Chapter 27

Chapter 27

A Chapter by Lorena Rose

When we reached the bunk where Darren was lying, he spotted me right away. “Hey beautiful,” he smiled slightly.

“Dare,” I tried to hug him and he winced, “Sorry your shoulder.”

“It's alright,” he promised, “Are you alright? You didn't get hurt did you?”

“No, I'm alright,” I shook my head, “Jill is going to heal your wounds, okay or try to heal as many as possible.”

“Hi, Jill,” Darren looked at her.

“He's handsome,” Jill sat down next to him.

“He's mine,” I countered and Darren chuckled.

 

“Someone has become possessive,” he used his other arm to pull me onto the bed, “Relax, Garnet.”

“I guess I can now,” I felt at home when his arm wrapped around me.

“Hold still,” Jill took his wounded arm and placed her fingers along it closing her eyes. I watched as his wounds began to close up along his arms and I checked his back to see the whip marks start to disappear. The shoulder had been pierced all the way through and the swelling around it lessened, but the hole stayed.

“Are you in a lot of pain?” I asked Darren.

“I'm fine,” he snapped, “I just hate that they tried to victimize me, use me as bait.”

“Welcome to my world,” I climbed off the bed, “I am sorry our relationship put you in danger.” “I think we should protect each other in a different way, a serious relationship could hurt us both,” I told him and Nora got to her feet.

“I'll give you two some privacy,” she said then grabbed Jill and they left us alone.

“What are you trying to say, Garnet?” he sat upright.

“I am afflicted, I am one of the most dangerous ones too and anyone close to me is going to get hurt,” I told him, “I can try to prevent it, but something always hurts them in different situation.” “I am not as special as they make it out to be, it's more like a curse,” I looked him in the eye, “You don't have this curse, you are free to do anything with your life and I want that for you there are other girls on this floor that could offer you an argumentative relationship without the constant danger.”

“There are other girls,” he sighed, “I could find someone else who likes to argue and I could live happily, I could teach our children to fight and I'd never get hurt like that again.”

“Exactly,” I turned around so I didn't have to look at him, “I release you from any promises or declarations you've made.”

 

“Do you think I could just be with any girl? Do you believe that I said I loved you in the moment?” he came up behind me, “Why do you think so little of me?”

“I lost my brother, my parents and Morrison probably has a list of my friends that he's planning to cross out one by one,” I felt my hands shake, “I don't want to hurt anymore, I am not a hero and you deserve to be with someone good, I am not her.”

“No one is purely good or bad, but if there is anyone close to being good, Garnet it's you,” he insisted, “You just saved eight children and me, you go through the pain of your visions for the good of everyone here, you are a hero and I wish I could be as good as you.” “I know in the past, I let girls go after a night and I was never serious about them all I could think about was the next mission,” he turned me around, “You've changed every person here, I would be lost without you Maya and I won't make you stay with me, but don't do it because you think it is what is best for me.”

“I love you,” I whispered and he rested his head against mine, “I know I should be strong right now, but all I can feel is weakness at the thought of people in pain.”

 

“Dr. Hunter said he thought of you as family,” Darren put his warm hands against my chilled cheeks, “You are family to me, to Nora, your friends and even the leaders.”

“Even Rogers,” I laughed.

“He told me you had the most impenetrable will he's ever seen,” he chuckled, “Now Garnet, I know you want to separate yourself from the rest of us, but that will not fix anything and you'll be more vulnerable.”

“My brother stuck a poker into your shoulder because you are loyal to me,” I felt a tear fall down my cheek, “I could almost feel it, I have to make things right again.”

 

“Why don't you get it?” he ran his hands back through my hair, “Things are right here in this moment, stop worrying for a moment and you can return to it I promise.”

“I should go talk to the guardians, Seth probably wants to give me a proper lecture,” I rambled as his arms pulled me in close to him.

“Screw Adams,” he said then used his weight to make us tip over and fall onto the bed. I laughed despite myself and he brushed my bangs aside.

“Mr. Price, are you trying to take advantage of me?” I smiled.

“I missed you every second I was down there,” he kept his hands around my waist, “Did you have any visions?”

 

“I saw the torture,” I replied, “I also saw that the two groups of us are always going to be divided, I saw that Eliot could be turned into one of those creatures like Victory.” “The soldiers are still going to attack us, break down the doors and try to take out anyone dangerous,” I said sadly, “Even if we go to the unfinished level, we might not all make it.”

“You will,” he swore, “I'll do whatever it takes to make sure everyone, but especially you and Nora get out of this bunker alive and well.”

“Just keep yourself safe too,” I placed my hand against his face and my finger wandered down to his lips.

“Maya Garnet, are you trying to seduce me?” he took my hand in his.

“I am not that type of girl,” I remarked then leaned forward and pressed my lips against his.

“I know exactly what you are,” he put his hand behind my head and deepened the kiss.

“And I know you, the real Darren Price,” I pulled away for a second, “He's a hero too.”

