Chapter 21

Chapter 21

A Chapter by Lorena Rose

I couldn't move long after the drugs finished their work and all I could think about was Kiara. Cass said without her mind reading ability they would have an impossible task finding me. I should have known I couldn't prevent every vision. I still couldn't accept this though. She was good and all she wanted was to be herself. I was never that secure in my abilities. She should have been a survivor and thanks to me she was not. I couldn't even cry because I was in shock still. It had been days, but I just sat in the same position remembering her joking around and giving me that knowing look.

I refused to eat and drink because she couldn't do those things so why should I? I knew when my eyes closed finally and I saw Cass laughing then Darren getting hit. I could not let anyone else get hurt. I tried to get up, I had to warn everyone else, but my muscles were locked in place. I tried over and over again and I saw my friends' pain. I finally opened my mouth and just screamed at the top of my lungs. My brother came running into the room and I knew this could be my last chance. “The military want war so give it to them,” I shouted then Cass hit me across the face.

“You are going straight to the doctors tomorrow, Maya,” he forced me to look him in the eye.

“You may win with your serums, but the afflicted will never all be under your control as long as they have hope,” I told him, “Kill me, take control of me, but they can survive and find paradise because you will always lose in the end.”

“What makes you say that?” he put his hand around my throat, “What did you see, you little beast?”

“I saw hope and fear, but most importantly I know that your doctors can try and try, but I will not be broken,” I growled.

“We'll see,” he said then suddenly he was on fire. He let go of me and started trying to take his flaming coat off. He got it off then he was thrown into the wall. I saw Eva, Nora and a girl, Jemma who could move things with her mind. “Officers,” Cass shouted then the other door opened and Daniels with three other officers came rushing in. The door behind Eva opened and Darren came running in and knocked two of the officers down with one swing.

 

“Maya,” Nora came running to my side.

“Can you get up?” Eva joined her.

“Get you of here,” I told them.

“Come on,” Jemma came over, “We'll have to carry her.”

“Don't try it,” Cass pulled out his gun.

“I don't think so, Garnet,” Darren threw Daniels into him. The gun fired wildly and hit one of his officers in the shoulder when they tried to get up.

“Maya, do not even try to escape,” Cass attempted to get up.

“Where is Kiara, Maya?” Eva asked me.

“She's...” I couldn't speak anymore.

“Your mind reader cannot supply you with any more information,” Cass shouted, “She is a body count now.”

“You killed her,” Eva turned on him and his clothes all burst into flame.

“Eva, don't,” I tried to sit up properly and Darren came over to my side, “Do not let him have a reason to hurt you.”

“He's right, Eva,” Nora said with tears in her eyes, “Kiara won't want you to get hurt.”

 

“Put your arm around my neck, Maya,” Price told me.

“You all have to get out of here,” I ordered.

“We are,” he picked me up and I tried to struggle, “Do not even try it, Garnet.” He kicked Daniels in the head when he tried to grab his leg and they all hurried back up the stairs. I blacked out by the time we were at the top. I woke up to the feeling of a cold cloth against my head. I trembled then I felt a hand touch my face. I kept my eyes closed though I knew it was Dare.

“Dr. Hunter, I appreciate that Hart's betrayal is important, but I haven't seen Kiara or Maya yet,” I heard Seth shout, “We can discuss it later, I have obligations to my friends first.”

“Adams, shut up,” Darren said and I heard Seth walk over.

 

“How is she?” Seth asked.

“Getting that sleep you told her she needed,” Price snapped back at him.

“How was I supposed to know Hart was a traitor? I would never hurt Maya on purpose,” he sat down on the other side of me, “Where are they keeping Kiara?”

“Seth,” I opened my eyes slowly.

“May,” he smiled sadly at me, “How are you feeling?”

“Not so good,” I felt tears spring to my eyes.

“You're going to heal up,” he promised me, “Be back to yourself.”

“I can't be,” I shook my head, “My brother killed Kiara, I can never be the same again, Seth.”

 

“What?” he went pale and I felt Darren squeeze my hand.

“He was trying to convince me to tell him about my visions,” I sat myself upright, “I didn't know they had her, Seth I am so sorry.”

“Did you tell them the visions and they decided to kill her anyways?” he asked shakily.

“I couldn't tell him what I saw, Seth I am so sorry,” I choked up.

“You just let her die, you couldn't risk telling him the visions so you let your friend suffer for it,” he stood up, “She was always good to you, Maya.”

 

“I know Seth, I am...” I couldn't think of a word deep enough for my betrayal. Sorry just would not ever be enough.

“I always thought you were a caring person, Garnet, but apparently a possible future was more important than your friends,” he said coldly.

“She died in my visions, Seth no matter what I do,” I tried to reach out for him, “I can't save everyone, I want to, but I can't.”

“Well, you better give us reports, Maya or we will have to become more insistent,” he snapped.

