Shattered Glass

Shattered Glass

A Story by sneha

Shattered Glass ~ By Sneha Mishra

 

 

Detective Albert Coggins, from a tough burdensome day, sat back at his chair. Yawning lazily, he lay his head up on his hand and allowed his weary eyes to rest for a while.

 

It had been a long day, mainly because nothing much had happened; just hours of studying previous case files and analyzing his performance on them. They weren’t very difficult for Coggins. He was a smart man. He had always been. Ever since he’d graduated from the Ridgebourne Academy of Investigation, Albert Coggins had established himself a reputation among the people and the media as a brilliant detective. Until now there wasn’t a single case that Detective Coggins hadn’t solved. Even his seniors came and asked him for advice on their cases.

 

Coggins liked his profession. In fact, he loved it. Even in this young age, he had already achieved what he desired. Criminals not only in Ridgebourne but across the whole state hated and feared the name Coggins. It was the result of his constant hard work, dedication and most importantly his quick-witted brain.

 

“Ring Ring”

 

The sudden ring of the phone woke Coggins up from drifting off to a slumber.

 

“Hello?” he said with a fuzzy voice from sleep, “Coggins speaking”

 

“Detective Coggins?” replied a nervous female voice, “Hi. This is Charlotte, Charlotte Huston.”

 

“Hi Charlotte! Is there something wrong?”

 

“Yes, and this is why I called you.” She continued on hesitantly. “Actually,as you probably know, I am "I was the personal secretary of Mr. Jonathan Williams. He has been found " found dead.”

 

Dead?”the detective responded, now fully awake. Mr. Jonathan Williams was a very well known businessman and in fact, a friend of Coggins.

 

“Yes. The police came and went. They believe it was a suicide but I have my doubts and I sincerely hope that you come and investigate. I assume you have the address?”

 

“Yes, I do. I’ll be right there.”

 

 

*****

 

 

 

 

 

The red department cruiser slowed down as it crossed the big bridge leading to Jonathan Williams’s majestic house. The grandeur of the estate immensely impressed Coggins. Despite the fact that Williams and Coggins were old friends, he had never actually been to this new property of his.

 

The car rolled down to a slow stop outside the main gate. Norton, Williams’s old porter, welcomed him. Norton was somewhat an enigmatic personality. He had a small, petite physique, auburn colored hair that was heavily gelled and slicked down, a round paper-thin face and big piercing eyes that always seemed to stare you down. Although Coggins had met Norton a few times before, at Williams’s old home, he hadn’t really ever been pleased by his mannerisms.

 

“Good evening, Mr. Coggins. Everyone has been awaiting your presence.” He said as Coggins entered the house. He was indeed impressed by its wonderful ornament. Norton gestured him into the main living room and Coggins followed. He was left alone to explore while Norton fetched the other members from upstairs.

 

As Coggins entered the room, he could feel his heartbeats throb rapidly and his hands shaking like a leaf. Investigating his own friend’s death was something that he had never anticipated. Just the thoughts of it made him feel sick. But as a detective, he had learnt to remain or at least look calm and professional at all times.

 

Coggins began wondering why Williams would commit a suicide. He was an undoubtedly rich man and owned all the things that a man could ever desire. He himself had told Coggins that now that he had achieved everything in his life and had secured his children’s future, he wanted to die peacefully. Peacefully. There was absolutely no reason why he should’ve committed suic…

 

“Detective Coggins?” his thoughts were interrupted by a glum female voice that he recognized. Charlotte Huston, the personal secretary of Williams. Coggins had known Charlotte as a fairly beautiful woman with soft tanned skin, mesmerizing brown eyes, and black permed hair but now all the crying made her suddenly seem a lot older.

 

 

 

*****

 

 

 

 

Charlotte solemnly led Coggins upstairs to the room where the suicide had taken place. Outside the room he could see six others; Katherine (Williams’s daughter) and her husband James Lander; Jennifer (Williams’s other daughter) and her husband Victor Griggs; the two housemaids, Nicole and Karla and the porter, Norton. 

 

“I requested the police to leave the body as it is, for the time being, so that you could investigate”, she said as they stood outside the room.

 

Coggins entered the room and before him lay a horrendous sight. His friend was lying frozen on the sofa and in his hand was a .357-Magnum revolver. Coggins stared at the crimson red spot at the center of Williams’s head as a stifled groan escaped him. His eyes were bloodshot red and leaked with sorrow. A long awkward silence surrounded Coggins, pleading for justice. It was almost twenty minutes before Charlotte finally broke the silence and reminded him of the task in hand.

 

“The police think it is a suicide” she said, “but there was undeniably no reason for Mr. Williams to have committed a suicide. Up until this evening he was in his usual jolly mood. In fact, we all had a grand dinner together. He seemed to be laughing and enjoying himself thoroug-”

 

“It is not a suicide”, Coggins interrupted, in an attempt of recovery.

 

“I beg your pardon?”

 

“I said it is not a suicide…it’s a murder.” He turned around to face the others as an echo of the word “murder” waved amongstthem.

