and I felt a pang of guilt, “Were you going to take him with you when you found an exit?”

“He won't go, he wants to make a difference here,” I frowned.

“You're the only one who can make the changes, you and Nora have a link to both groups, but Nora hasn't had the experiences you have,” he sighed, “Peck is overestimating his worth.”

“Be nice,” I insisted, “Seth is just as important as I am because I won't know everything without him.”

“Well you don't know everything,” he smirked.

“Are you going to throw out what is left of those robot pills, or keep taking them?” I questioned.

“I will soon, it looks suspicious if I do it too quickly,” he shook his head, “I am trying, Garnet.”

“Do you have to call me that, I feel like you're comparing me to my brother or my family,” I reminded him.

“Too bad, Garnet,” he kissed my nose and I rolled my eyes, “Do we always have to argue, maybe we should get counselling?”

“Not unless you want to argue about taking counselling,” I wrapped my arms around his neck.

“The war continues then,” he admired me.

“You think I am strange, you're the unusual one,” I looked into his dark blue eyes, “Why are you interested in me?”

“That's a secret,” he said smugly.

“You think you're so clever,” I said eyes narrowed.

“Please come back downstairs willingly or I'll have to carry you,” he informed me.

“There is one more reason I should leave,” I bit my lip.

“What is that?” he crossed his arms, “I hope this is not about your brother because he is not part of this anymore.”

 

“Seth kissed me,” I told him, “I kissed him back, I didn't initiate it, but I didn't stop it.” He looked livid and I knew this was an offence to his very character. “I cannot take it back, you should stay away from me,” I started down the stairs again.

“Do you love him?” he called after me.

“No,” I replied then I heard him following me down the stairs.

“That boy said he wouldn't interfere anymore, that maybe he was wrong and he'd give us a chance,” he caught my arm, “Why did you kiss him back?”

“I don't know,” I went into the bunker's main area, “Seth understands things about me and we are both in the middle of this battle.”

“That doesn't mean you have to kiss him when you don't like him,” he said then stopped, “You know, Garnet for someone who judges me for not caring enough, it seems like you are using me.”

 

“I am not using you,” I argued.

“Then what is the point to our relationship? I have given up everything I know for you, but you keep denying there is anything between us,” he remarked.

“I am not denying it,” I shook my head, “Ever since I met you, you've been this force of nature, but when you helped all of those people out I saw your strength and your compassion, I started to feel different.” “You may hate me now, but you should know Seth was someone I liked, but it was in a school girl sort of way.”

 

“You never went to school,” he reminded me.

“Like you said, it is better if we are at war with each other than at peace with anyone else,” I stood right in front of him, “Seth only wants me because for some inexplicable reason you do.”

“You know, Garnet for some reason, I like your flaws more than any perfect parts of you,” Price commented, “I don't like the eyes so much as the stubbornness in them, I do not want you any more because you're beautiful, I want you because you make me feel emotions even when these damn pills tell me to feel nothing.”

“I hope you never give in to that voice,” I replied, “But if you still want me to stay then I need you to prove you're strong.”

“Haven't I given you enough proof?” he raised an eyebrow.

“I need you to be the more responsible one, Dare you cannot hit Seth or assault him in any way because he is still my friend, he's just confused,” I insisted.

 

“I think he knew exactly what he was doing,” Darren muttered then sighed, “I'll play nice with...Adams and in exchange you will not keep any more secrets from me, I hate that I am always the last one you tell anything.”

“I'll change that,” I agreed, “I guess it's compromise after compromise.”

“There are some rewards,” he touched my face and I fought not to blush, “You know you don't need to look so confused when I do this, you are my...”

“Girlfriend,” I rolled my eyes.

“More than that,” he said then I saw a young boy walk by holding a bottle of pills.

 

“Hey,” I blocked his path, “What are those?”

“The doctor gave me some vitamins,” he showed me, “They aren't the adaptors, so they should be safe right.”

“Depends on the doctor,” I took the pill out of his hand, “Price, can I see your medication?”