“After what she has just been through,” Darren walked around the bed, “Have you ever watched a friend die in front of your eyes? Have you ever been powerless and beat until you're too weak to crawl, Adams? You are just as bad as your father.”

“You better take that back, Price,” Seth warned, “You are not irreplaceable.”

“I am,” I got up to my feet though the pain just kept increasing, “I am not replaceable, Adams so watch what you say to me and my guardian because without me you will all be lost.”

“Fine,” Seth turned his glare on me, “I need a verbal report before I return to the council.”

 

“Tell them that in one future...” I took a deep breath, “The doctors develop their drugs to take over most of the afflicted and that everyone strong enough to fight it is killed.” The second future...” I started to collapse and Darren caught me, “The people find hope, they escape, but sacrifices are still made, but it's our best chance if we keep hope and force our way out of here.”

“Right,” he said then left while Darren sat me down on the bed again.

“I know you're not okay so I won't ask stupid questions,” Darren touched my face, “I am not leaving you alone again though, not even for a second.”

“It hurt so much,” I buried my head in his shoulder, “I did not know what to do and then she was dead.”

“But you're still alive,” he stroked my hair.

“I wish I wasn't,” I cried and he pulled my face away and looked into my eyes.

 

“You are still alive though, Maya Garnet,” he commanded, “You can cry, but this last week will not be the end for you, you will be stronger every moment because Kiara Everhart believed in you and would never let you give up.”

“You didn't know Kiara as well as me,” I told him.

“I did,” Eva came over and I made my legs move. I got up and hugged her. “Oh Maya I was so worried I'd lost you both,” she wrapped her arms around me, “Please do not give up, Kiara would never forgive me if I let you.”

“We have to get out of here,” I said, “We cannot stay here, it's a losing fight in the middle of their forces.”

“Kiara found out the doctors were trying to use their emotion pills on us and the 'vitamins' were all disposed of,” she promised me, “I miss her so much, May.”

“I know,” I whispered.

“We'll survive for her,” she pulled away, “I'll talk to Seth and make him see reason, you gather your strength okay.”

“I'll try,” I nodded.

“You still have me,” she told me, “Nora, Darren and even Seth we are all still on your side.”

“Always,” Darren wrapped his arms around me.

“I have to talk to Seth,” she let go of me, “I mean what I said, get strong and Price you better help her.”

“You got it, Keller,” Price agreed then Eva squeezed my hand before she headed off.

“I think I should sit down,” I started to feel dizzy.

“Alright,” he let me sit on the edge of the bed, “Do you need some water or something?”

“No,” I shook my head.

“Yes, you do,” he handed me a water bottle, “Drink it all, Garnet.”

“I don't need it,” I tried to hand it back to him.

“Drink,” he snapped and I gave in. I drank some of the water then Darren tipped up the bottle and won't let go until I'd drunken the entire bottle.

“You are still bossy,” I said once he poured more water into the bottle. I noticed that my voice was much stronger and I drank more water when he offered it.

 

“It's my way,” he sat beside me, “Rogers and two other guardians found Kiara's body and she cremated.”

“Good,” I felt a little relief, “She would not want to be left down there forever.”

“Eva has the ashes,” he kept an arm around me, “We'll spread them above when we get up there.”

“Seth will never forgive this,” I leaned against him.

“I know you love him in your own way,” he kissed my head.

“I love you more,” I looked up at him.

“I love you, Maya,” he said, “Whether the sun burns out or I freeze to death, I am yours until judgement day.”

“Even after that,” I kissed his cheek.

 

“I am sorry I ever believed in your brother,” he apologized.

“Not as sorry as I am,” I muttered.

“Daniels and Hart are in our custody so the military are in an uproar,” he said, “Your brother got away though and he is probably with Peck and Morrison.”

“I don't want to talk about him,” I stood up and pulled him up. “I have made a lot of mistakes, Darren, but you were never one of them you make me feel like I am invincible,” I smiled at him, “Whether I make it to paradise or not, I want that for you.”

“I know,” he said then kissed me. I felt my strength return as I kissed him back. I couldn't believe I still had any fight left in me so he must be giving it to me as a gift that I'd never forget. I could feel again and my body's numbness gave way to the pain of loss. I would make Kiara proud and she would know that I could still save the people she cared about most.

 

“I am getting us out of here,” I pulled away finally.

“In a week or so,” he said.

“No, I am getting us out of here in the next few days,” I kept my arms around his neck, “It all starts when we fight back, so let's prove that our afflictions can battle any of their guns, we need to go offensive.”



© 2015 Lorena Rose


Author's Note

Lorena Rose
Is the plot moving along properly?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
Added on February 19, 2015
Last Updated on February 19, 2015


Author

Lorena Rose
Lorena Rose

Montrose, BC, Canada



About
Hey, I am a college girl that's majoring in creative writing. I love writing and like to explore new worlds through the script across the page. Hope you enjoy my writing. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lorena Rose