The Windowsill

The Windowsill

A Story by Kain Delo
"

Two weeks after their fight, Blake finds her MIA boyfriend, who was supposed to be at Art Camp with Vanessa Keynes, outside her house with his guitar beside him and his pride was nowhere to be seen.

"

DATE STARTED: FEBRUARY 19, 2015 (8:24 PM)
DATE FINISHED: FEBRUARY 20, 2015 (1:00 AM)
DATE EDITED: PENDING
WORD COUNT: 2,478

"Blake, Eric's outside."

My sister's voice snapped me out of my trance and made me fall off the cushioned windowsill I was sitting on.

I blinked at her. There is no way Eric could be here. He is supposed to be at that stupid Arts and Crafts Camp making gaga eyes at Vanessa Keynes. Why the hell would he be here? He's not welcome in any household I am in right now.

I checked the window beside me. He sure as hell was right there. Sitting on the sidewalk with his guitar right beside him.

"Blake! I'm in! I got in!" Eric yelled excitedly. What was he talking about?

I nodded at him, waiting for him to tell me. My memory has been a bit busted from all of the Physics homework Satan gave us.

"You know that really awesome Art camp I've always wanted to go to?" He asks me.


I have never heard of his desire to go to camp. Most especially an art camp! This was news to my ears.


I decided not to tell him this because he looked genuinely happy and I didn't want to ruin the moment for him. His uncle has always kept him on a tight leash. Maybe a summer at a creative camp would fix his over-protective mama bear instincts.


"Well, six months ago, like exactly six months ago today, Vanessa mailed in the application to the camp, which I might add, was in my trash bin, behind my back and despite my warning not to and Mrs. Canachez just gave me my letter and it says I got in!"


Did he just say Vanessa Whorestastic Bitchylicious Sluttacious Vavavaherpes Keynes?


My smiling mouth formed a thin line. Wasn't Vanessa the girl who was trying to break us up?


Eric seemed to notice this and asked me what was up.


"What's up, Eric Kristoff, is that you let Vanessa Keynes into your house six months ago and allowed her to snoop through your trash! Six months ago, I was on the way to the hospital, for an allergic reaction to the peanut butter in her "Vote Vanessa for President!" cookies! Let's not even forget the fact that her cookies tasted horrible!"


He held me by my shoulders, shook me gently and looked me in the eye. "Blake, that was an accident."


I scoffed. "Oh you mean like that one time she just so happened to trip and fall right in front of you?"


Eric ruffled his hair in frustration. He knew how much I loathed Vanessa and also how much I have tolerated her flirty attitude these past two years because of his friendly relationship with her.


One look into my eyes and he knew that I wasn't backing down.


After that fight, we drifted apart. There was no formal break up, which meant we were still together, per se, but it felt like it was.


It happened on the last day of school, so we had no trouble avoiding each other and letting ourselves cool down.


And now three weeks later, he suddenly shows up at my door? What gives?


I stared at Sarah, who was wearing her cute rabbit onesie and carrying her favorite story book, Elois at Christmastime, and then at the


"Let's play a game, Sarah!" I told her childishly, pulling her away from the window and into my bed.


She asked me what the game was called. S**t.


I put on my best Thinker face and thought long and hard. Hmmm-ing authentically.


When I had a name, I grinned at her and pushed my face right in front of her own and blew a raspberry at her. She giggled.


"It's called, 'Who can blow the best/worst raspberry at Eric'?" I told her, blowing another raspberry to get her a little bit more excited.


I walked over to the windowsill and Sarah followed me. Since she was a little short, she couldn't get up the windowsill without help, so I carried her up and told her to wait while I looked for something to start the game with.


The first thing I saw when gave my room a onceover was the purple guitar pick I stole from him. It was too small, so I kept looking. Besides, it looked cute.


And then my eyes fell on the Barney-colored pukey object resting on my bed and grinned. It was perfect.


"But I wanted a purple and green bear, Eric!" I whined as offered me the panda he had built at the nearby Build a Bear shop that he just came out of.


He rolled his eyes and dumped the panda into my arms and held my shoulders from behind to push me away from the shop.


I pouted as he steered me to his favorite ice cream shop and parked me in the table for four that we always occupied.


My eyes wandered to his figure as he lined up to order our usual stuff. My nose picked up on the cupcake scent that the plain, black and white panda had. My favorite scent. I bit my 
lip and squealed on the inside.


Eric may treat me like one of the guys that he occasionally makes out with but underneath his adorable Squidward interior was a loving Spongebob.