 

“Yes, it’s a murder” He continued, taking out his pistol, “I’ll demonstrate. For instance, I am going to shoot myself. The most obvious and convenient place for me would be at the side of my forehead. But if you look at the bullet wound on Williams’s forehead, it’s right at the center. That means he either shot himself like this…” he said pointing the pistol at the center of his own forehead “…which is extremely unlikely or that someone else shot him and later put the pistol in his hand, disguising the incident as a suicide!”

 

A loud murmur encircled Coggins. “Now, if you would all kindly excuse me, I would like to investigate the crime scene.”

 

“Certainly”, Katherine responded and the crowd left him alone to inspect.

 

Coggins roamed around the room. He closely examined the bullet wound on Williams’s head. It was symmetrical, exactly at the center. It seemed that someone had shot him from a very close distance. Such precise shooting would be extremely difficult from a long distance; assuming the murderer wasn’t a professional.

 

Coggins wandered to the windows and the doors. The windows were all locked. He opened them to see possibilities for someone to escape through there but there appeared to be none. There were no pipes or conduits that could be used for a getaway. Even the walls were smoothly painted and thus, it was impossible for anyone to breakout.

 

He then observed the entrance area. It was heavily secured. It required a password to both get in and out of the room. There was no possible way the murderer could have got in. Just then Coggins noticed that the door was broken. In fact, there was no door; it was only the doorframe. He observed the area and noticed several glass crystals outside the door. Then Coggins examined the doorframe and found glass crystals hanging from there, too. It appeared as though someone had gone through by breaking the glass.

 

Coggins returned to the others. His eyes darted across the different faces. “Well, I have examined the crime scene. Now, I would like to know where each of you were at the time of the death?” He continued, “Starting with you Katherine?”

 

“Certainly. Well, I was in the library. It was around 6:45 pm, right after dinner. I was going through the different books. Just then, I heard an immensely loud gunshot.” She continued in a brittle voice, “I rushed upstairs, assuming it was where it came from. I found Victor, Jennifer and James were already there, in Dad’s bedroom. And then…I saw… " ” She hid her face in her hands, torrents of grief coursing down her cheek.

 

“I understand. Charlotte? Where were you when you heard the shot?”

 

“I was in the study. Just then, I heard a terrifying blast. It was so loud, I couldn’t move from my chair for very long. Then, I finally managed to get out of my seat and run upstairs. I found everyone already there, screaming vigorously. It was a complete chaos. And then, then I saw the sight myself…”

 

“Hmm…so you were the last one to come upstairs?” asked Coggins.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Alright. Victor?”

 

“Jennifer and I were in our bedroom, discussing some private matters. When we heard the gunshot, we immediately rushed upstairs and found James already there.”

 

“And where were you James?”

 

“Well, I was in my bedroom. It is upstairs, next to Dad’s room. I was changing into my nightgown. The sudden gunshot startled me. I rushed into the corridor to see what was going on. When I knocked on Dad’s door, there was no answer. After a few vain attempts, I tried to break the door; I couldn’t. Then I noticed the glass and decided it was the only way to get in. When I finally got in, I…I…was mute. I couldn’t comprehend what had happened.”

 

“So you were the first one to discover the death?” Coggins intruded.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Hmm…Ok, Norton?”

 

Norton seemed stunned to hear his name. “Me?”

 

“Yes! You’reNorton, aren’t you?” A soft titter fluttered amongst the members as Coggins beckoned his hand for silence.

 

“Y-Yes, of course.” He said timidly as he shifted nervously in his chair. His fingers intertwined with each other repeatedly as he fidgeted with them. Something about him told Coggins that he was a prime suspect.

 

“I-I was outside in the garden, having my cup of coffee, that I usually have after dinner. You can ask Nicole. She served it to me.”

 

“Yes. Yes, he is right.” Nicole fortified Norton while Karla nodded in between her sentences, “I served it to him in the garden. Then Karla and I sat down for dinner, as usual, after everyone had eaten. When we heard the shot, we immediately rushed upstairs and…and the rest you probably know.”

 

“Yes. I do.” Coggins said with a sigh, “Anyway, you all must be pretty tired right now. Take a rest. I’ll send for you, if needed.”

 

“Mr. Coggins?” It was Charlotte’s voice, “You can get fresh and take some rest. You must be pretty wearynow.”

 

Coggins thanked Charlotte and assured her that he would take some rest, but the truth was that he couldn’t. It just wasn’t possible. Every time, he closed his eyes, the dreadful incident danced around in his mind. A single drop of despair gushed down the corner of his eye and soon the drop turned into a salty river. They were blaring for justice with each trickle of emotion.  His long and slender fingers slowly reached for the tears that dripped slowly down Coggins’ face, and with each drop he promised revenge to the murderer. He was immeasurably frustrated. His thoughts were shattered like the shattered glass outside Williams’s room. He could no lo".

 

Wait a minute. Glass. Shattered Glass, outside William’s room. How in the world could he have forgotten the glass? Coggins suddenly felt so stupid. The solution was always, literally, right in front of him.

