Miracle Worker

Miracle Worker

A Chapter by Sophie

Twenty-One


Ali


“So we're going out for a big dinner tonight, to celebrate Lou's birthday, because it's hard to do it on Christmas Eve, and we're going to a very formal restaurant, and I've decided I'm treating you to a dress.” Jay says, leading me into a dress shop. The girls immediately run to the racks, and I don't have the heart to turn down trying on the hideous hot pink, floor length dress the twins picked out, so I try it on first after picking out a few of my own and the other girl's suggestions. Lottie gets to try on dresses too.

I open the door of the dressing room in the pink thing. Even the twins admit it's bad. I go back into the stall and pull on a baby blue, one strap, skin tight dress I picked out. It's nice but not formal enough. I watch as my eyes change from grey to brown with the change of clothing.

“It's a no.” I say, stating the obvious as I walk out. Jay nods and I go back into the dressing room.

“Oh Lottie! It's beautiful!” I hear Jay squeal, I quickly put on the next dress so I get to see. It's white and knee length with a not-too-long v-neck, the straps are grey and there's a thin grey belt across the middle. The bottom is tulle. Lottie spins, grinning.

“Lottie! You're so pretty!” I say.

“You think so?” I see the look in her eyes I so often see in mine, after Louis calls me beautiful: hope.

“I do.” I smile. This dress is a no, too, I decide and go back into the dressing room to try the next one on. I always turn away from the mirror before trying things on, because I like surprises. So when I turn around I have to stop myself from screaming in happiness. It's perfect. It's gold, but not too shiny, more of a warm color than cold metal. It has a sweetheart neckline and an empire waist. The bottom of the skirt is A-line and goes to just above my knees, it poofs out slightly, it even has pockets! But that's not even the part I love the most. Rising from the empire waist, a slightly darker lace goes over it, and up to my neck, and down in long sleeves that fit perfectly. I open the door and everyone gasps.

Lottie grins, “Ali! You look beautiful!”


Jay insists on doing my hair for the dinner, I protested and told her it was Lou's night, but she wouldn't give in. She turns me around to look in the bathroom mirror, and I have to make sure that's me. The dress turns my eyes to an amazing topaz color they've never been before, which Jay highlighted with brown eyeliner and mascara. She gave me a healthy glow with a light colored concealer and bronzer. And my hair! It's done so intricately, and all up off my shoulders so the dress's open back is shown off.

“I think this will just make Louis' night.” She grins.

“Oh my gosh! You're a miracle worker!” I say, turning around to hug her. She's already done and so she ushers me to the top of the stairs where Louis waits, having already asked for a sneak peek. I'm still wondering if all this is necessary, it's his birthday dinner!

But when I round the turn on the stairs and see his blue eyes sparkling, I don't really care.

“Wow.” He says. “You look beautiful.” He whispers, almost in awe. Behind him the girls giggle.

“Thank you.” I say, grinning. He puts his arm around my waist and we head off for the car. Jay drives and Lottie called shotgun. I'm a thorough believer in the laws of 'dibs'. The twins and Fizz can't fit into the back, so Lou and I are shunned to the back of the mini van.

Daisy keeps turning around and grinning at us, and I hear her whisper to Phoebe, “It's like Cinderella!” I smile at that and lean closer to him.

The restaurant is amazing. The food is amazing. Louis' relatives are amazing! I've also started to develop a British accent after being around so many... Whenever I talk Louis gives me a weird look and I have to assure him its an accident.

I give him one of his presents, glad I wrapped them separately, the toy striped Lamborghini, and when no one's looking he plays with it under the table.

After dinner we head home. I get into the bathroom, reluctant to wash away the hairstyle and make up. I actually feel beautiful. I step out of the dress lovingly and hang it over a towel rack, then I go to turn on the water. How do you do this? I fiddle with it for a bit, then wrap up in a towel and poke my head out of the bathroom.

“How do you turn on the shower?” I ask no one in particular. I hear Lou laugh from the other room, and Lottie comes out from her room and shows me how.

“Thanks.” I smile.

“No problem.” She says, closing the door on her way out. I wash away my momentary prettiness. But when I get out of the shower and glance in the mirror, I'm not horrified by what I see. I still feel pretty.



© 2012 Sophie


Author's Note

Sophie
reviews please!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Her eyes change color according to what she's wearing!? That's pretty cool...but I don't remember you mentioning it before...

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Awesome as always!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Awww! I want the perfect dress...and Louis...and England...Rawr! LOL awesome chapter!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ali the Brit....

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

284 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 7, 2012
Last Updated on July 7, 2012


Author

Sophie
Sophie

-, MA



About
I'm 16 in my sophomore year of high school, I started on this site when i was 14, took about a year break and now i might be back, im just fixing my description because i was annoying as f**k last yea.. more..

Writing
untitled untitled

A Poem by Sophie