All things that We Are

All things that We Are

A Story by Carlos Lorenzo Estrada
"

This is a semi autobiographical tale but has a poetic feeling to it. I believe strongly its message is important for all to feel. It is a very short read.

"
All Things that We Are


By


Carlos Lorenzo Estrada 



     I died those many months ago. Though my suicide was a complete failure I did manage to kill a piece of me.  The innocence, the part that discovered the ephemeral nature of first love and its tragedy. I was a broken boy at the edges end of my teenage years. All I had to face my coming manhood was a devastated heart and broken soul. The destruction I had wrought upon myself was obvious. The scars on my wrist and near skeletal remains of a once healthy youthful boy were all that remained. In a final act of defiance I had managed to make off with my parent's car. They had ignored me treating my return home with a bit of indifference and annoyance since I had caused such a scandal to their name. The early afternoon party they threw was to repair their sullied reputation brought upon them by my actions.  So I left taking flight in their yellow four door '79 Buick. 


     I found myself driving along the coastline between Seaside and Monterey.  It was a beautiful day, but I still couldn't see it for what it was.  My mind was still so fractured, broken, without clarity. I laughed one moment and cried the next, there was no control of these emotions.  They were simply revealed like a Pandora's box of opened raw nerves throbbing like fresh wounds.  I made my way weaving through the small city to drive along the path of lover's lane.  And through my own intuition found the spot to finally stop the car and leave its comforts behind.  I don't know what brought me here to this particular spot by the sea.  Was it preordained, or simply the machinations of chance in a universe of endless possibilities.


    I removed my tennis shoes before stepping upon this hallowed ground. Its serenity was palpable with a sense of prescient nature.   It had known of my coming well before I arrived. The white seagulls floated overhead almost in place in welcoming my presence before the house of all things.  Her breath washed against my skin with the salty sweetness of a divine caress of a ghost who recognized those that are lost like themselves.  The sand was like powder beneath the soles of my feet.  With each step it seemed to lift me up and move me gently forward toward the endless blue.  I was lost in her.  Gazing upon the infinite searching for the convergence between these opposing forces of indigo and azure, sky and sea.  Drawn toward her by some innate primal instinct that reflected the beginning of all things living; home.


     I was her broken child and she wept for me, within her calm fury.  The sea foam swept across my ankles with a stunning coolness, then retreated back into the body of blue. She would not have me because I did not belong to her anymore. It was then that she gave me a final gift, so that I could reflect upon her unsaid words and find the clarity of purpose.  To my side walked a doe and her fawn. This eternal moment of brevity stunned me with its beauty.  Nature walked by my side unafraid. Because they knew and recognized in me themselves.  Creatures lost and wandering the world until their tired feet bring them home.

© 2021 Carlos Lorenzo Estrada


Author's Note

Carlos Lorenzo Estrada
Thank you for taking the time to read this short piece of writing. I truly do appreciate it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Amazing and wonderful story. I read it three times

Posted 2 Years Ago


Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

Thank you Irtaza for your kind words. It truly means a lot. We write what we know, and what we know .. read more
This is awesome writing. Aside from the storyline, what stands out to me is the way each paragraph is written in a completely different style, each one written in a style to demonstrate a step-by-step descent into surrender. P1 is so hectic & cerebral. P2 begins to get out of the head & into the sensory. P3 dives even deeper, beyond the sensory and into spiritual awe. And finally from spiritual awe into surrender. Thank you for sharing this exquisite demonstration about how to let go (((HUGS)))

Posted 2 Years Ago


Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

Thank you Margie for your thoughts on this story. These things happened with two exceptions. I overd.. read more
what a sad story with a lovely ending. sure glad your suicide attempt didn't work out.
i think most parents are preoccupied with public family image & seems to be at the apex of all their concerns. image preoccupation is evil in my eyes, it makes people very self-centred.