 

Coggins hastily walked downstairs to the living room and sent the maids to get everyone. After everyone had gathered in the lounge area, he started speaking.

 

“I presume all of you know why I have sent for you?” his eyes scurried across all the faces as a murmur surrounded him.

 

“Yes, I have solved the murder mystery. If you don’t mind, I shall explain.”

 

“Not at all. Please continue.”

 

“Well, I suppose it would not be a surprise if I say the murderer is one of you?” Coggins continued, as, once again, the whisper amongst the people started.

 

“First of all, starting with Nicola and Karla. Upon investigating, I found out that you two have a fair alibi that proves you were having dinner when the murder ensued. Therefore, I pronounce you to be innocent”, Simultaneously, they both yearned a sigh of relief.

 

“Now, Norton. I was very perplexed when I saw your mannerisms. You seemed intensely nervous about some"”

 

“Alright, you got me!” Norton vigorously interrupted, “Yesterday morning, when I went, as usual, to serve Mr. Williams his breakfast, I saw him looking closely at a bunch of shiny pebbles. When he went into the bathroom, to get fresh, I went to the safe that he had forgotten to lock and noticed that they were no ordinary pebbles. They were diamonds. I tried my best to control it, but my greed defeated my loyalty and I couldn’t help it. I quickly sneaked the diamonds in my pocket. When Mr. Williams came back, he didn’t notice anything and I came back.” Norton’s face was red and his eyes were staring down at the floor in disgrace. Everyone else seemed astounded, their wide-eyes piercing at Norton.

 

“So you are the murder?” Katherine asked him between racking gasps.

 

“NO! NO, I am not the murderer! I swear I am not. My only crime was to steal the diamonds. But tell me Mr. Coggins, How on earth did you find out?”

 

“I " I didn’t. In fact, I was going to say that you are innocent. There was nothing against you. But, thanks to your confession, I am now forced by law to arrest you for the crime of theft. Anyway, resuming with our initial crime, Katherine, Charlotte, Jennifer, Victor and James. When I thought about it first, I could see each of you as possible murderers. Jennifer and Victor, you both could easily be lying. However, when I asked Karla, she said that she saw you arguing about something. Therefore, you are innocent.

 

“Katherine, Charlotte and James, you have no secure alibi. All of you were in a position where no one had seen you. I was entirely confused and frustrated but just then I remembered the shattered glass I found outside Williams’ door.

 

“Now James, you said you broke the glass from outside, to get in?”

 

“Y-Yes”

 

“Oh, that’s interesting. Usually when someone breaks a glass door from outside, the glass breaks towards the inside, not outside. I’ll tell you what happened.” Coggins leaned forward, his pale face going purple. “You went inside Williams’ room and shot him, at the center of the head. Next, you placed the gun in his own hands to camouflage the whole incident as a suicide. You then tried to get out of the door but didn’t realize it required a password. So, you broke the glass and got out. Although, you planned it all out very carefully, you ran out of time. Just as you were about to leave Jennifer and Victor saw you. You told them that you had got in by breaking the glass and found Williams dead and that you were coming down to inform them. Obviously, they believed you and you had got yourself a perfect escape.

 

“But, my dear James, I should say you completely astonished me. What had my dear friend ever done to you? What was his mistake?”

 

Everything!” James brutally got up the chair. His face was flaring with ferocity. “His mistake was everything! Yesterday, after dinner, he sent for me. When I went inside, he told me he knew the truth.”

 

“What truth?” Katherine interrupted. “What was the truth that was so great that it forced you to kill my father?”

 

“You! It was you! He told me he knew that I married you solely for the money, and he knew that I was having an affair with Lydia, my secretary”

 

“What?”

 

“Yes. He blackmailed me. He said if I didn’t break up with Lydia, he would tell you everything and take me out of his will. I didn’t want to lose all the wealth, nor did I want to lose Lydia. I was furious. I thought for a while, then, when he wasn’t looking, I slowly picked up the gun that was in his drawer. His eyes were closed, so it was easy for me to go and shoot him. Then I quickly disguised the whole thing as suicide. That way, I would get the most part in his will as he had listed Katherine and me on the top. Then, I would divorce Katherine and marry Lydia. But you Coggins ruined everything. You -”

 

“Shut up!” Jennifer cut in, “You killed my father. You…you must be insane! You should be ashamed of yourself!”

 

“Ashamed my foot! That old junk deserved it!” James sneered.

 

Coggins’s hand clenched into fists and punched right into James’s stomach that sent him flying across the room with the speed of sound. The next thing he saw was when his body made contact with the opposite wall and he flung down like a sack of potatoes.

 

Coggins took out a pair of handcuffs from his pocket and arrested James. “You will have plenty of time to regret in prison”, he said droplets of  sweat trickling from his forehead.

 

 

 

*****

 


 

 

© 2012 sneha


Author's Note

sneha
I am in year 9 so it might not be up to expectation but please let me know if you have any suggestions

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

230 Views
Added on October 19, 2012
Last Updated on October 19, 2012
Tags: murder, shattered, glass, crime, thriller, detective, short story, story, narrative

Author