“I don't carry the bottle with me anymore, Maya,” Darren argued.

 

“I need my vitamins,” the boy complained.

“I will give these back to you, once they are tested,” I promised.

“Are they dangerous because I already had two,” he asked and I examined the white pills.

“You should be fine, kid go back to your bunk and keep warm,” Darren told him then turned to me, “I'll go get my medication, you should go tell the leaders.”

“I shouldn't drag you into this,” I bit my lip.

“I am already a part of it,” he said before hurrying off. I went straight to the leaders' conference room.

 

“Miss. Garnet,” Dr. Jamieson looked up in surprise when I burst in, “Have you had a vision?”

“I will get to that in a second, but were you aware that the doctors are handing out 'vitamins',” I put it down on the table in front of Seth.

“They are standard procedure,” Dr. Hunter frowned, “Dr. Frey told us that they would make up for the lack of sunlight down here.”

“The same group of doctors who are taking our people killing them and experimenting on them, you think they care about a lack of vitamin D,” I asked in disbelief.

“Who told you they were experimenting on children?” Jeremiah stood up.

“I saw it,” I took a deep breath, “They're after anyone with a powerful gift and they inject tubes and needles into people it does something to them.”

“It might have been a dream within a vision, May,” Seth muttered.

 

“I know what I saw, my brother is one of their best soldiers so no matter what do not let him on this floor, or you're putting everyone in danger,” I warned them.

“Maybe if you talked to your brother, made him understand,” Dr. Hunter suggested, “He would be a useful ally and family should not me split up.”

“I cannot trust him, neither should any of you,” I shook my head, “You shouldn't trust these pills either because if they aren't adaptors then they may be some new form of the red pills that works on us.”

“Maya, you need to get some real sleep,” Seth told me, “I know you want to get to the bottom of this, but you are just scaring yourself over one pill.”

“There are entire bottles of them out there,” I argued, “I trust my visions, they say the doctors are up to something and it is not anything good.”

“How long has it been since you last rested?” Jonathan Hart asked, “You look exhausted, we need accurate visions and for that you need rest.”

“I think after a long sleep, you'll realize the paranoia was just exhaustion in disguise,” Dr. Jamieson said and Rogers winked at me. I had one of them on my side at least.

“I agree,” Seth gave me an apologetic look and I looked to Jeremiah.

“I believe you,” he mouthed. I nodded then turned back to Seth.

 

“You won't believe anything I said, would you Adams?” I remarked, “At least I know who my friends are.”

“We are all on your side, Maya,” Dr. Jamieson promised.

“Maybe I should talk to the girl,” Hart offered, “Show her how ridiculous her theory is.”

“I could talk to her,” Jeremiah countered.

“Hart, you are our best negotiator and Miss. Garnet, you do need someone to talk to about this,” Dr. Hunter cleared his throat then started a coughing fit.

“Fine,” I said then Hart escorted me out of the room while Darren went in, “If they are similar, Darren do something about it.”

“Got it,” he said then I hurried to catch up with Hart.

 

“Do you know what I was studying before the adaptor crisis happened?” Hart inquired.

“Sorry, I don't know,” I shrugged.

“I was studying law, I wanted to be a lawyer because I was always good with facts and people,” he led me down a side hallway and put his arm over my shoulder.

“Okay,” I frowned.

“The fact is that you do not belong on this floor, another fact is that you're too dangerous for your own good,” he commented and I stopped, “And finally your brother is a good businessman and legally he has rights to his little sister.”

“No,” I said then I heard footsteps behind me and I turned around.

“Nice to see you again, sister,” my traitorous brother smiled.



© 2015 Lorena Rose


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

294 Views
Added on February 19, 2015
Last Updated on February 19, 2015


Author

Lorena Rose
Lorena Rose

Montrose, BC, Canada



About
Hey, I am a college girl that's majoring in creative writing. I love writing and like to explore new worlds through the script across the page. Hope you enjoy my writing. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lorena Rose