Paris, Pastels & Forgiveness

Paris, Pastels & Forgiveness

A Story by Sarah
"

a short story (maybe long if I have the time) based on a dream I recently had.

"
I take deep breaths. One by one. I can do this, I can do this, I can do this is the mantra howling inside my head as I look at the airport. I was finally leaving everything behind, leaving it all for Paris, a place in which I longed to see once again after a trip a few years ago. I finished school and so I decided, as a gift to myself, I would move to France, start over, begin a humble little life as a Parisian. It all seemed so simple, just dropping everything I've loved and known for a place I was yet to call home. But you see, I am tired of this false home, this home in which I felt alien. 

What was hard for me, was finally saying "f**k you" to all my heartaches and miseries. I decided when planning out this move that I wouldn't take my past with me, I wouldn't especially take him with me. I was done with everything and everyone; none more than him, the one who destroyed my heart- moreso than my first love, which says a lot. 

I came alone-- my family said their teary goodbyes at the house. They understood the least why I was going, but I reassured them I would always call, write, Skype, whatever modes of communication possible. My family wasn't who I was running from nor are my friends, they have all been so kind and generous and loving. No, it isn't them. It is him. It is them, my wounds. I have had enough of having to be near him, to have the haunting reminder of what could've been. 

One last breath. I enter the airport. I am closer and closer to a new life. I cannot wait to have Paris breath herself into me, resurrecting me. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"FLIGHT 1098 to PARIS, YOU CAN BOARD AT GATES A, B, and C..." 

There it is. 
Here I go. 

I sip the cheap wine from the cheap airport restaurant, gather my bags and head straight for the gates, entering the humid shaft and away from the life I used to know. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

105A 
105 A 
105 A 

I look desperately around, shoving through the claustrophobic airplane isles making way to my, hopefully window, seat.

I finally found it, and I see two people already in their seats; one on the outside and one in the middle. I pay no mind to them and I squeeze myself to my quaint window seat. To my delight, the sky is drenched in beautiful pastel blues, pinks and oranges-- such a beautiful sight, a metaphor for bittersweet endings and beautiful beginnings. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The plane has ascended and I have desperately tried to fall asleep, but I cannot. I look over at the people I am sitting next to; vague shadows in the poorly lighted plane-- plus the world outside is now veiled in black ink with the occasional stroke of stars. 

I close my eyes, in vain and for a moment I see his face and he is calling my name, in a plea, in a whisper, and in a tone of surprise?

"Sera??" 

I open my eyes, I turn on the little light and looked over at the figure next to me; neither words or sounds came from me. I couldn't believe it. After five years....no.....it cannot be... I must be dreaming. I need more wine.... I need my Xanax.........I need.... 

"John?" 

 

© 2015 Sarah


Author's Note

Sarah
also on my wattpad; a work in progress, not sure how far I'll go-- I have a lot of unfinished projects :/

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
Added on March 17, 2015
Last Updated on March 17, 2015
Tags: dreams, original

Author

Sarah
Sarah

LA VERNE, CA



About
20. ULV. History major. Aspiring professor and writer. Published writer on tumblr (ditavonmexo & thetruthenlightensme), wattpad (bl00dy_sabbath) fictionpress (funeralmoon) thoughts.com (shygirl101) an.. more..

Writing
Glory Glory

A Poem by Sarah