The thought made me smile. My Eric. My boyfriend of two years. The boy who knew me inside and out.


When he got back with my salted caramel ice cream and sat in front of me, I made a huge deal out of standing up with the panda enveloped in my deathly hug and sitting down beside him and giving him a peck on the cheeks.


"Thank you." I whispered.


The moment after that, I tried to scoot a little bit to the left to give him space but was restrained by his arm around my waist.


Suddenly, the rest of the shop disappeared and the panda was taken from my arms and placed on my lap as Eric used his delicate painting fingers to pulls my chin up to face him.


It was just him and me. Alone.


"There is nothing in the world that I would not do for you Blake." He told me.


Yeah right a*****e. Nothing except keep being friends with Vanessa despite the fact that she's done so many things to try and ruin us.


I grabbed the panda that we had dyed a mixture of purple and green a week after he got it for me and then walked back to Sarah who was practicing her raspberry face.


This was going to be fun.


I hugged Sarah from behind and opened the window. Eric didn't hear it open so I had to use the panda.


"Hey douchebag!" I called him.


When he turned around at the sound of my voice, I grinned and aimed for his head and threw the panda, praying to the beings above that it would hit his pretty little a*****e face.


His shocked face was absolutely hilarious and made my grin even bigger, which in turn, made my cheeks hurt. But it was all worth it.


The panda hit him square in the face and he looked so deflated it almost made me feel bad. Almost.


He took the panda from his face, frowned and then placed it on his guitar and stared at me.


I stared back and Sarah took it as a sign to go to bed.


She ran out of the room as fast as she could and closed her bedroom door.


Little traitor.


"What do you want, a*****e?" I asked him loudly, the playfulness in my tone, diminishing.


It took him next to a minute to respond. Almost as if he was mustering up the courage to talk to me.


"I want to talk Blake! I'm sorry about lying!" He yelled back.


Two days after the fight, my friend Sierra and I were in the public library, returning a few books our mothers borrowed.


"I don't know B, Eric's been acting mopey and weird. I think he misses you." She told me.

My eyes watered. I missed my Eric. The blast of cold air conditioning hit me and made me miss the warmth Eric always gave off.


He always went with us when we returned the books. Him and Gordon, Sierra's step-brother. Always with us when we walked to the library and back where we'd hang out at Gordon and Sierra's and have Wii battles. Always walking with an arm around me and always pulling me close when he instinctively thought I was cold. I missed Eric.


"Where's Gordon?" I asked her, changing the topic.


Sierra shrugged, "Probably at the batting cage with the guys. He's picking us up, though. I think he'll be here in a bit."


I nodded in understanding.


We returned the books and then waited for Gordon to show up on the steps of the library. Soon enough, his car comes up and we get in.


"Idiot, buy us french fries." Sierra ordered, punching Gordon as she got into the passenger seat beside him.


Gordon rolled his eyes and starts the car, driving towards the nearby McDonald's and going through the Drive Thru counter and buying Sierra her fries.


My eyes widened in amazement. What possessed Gordon to do what Sierra told him to do?


Sierra, as if she were psychic, turned to me and winked, "He lost a bet, babe."


I formed an o with my mouth and gave her a thumbs up. I then mouthed 'Great job, beyotch!' to her and silently applauded her.


"I can see you, Blake." Gordon deadpanned, ruining Sierra's moment of awesomeness.


I stuck my tongue out at him and he turned back to the road.


After a few minutes of silence, Gordon's mouth opened again.


"I uhh… overheard Vanessa and Eric talking in front of Casey Tateman's locker yesterday." He said.


My ears perked up, ready to hear more gossip from a boy who has done nothing but listen to his step-sister gossip for years now.


"They were talking about a camp."


I nodded, "Yeah. An Arts Camp a couple hours away. Apparently, you can only get if they like your application." I shrugged, rolling my eyes.


"So anyway, they were talking and apparently, Vanessa is also going to the camp and they were planning activities they could do together and stuff like that."


I bit my lip, a habit I really have to get rid of, and sighed. "Of course she would apply to the thing to get closer to Eric. Considering the fact that I would never go to a camp like that, it'd be the perfect time for a little sexy time with my boyfriend. The f*****g b***h!"


"B, calm your tits. It's Eric we're talking about! The dude loves you and no amount of sexy time with Vanessa is going to change that!"


All of a sudden, it turned into every teen movie ever.