cheerio carola

Posted 2 Years Ago


Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

Thank you Carola for your kind words. I truly appreciate them. In writing this short memior it is my.. read more
I agree my friend.
"Creatures lost and wandering the world until their tired feet bring them home"
I loved the complete story and I agree with the above lines. Thank you Carlos for sharing the amazing story and your thoughts.
Coyote

Posted 2 Years Ago


Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

Thank you CP, for your comment on this story. I won't ever forget that day on the beach. I don't thi.. read more
Coyote Poetry

2 Years Ago

You are welcome Carlos.
A heartfelt story of desperation and hurt. So beautifully written and I was able to understand the magnetic nature of the ocean, it is where one goes to heal. It was amazing to watch your moments of despair evolve into a beginning by the sight of the fawn. These are nature's gifts that the Creator gives to us during our darkest moments. The sighting of the fawn turned an ending of despair into hope in a beginning. Congratulations, a lovely story of life.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

Thank you Carol for your kind words. When we are young we are filled with powerful emotions. They ar.. read more
The emotion, the way you wrote it, it’s all completely majestic. You wrote this in such a refined but interesting way, the sadness palpable. It’s very descriptive and full of emotions that are intense and strong, but relatable. I particularly like the part with the deers and does, it was so beautifully written. And the way you wrote the sea was enchanting as well. The visuals you painted were so vivid and bright, but dark when it needed to be.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

Thank you Colacat for you kind review of this piece. You perfectly described my intent on writing th.. read more
Vertigo Cat1111

2 Years Ago

Yes, it was beautiful, the way you create a safe haven and show that everyone has been through their.. read more
Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

Thank you so much for these kind words on this work from the bottom of my heart I truly appreciate t.. read more
dearest Carlos... we are part of Nature by the Sea... yearning to be free...
searching for that Shell where we will find Comfort in our Sorrow. truly, Pat

Posted 2 Years Ago


Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

Thank you, Pat, for the kind comment on this piece. I truly appreciate the words you have said and a.. read more


.......... I see the broken child has a god gifted golden pen .. A compelling tale told terrifically well Carlos .. ....... My hat is off to you sir ............ AGT's .. Neville

Posted 2 Years Ago


Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

Thank you my friend for the kind comment. I truly feel grateful to be a part of a community of so ma.. read more
Neville

2 Years Ago


as far as I am concerned, we are both truly blessed :)
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
It's a very nice descriptive writing with full of emotion. I felt sorry for your move in the teenaged year... Yes, that vulnerable age of life when a loss seemed a mountain which was impossible to cross... But i am happy you found yourself with new joy and hope.

The sea description was just awesome... The foam touching the ankle and retreating into the sea... It's so visual. You aptly wrote that when nature surrounds us with much love then its our pain that touch them and we found solace in them.

It's a very touchy piece... Thank you so much for sharing

Posted 2 Years Ago


Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

Thank you so much my friend for your review on this story. I will never forget that day for as long .. read more
.

2 Years Ago

You are so welcome... Pls keep writing and posting
I was her broken child and she wept for me, within her calm fury.
such a sad but beautifully penned story with a poetic tone
to it the way you use the descriptives are vibrant and
so nicely placed within..im glad you're suicide attempt
failed.now in retrospect you have written what you felt
at that time in your youth..very well expressed also

Posted 2 Years Ago


Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

2 Years Ago

Thank you Fran for your kind thoughts on this piece. That moment still touches me to that day. I wil.. read more
  Fran Marie

2 Years Ago

yes we all made those mistakes
in our youth and we reproach
ourselves later and wond.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 20, 2021
Last Updated on August 20, 2021
Tags: Love hope joy life

Author

Carlos Lorenzo Estrada
Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

salinas , CA



About
If I can say something worth saying that makes just one person think about others...I'll try. The greatest storyteller was my grandmother. I miss her stories. Also, I would like to add to please pay.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


It rained today It rained today

A Poem by Gee