In the house of Hastur

In the house of Hastur

A Poem by Carlos Lorenzo Estrada
"

Recently read an old H.P. Lovecraft story where this evil entity was mentioned. This poem whispered itself in my head.

"
In the House of Hastur 

By

Carlos Lorenzo Estrada 


(Hail, the King in Yellow)


In the dreamscapes of reality 
exists a house of depravity 

For hidden in its woods of dread
lies dormant evil; whose name's unsaid 

Lurking within a shadowed land
where ashes rain like powdered sand 

Mercurial skies of ebony 
cascade in aphotic symphony 
 
For the gulfs of Madness call us forth
in the dwelling of death and foul discourse 

Give warning to those who are lost
beware of this place for it levies a cost

So be cautious of the yellow sign
should you discover its macabre design 

For Hastur demands blood be spilt 
In this house; no human hand built...

© 2022 Carlos Lorenzo Estrada


Author's Note

Carlos Lorenzo Estrada
I'm a huge fan of Lovecraft since the first time I read one of his stories at about 10 yrs old. He captured my imagination despite the fact I rarely understood most of the words he used in his writings at the time. But I loved and was mesmerised by his style and evocative storytelling. Even though he himself had questionable character flaws, being a bigot for one thing and some of his work reflecting such attitudes. I still can distinguish the art from the heart. He was an incredible visionary with a mind that taunted us with fear in his prolific style. It is no secret he was a fan of Poe. There is a sadness that he never got the adulation for his work while he was alive and pretty much passed from poverty and ill health. He was by no means a perfect man, but he sure knew how to scare the hell out of people. And because of that he changed the genre of horror a bit as well. I'm a fan and admire his art.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I am unfamiliar with Lovecraft, but this Hastur character sounds like a Satan wannabe. May even be encroaching on old Lucifer's territory. Reminds me of DeSantis trying to dethrone Trump.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

1 Year Ago

Thank you JB for your comment on this poem. I have always been a fan of horror and also high fantas.. read more
As much as I enjoy your writing-and I do-I always begin with hopes you have expand ed your universe to embrace the rigors of free verse. To paraphrase part of an essay by Ezra Pound: if you use rhyme at all it should couple with surprise. The line should follow the musical pattern, not the meter.
“The apparition of these faces in the crowd: Petals on a wet black bough.”

Winston

Posted 1 Year Ago


W. Barrett Munn

1 Year Ago

Rhyme is part; it is easy to allow it to become the all; same with meter or syllabic verse.
T.. read more
Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

1 Year Ago

I find there is such a unique rhythm one can find in reading and studying individual artists poetry... read more
Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

1 Year Ago

In the end we are all students in life. Only after our final breath have we become graduates. Wishi.. read more
Carlos the wording of this piece is perfect. It leaves a uncertainty like a mist or darkness which, like a penumbra, leaves partially visible but at the same time, hidden objects that evoke fear and thereby horror. We fear what we do not know, thereby death and madness being such a common theme. This was well set in a dreamscape, leaving room for a great deal of uncertainty and angst. The mention of the lost is another fear provoking image. If taken metaphorically dreams can be nightmares and may hold symbols of our waking reality. If this was taken in Jungian manner it presents some rather dark archetypes But as Freud said "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." Regardless your wording is exquisite.

Posted 1 Year Ago


I wish I had read or known of the book this poem is based on; or should I say inspired from.....the words just spill blood, and gory stuff, probably something kids shouldn't read, but I love your evil words and how you put them together so boldly; as you usually do; from your notes, this storyteller died unknown and a pauper....how sad....
Best, B

Posted 1 Year Ago


Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

1 Year Ago

Thank you B for your comment on this poem. The words are inspired by a short story from the famed p.. read more
Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

You're very welcome Carlos (sorry I couldn't write more, but not knowing the character impeded my re.. read more
I can see how the words of this whispered to you, in much the same way Vincent price' spoken part in Michael Jackson thriller album
Whispered to me to pick up the pen for the first time, instead of just twirling it or doodling with it.
Your words read spoke their voice to you, just the same as Vincent price' words spoke to me, although to be honest I had audio help with mine.
Both portrayed a bygone time and it oozed from their pores. If I am ever writing anything with sinister undertones, I always have his voice playing in the background of my mind.
Great piece my friend, proving whispers are scarier than screams.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

1 Year Ago

Thank you Lorry for your comment on this poem. Both Lovecraft and Poe are my writing inspirations w.. read more
Wow! You are talented indeed as H.P. Lovecraft. Poem is artistic and spooky. I like the idea 💡 of the gulf of madness. Maybe you can write a short story. Up to you.


Posted 1 Year Ago


Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

1 Year Ago

Thank you kindly Sami for your comment. I really appreciate it. I have to admit that Lovecraft is .. read more
Very nice dance of words my friend. I must read the book. I don't know if we can know sanity Carlos. All of us dance on a thin edge. Right or wrong. Fight or run. Accept life as-is? I enjoyed the poetry. You made my old mind ponder and think. Thank you for sharing the amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 1 Year Ago


Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

1 Year Ago

Thank you CP for taking the time to read and share your thoughts with me on this poem. I agree most.. read more
Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

I agree Carlos and you are welcome. Was powerful and worthwhile poetry.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 31, 2022
Last Updated on October 31, 2022
Tags: horror

Author

Carlos Lorenzo Estrada
Carlos Lorenzo Estrada

salinas , CA



About
If I can say something worth saying that makes just one person think about others...I'll try. The greatest storyteller was my grandmother. I miss her stories. Also, I would like to add to please pay.. more..

Writing