"But Sie! With all of that open space and no me to c**k block, they're bound to hook up!" I complained, my arms violently moving around, threatening to scratch the glass.


I took a deep breath and closed my window, stomping around my room and yelling profanities inside my head.


Another deep breath was enough to minimize my silent rant into a mumble of curses as I robotically marched down the stairs and opened the door that lead to Eric.


Hours after we had our fight, I was ready to apologize but apparently, he wasn't, so I kept my distance. I still don't understand why he's only decided to come to me now.


With all the noise I was making to get to my disconnected boyfriend, I probably would have woken up my parents. But since they were out of town, it was just me, my older brother Jared and Sarah in the house, which had meant pizza for a week and a half now.


When I turned on the light and opened the door, he was there, his guitar slung across his back and the panda in his left hand. I stepped out and closed the door behind me, my eyes clashing with his.


He took his own deep breath and in the next second hugged me tight.


Being in his arms made me melt, and brought back memories of us when we were together. For days, I've been fighting off the urge to say that I've missed him but right now, with his arms enveloping my body, it was impossible. I buried my head in his chest and took in his scent. Paint and earth with a hint of lemon air freshener.


Soon, we settled to sitting on the steps of the front porch with my head on his shoulder and the panda back in my arms.


Without words, we made up.


Under the night sky, we finally promised that the fight was never going to happen again.


Hands entwined, we agreed that nothing was going wrong with us.


The chilly air made me shiver in my sleepwear of flimsy pajama bottoms and an old shirt that had a drawing of a peanut butter on it. A gift from my brother, I bought it for the irony.


Eric noticed and shrugged off his letterman jacket for Chess and gave it to me to wear. I blushed at the action and then snuggled closer to him.


We stayed like that for a couple of hours, just staring at the nothingness. Contented smiles on both our faces. When the sun started to slowly rise up again, I invited him inside, grabbed a box of my cereal and went back into my cave with Eric following me.


We were in the middle of my room, staring at each other. It was like neither of us knew what to say. So I asked him when he had to be back.


"Whenever you want me to, honey. I'm hoping it's soon but not really." He replied, enveloping me into another warming hug.


And soon, we were back on my windowsill, like old times, with my toes under his thigh and him randomly playing notes on his guitar.


At one point, I had apparently passed out and was carried to bed. Seconds after I landed onto my soft bed, Eric came to join me, his arms wrapping around my waist and his chin rubbing against the top of my head.


I didn't question whose car he drove to come to me.


I didn't ask where Vanessa was, nor did I care.


I didn't worry about my brother seeing us because he's brought home a lot of girls in the past.


All I thought about was the boy in bed with me who cared to drive twelve hours to spend the night outside my house, greet the day with me and then sleep through a wonderful Monday morning right beside me.

© 2015 Kain Delo


Author's Note

Kain Delo
新年快乐 everyone! That means Happy New Year, as in, HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR! XD I stayed up to type you guys a really cute story because I care!

Also, I was listening to Anna Scouten's cover of First Day of My Life the entire time I was writing this. (Well, there was that one hour of talking to my honeybutt, Roman. But eh. Doesn't count.)

I was going to post this last night but the power went out while I was writing the author's note so ehhh.

Good news is, because I couldn't post it last night, now I can brag about how I just scored a 93 out of a 100 on my Oral Presentation for Commitment and Involvement for the third qualifying exam for the YITC program of my Red Cross Chapter. :3 I give credit to my experience in public speaking to my debate brothers, Henrich and Brian for helping me improve my bullshitting game a lot as well as my convincing powers and all the other shit that you need to become a good public speaker.

I really hope I get in. Like, it would honestly be the best way to start my summer vacation and my college life if I were to become a Leadership and Development Program instructor for the Philippine Red Cross.

XD Kbye

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Those two characters sound an awful lot like two people I know ;) One of my favorite stories of all time, Blake and Eric are so sweet, although they both acted really immature at first, they saw their mistakes and made up in the end, well done :P

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

355 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 19, 2015
Last Updated on March 31, 2015
Tags: love, romance, humor, breakups, drama, hurt, comfort, guitar, blake, sarah, eric, vanessa, panda, chinese new year, gordon, sierra, jared

Author

Kain Delo
Kain Delo

Philippines



About
Hey there! I'm Kain. An eighteen year-old Political Science student that's been writing for roughly six years now. There isn't much that you need to know about me to enjoy my stories. I'm just a ra.. more..

Writing
Coffee Mug Coffee Mug

A Story by Kain Delo