Listen

Listen

A Story by Sophie
"

based off something I wish would happen... :/

"


I hate you. I think at Mr. Bloom, my math teacher, though I know he can't hear me, however eccentric he is. First of all, he moved my best friend from her seat behind me to wherever in the universe she sits now. Then he moved who ever was sitting next to me and put my fricking crush in their place.

Right. Next. To. Me.

I mean, I understand its the start of a new trimester so he wants to get the people who need front and center most in the front and center, but Adam? Really? F**k everything.

Not only that, but I have English class with him. English class where we peer edit short stories we write. I'm a writer, I love writing, writing is my thing, so watch me get paired up with him and he'll read it and be like... well I don't know what his reaction would be, but I'd turn red either way and I pretty sure my blushing isn't attractive.

I'm so shy it's really bad. I blush when asking a question in class, when answering a question. Near the beginning of the year Mr. Bloom tried to make me yell my question, or answer, whatever it was and the loudest I got was normal speaking voice for a very quiet person, and then I refused to go any louder. Flat out refused.

“C'mon! Yell!” He'd encouraged.

“No.” I said. Just that. No. He walked away after that, I'm not loud.

And now Adam might have a chance of reading my fricking short stories. Fantastic. I immediately put all my hair on my left side and tilt my head down so it hides me from Adam. I'm going to sit like this every math class for the rest of my life and I know it.


“Remember, your short stories are due in three days! Make them your best, I want to know your writing level.” Miss Prong says as the bell rings. I've had mine written for a few months now, it's my best work, but only in plot, I'm going to beef it up a bit, put more description in there and less dialogue. We've been in the second trimester for about a week now and I'm still hiding behind my hair and answering and asking nothing in math.


For once we have free time in algebra II. I'm writing on my iPad, editing my sort story (our school gives the iPads to us for the four years because they were cheaper in the long run than books) when I feel my hair being tucked behind my ear and someone reading over my shoulder. I freeze. Why am I not normal?! Most people would scream, or at least turn to see whose hand just touched your face. Finally, my reflexes decide to kick in, though not even a second has passed, it just feels like it.

I turn to see Adam smiling at me.

“Sorry, I was just tired of only being able to stare at your hair, I wanted to see your face.”

Is this happening?

The bell saves me from having to reply with a very witty, very quiet, “Oh.” I get up, my face incredibly warm and red, I'm assuming, and I go to grab my bag but I see it's on Adam's back.

“Now you have to walk with me and I'm going to make you talk.” He grins cockily, and I feel my eyes widen.

“I talk.” I croak, though it sounds like my voice has never been used. Damn you shyness! He chuckles and we walk out into the hallway.

“So how's your short story for English coming, it's due today, right?” He asks, hoisting my rainbow backpack higher onto his shoulder. I try not to laugh at how weird it looks.

“Yeah, it's due today. And it's almost done, I'm on the last line of editing so it's ready for peer editing I guess. Writing is like, my thing, it's what I do, like yours is sports.”

He looks at me wide eyed.

“What?” Is there something on my face? Did I say something wrong? What if what I thought came out of my mouth didn't and I told him I already had out wedding planned? (Which I don't, but what if I said it?!)

“Was that three full sentences?” He says, baffled.

“Shut up.” I laugh, nudging him, though I'm relieved. Who is this girl and why is she comfortable nudging Adam Samuels?

“Well, can I call you for peer editing? If you like to write so much, you must be really good and I don't want to have to tell someone their writing sucks.”

“Deal.” I laugh.

“But have no mercy on me, tell me exactly what you think.” He says as we walk into the classroom. I go to my usual seat in the back where my friends made me sit, but he stops me, “Sarah, sit in front of me today.” He says, patting the desk. My friend Brooke (the girl who was moved from behind me in math) nods vigorously, knowing I like him, and the others motion with their eyes to the seat.

“Fine.” I pretend to be annoyed, but I'm smiling so he knows I'm not. I sit down and I jump when he pokes me with his pen.

“Okay, hopefully you all have your short stories, now pair up, read them, and edit them.” Miss Prong says, “Go.”

“I CALL SARAH!” Adam shouts, holding up my hand. Everyone stares, used to his antics, but not me being involved in them. I laugh, turning pink again, and I take out my iPad, opening the story. We trade iPads and I read. I'm a fast reader, so I'm done long before him, and I watch his face as his eyes travel along the lines of words. As he reads the end he looks appalled. I know it's sad, not a happy ending.

Suddenly he reaches across his desk to where I'm turned around in my seat and squeezes my cheeks together with his huge hands, “How does all this talent fit in this tiny person?” He says, shaking my head violently with his hands. Somehow I manage to blush when he does it.

He doesn't give me a chance to answer or anything, he gets up and asks Miss Prong if he can read it out loud.

“What?!” I say, probably louder than anyone but my friends have ever heard me talk.