 

“Let's not exaggerate,” he kissed me again then suddenly all the lights went out.

“Again,” I sat up and tried to see anything.

“I got this,” Eva shouted then the fireplaces started to light up one by one.

“Thanks, Eva,” Seth joined her and put his arm over her shoulder.

“No problem,” she nudged him playfully, “Let's go see our dear friends down the row.”

“That's what you call us,” I laughed and she came running over to hug me.

“We got everyone out,” she said excitedly, “We actually did it.”

“I am proud of us too,” I agreed.

“It was still reckless, you two will not be going on any secret missions like that again,” Seth insisted.

“Being a little reckless sometimes is no crime,” Darren stood up.

 

“You'd be the expert, Price,” Seth answered, “We'll need you to show us the best way to get into the unfinished level without getting caught.”

“Seth, he is still healing let him rest,” Eva argued.

“The stairs are your best bet, I would suggest that you don't use the southwestern staircase because some people melted their lock so it's heavily guarded,” Darren elbowed me and I gave him a look.

“Are there locks on the doors, do you think?” Seth suggested.

“I doubt it, they don't think we'd risk going past them to get there,” Darren said calmly, “It would definitely piss them off.”

“It just keeps getting better,” Eva smirked.

“Show me the way down,” Seth offered and I looked at him, “With a guard detail of six guardians.”

“I want to come too,” I crossed my arms.

“You're like a lioness in spirit, Garnet,” Darren pulled me to him, “But you're exhausted physically and you need to get some sleep.”

“I cannot sleep with you gone,” I argued.

“Fine,” he offered me a metal flask, “A quick drink then we head off.”

 

“I don't think she should go,” Seth complained, but I smugly drank a large sip from the flask. I wanted to spit it out the second I recognized the taste then my reflex made me swallow.

“Price,” I said then it started to take effect.

“Go to sleep, beautiful,” he whispered then I passed out. I did not have any visions and I had a dreamless sleep for the first time in months, maybe even years. I felt warm and when I opened my eyes, I saw that I was on a down blanket in front of a fireplace.

“Morning,” Nora said as I sat up.

“How long was I asleep?” I rubbed my eyes.

“A couple of hours, Darren came back to check on you after the heat went out, but he had to go to a meeting with the leaders,” she informed me, “Are you thirsty?”

“Sure, I guess,” I looked around and noticed Eva was asleep nearby, “Did anything else happen while I was out?”

 

“It got cold in here, but everyone is keeping warm,” she handed me a flask and I sniffed it first to make sure I wasn't being drugged again. “It's hot tea,” she giggled.

“I cannot believe he knocked me out like that,” I drank some.

“He was right, you needed to sleep and it looks like you didn't have any scary dreams,” she reminded me, “We need you at full strength.”

“I still don't like his methods, I should spike his drink and see how he likes it,” I muttered.

“You two are perfect for each other,” she laughed.

“Yeah, soul-mates,” I rolled my eyes, “Did Seth check in on Eva?”

“Yeah, they cuddled a little it was weird,” she made a face.

 

“New couples are always strange and awkward,” I agreed.

“You know I should keep playing matchmaker, I set up you and my brother that turned out perfectly,” she said cheerfully.

“Nothing is perfect,” I commented, “You should know your brother and I didn't fall in love instantly.”

“I know, but you two really care for each other and your bond will only get stronger,” she said smugly.

“I am still going to beat him up when I see him again,” I warned her.

“All is fair in love and war,” she shrugged.

 

“You are the worst little sister,” I nudged her.

“You two are loud,” Eva sat up, “Morning, sleeping beauty how are you feeling other than betrayed?”

“Awake, energetic,” I replied, “How are you doing?”

“Feeling refreshed, Seth kissed me again tonight and this time it felt like he meant it,” she touched her lips, “His brother was handsome, but I did always like Seth's personality better than any other guy's.”

“He is a charmer,” I commented.

“I was so sure he was in love with you, I couldn't understand why you'd pick Price until I saw you two together,” she shook her head, “I couldn't believe when Seth gave up his fascination with you to date me.”

“You both deserve to be happy,” I said with a smile, “Everyone here should be as lucky as us.”

 

“As long as we escape,” Nora snorted.

“We will,” Eva assured her and I kept my smile in place though I felt pain in my gut.

“I hope you guys...” I started to say then I saw something in my mind. The doors were frozen up and kicked off their hinges. The ice covered the floors and soldiers came rushing in from the top floor and the bottom. “We have to get everyone downstairs,” I held my head, “Now.”


© 2015 Lorena Rose


Author's Note

Lorena Rose
Are they going to make it out?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

217 Views
Added on February 20, 2015
Last Updated on February 20, 2015


Author

Lorena Rose
Lorena Rose

Montrose, BC, Canada



About
Hey, I am a college girl that's majoring in creative writing. I love writing and like to explore new worlds through the script across the page. Hope you enjoy my writing. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lorena Rose