“Don't worry! It's great.” He encourages me. I lean back in my seat and put my hair in front of my face. I sink lower and lower with each passing word until I literally have to stop myself from falling out of my desk. I cautiously look around. Most of the class is listening intently, staring at Adam's lips as the words I've written leave his mouth.

As he reads the ending I watch in utter amazement as two girls start crying.

There's silence. Then Miss Prong stands up and starts clapping, looking at me. I hide more behind my hair as the class erupts in applause, but I'm smiling.

What is going on today? Adam talks to me, not only that, but is acting like my friend, and everyone liked my story.

“Okay, okay settle down now, go back to editing.” Miss Prong says, sitting back down at her desk and I can feel my cheeks are still hot. Adam sits back down behind me.

“Okay, where were we?” He asks.

“Thank you.” I say, unable to stop smiling.

“You deserved it.” He says, “But now tell me the truth, how bad was mine?”

“Erm... it has a nice plot, you just might want to work on the... words.” I say chuckling as I look at his iPad.

“So... everything?”

“But the plot.” I nod. He laughs loudly and everyone still seems to be confused as to why Adam Samuels is taking a sudden interest in shy, quiet, nose-in-a-book Sarah Lynn.

Interest.

No, it couldn't... no. That's not possible.

“You've gone quiet, what are you thinking about?” He asks, looking into my eyes.

“Oh nothing, just wondering why you've decided to talk to me all of a sudden.” I shrug. Did I seriously just say that. Sarah! God, why are you so stupid?!

The bell rings and I grab my bag before he can and practically run out the door to lunch. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I feel a hand grab my wrist through the crowd of people and I stop and turn around. Adam is holding my wrist, and we're just standing in the middle of people trying to get by us, people talking, people yelling, people laughing. But yet all I hear is my heart pounding, and I feel completely alone with him.

“Sarah.” He says.

“Yes?” I answer, watching his hand move from grasping my wrist to entwining with my fingers.

“Will you go out with me?”

Now, here's another problem with my brain. It's not normal. So, instead of saying yes like any NORMAL person would do, mine tells my mouth to say, “Why?”

He looks taken aback, “Because I like you.”

Again, “Why? I'm not special.”

Again, he looks incredibly surprised, and takes a step closer to me. “Not special? How in the world could you be considered ordinary? You write masterpieces and you're beautiful and funny and kind and even though you don't talk, you listen. Sometimes that's all a person needs, for someone to understand them, and you can because you don't try to input. You just let people vent and then you tell them you understand, something most people are incapable of. Something I'm incapable of. I've liked you for a while because of that, because of your ability to listen and believe. But I can tell right now you're not believing a word of this.” He says quickly, holding both my hands between us now.

I shake my head 'no'. He sighs in frustration. Then I see an idea light his eyes, and before I know what's happening, he's placed his lips gently on mine. I hear my friends scream from where they've been watching, unbeknownst to Adam and I. He pulls away, “Do you believe me now?”

“Maybe I will later.” I smile.

© 2012 Sophie


Author's Note

Sophie
gahhhh I wish this would happen :P
reviews please!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

LOVE it!

Great description of shyness and of high school. It was wonderful how the narrator responded to Adam and to having her story read aloud.

I have two questions:

Are boys that persistent?

What kind of monster asks teenagers to peer review their stories!

You write really well and really smart. Can't wait to see your next post.

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This was so cute, and well written. I'm squealing and I don't do that often.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

gahhhh your writing makes me get all girly and lovey-dovey! I would just die if something like that happened to me! Seriously, I'm less of a hopeless romantic than 95% of the guys I hang out with, and if they ever saw my reaction to your work i'd never hear the end of it. You're incredible! I love how personable Sarah is and how you built Adam up and the whole ending and gahhhh! Even though the entire thing seemed to build up to that ending, you put the reader so into Sarah's thoughts that it was ust as surprising for me as it was for her. I love this!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your story always surprise me. You write with the skill of a veteran of many years pen. I like the situation and the conversation. You led the reader to the surprise ending. A entertaining story. Thank you for sharing the excellent tale.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is sooooo good :) I really like it!

Posted 11 Years Ago


LOL
I'm sorry
*refrains self from saying something inappropriate that author would hate me for :D*
anddd okay bout the story love the name Adam, and it was nice to read overall :D


Posted 11 Years Ago


Sophie

11 Years Ago

MESSAGE ME THE INAPPROPRIATE I WANNA KNOW NOW

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

807 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on December 10, 2012
Last Updated on December 10, 2012

Author

Sophie
Sophie

-, MA



About
I'm 16 in my sophomore year of high school, I started on this site when i was 14, took about a year break and now i might be back, im just fixing my description because i was annoying as f**k last yea.. more..

Writing
untitled untitled

A Poem by Sophie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


mist mist

A Poem by CHRIS ANDES


My Queen My Queen

A Poem by CHRIS ANDES