Stop The World, I Want To Get Off

Stop The World, I Want To Get Off

A Story by Fetish Ewing
"

Two boys paired together during summer camp face the terrible consequences of the prejudice each has for one another.

"

It couldn’t have been a worse situation. Both boys thought that it must have been some kind of cosmic joke that they were paired with each other during cabin assignments. Cuffy leaned against the doorframe, his dark arms crossed indignantly as he leered at Thomas. Thomas was slouched on the front steps of the cabin, head almost buried in his knees. He stared out in front of him, but it was obvious that he was far, far away from the moment. There was a thick humidity in the air, and sweat was rolling off of their bodies in beads, sticking them to their t-shirts, but they didn’t notice.

Thomas didn’t make the effort to turn around when he spoke, though he raised his voice.

“Why don’t you go inside, Cuffy,” he suggested indifferently.

Cuffy broke his gaze from Thomas for a second, feeling awkward, then he nodded back at the back of Thomas’ head.

“I ain’t goin’ inside wit’chu.”

Thomas shrugged. “Well, then, I guess you’re sleeping on the porch. Better grab a mattress and bring it out here before I get tired and want to go inside.”

Cuffy shook his head. “Man, shut up.”

Thomas stood up and turned to face Cuffy. He took a step towards him.

“I’m gay,” he said firmly. “GAY!!!” he immediately screamed following after. Cuffy’s head rocked back surprise and he quickly rebounded, taking an intimidating step towards Thomas.

“You got a problem, homeboy, we’ll settle it right here,” Thomas spat, and the two bumped chests and immediately pushed each other away. They began to circle each other.

“Come on, n***a,” Thomas goaded, as he put his fists up. “Sup?”

“Man,” Cuffy shook his head as he hopped and stepped in a back and forth prowl, ready to fight, “I ain’t with that ‘in the booty’ white boy s**t.”

Thomas’ foot flew up and connected with Cuffy’s sternum. Cuffy caught his ankle and twisted it, flipping Thomas and sending him crashing onto the dried, dusty wooden boards. Cuffy jumped on top of him and bound him in a headlock. Thomas reached behind himself and clasped Cuffy’s head, gouging his eyes with firm thumbs. Cuffy’s grip loosened. Thomas swung his elbow under and jabbed him in the ribs. He wiggled out of Cuffy’s grip and flipped around. Both boys proceeded to punch and pummel each other in equal spurts as they rolled over and over.

Thomas took an opportunity to right himself, and Cuffy followed suit. His execution was off-balance, and Thomas took his chance. He swung his foot and kicked Cuffy’s ankle out from under him. Cuffy flung sideways, slamming his head into both wooden railings on the way down. Thomas heard something crack during Cuffy’s fall. He stepped forward and inspected the railing. The first railing was crooked and splintered in the spot where Cuffy’s head connected. Cuffy moaned and began to pound his fists weakly on the floorboards.

Thomas wasn’t going to fight Cuffy anymore. He was trying to catch his breath. There was a searing pain in his left arm and in his chest. He stepped back as Cuffy staggered back on his haunches, glowering at Thomas. Thomas inhaled deeply and extended his arms. Cuffy backed up, supporting himself on the railing. He touched the spot on his head that made contact. He winced and pulled his fingers back.

“Should’a taken up boxing,” he groaned.

“Yeah,” Thomas sniffed. “Maybe you should have.”

“No,” Cuffy shook his head and nodded at him. “I’m talkin’ ‘bout you.” Thomas stared blankly at him. “We cool?”

Thomas was incredulous. “We’re cool because I just kicked your a*s!?” He scoffed. “Man, f**k you!”

Cuffy pressed his lips together, not knowing what to say. He tried again.

“So, you’re gay?” he asked modestly.

Thomas inhaled impertinently, and kept his stern silence.

“I - I mean, yeah, I don’t think that’s right, but -”

“- Cuffy,” Thomas cut him off. He shook his head. “Stop. You cause all of these problems.” He pointed a finger at him. “Why are you even here? Why don’t you go back to your ‘hood’ and play some basketball. That’s all you people do; you don’t read, you don’t want to learn anything, all you do is listen to stupid rap music that’s all about ‘b*****s and hoes.’ I mean, do you really think you’re going to be somebody someday and not be some drug dealer or a baby-daddy to a bunch of - of, yeah, ‘hoes’?” Thomas’ expression crumbled into a withering scowl. “You’re not a person. All of you should just die.”

Cuffy looked back solemnly at Thomas.

“I know that’s what all y’all white people think.

“No -” Thomas started.

Yes,” Cuffy cut him off, “Y’all do. I see how the counselors talk to alla y’all all relaxed and s**t and talk to me all business-like because, to them, ‘I’m just a thug’ who’ll ‘wil’ n out’ if I’m disrespected.” Thomas gulped. “Y’all may not know this, but I want to play equestrian sports someday. Whatchu know about that, huh?” Thomas blinked. He didn’t know what equestrian sports was. Cuffy licked his lips, thinking. “My momma’s the candy lady on our street. She makes the candy for all the kids in the neighborhood and they all come ova to our house. I believe in no sex until marriage. I listen to the Goo Goo Dolls.”

“Man,” Cuffy turned his head and looked out into the field in front of them, “I wake up every day looking through my own eyes, just like anybody else.”

“- except gays,” Thomas shot.

“Jus’, I’m a real man,” Cuffy shrugged.

“And you got your a*s beat by another real man.”

Cuffy nodded. “You right, you right. Sorry.”

Thomas scoffed. “I think it’s so stupid that you people can’t see that we’re both victims of the same thing.”

Cuffy sighed. “Ain’t like we can do anything about it now.”

He began to step forward, paused, laughed bitterly and continued. He extended his hand to Thomas.

“I’m sorry, man,” he began to sob.

Thomas began to shed bitter tears himself and angrily grabbed Cuffy’s hand and clutched it tight.

“I forgive you, d****t,” he forced through gritted teeth. It wasn’t genuine, but it would have to do.

Hand in hand, they stepped off of the front porch and disappeared to a place where they would never have to face anyone’s else prejudices ever again, except for each others’.

© 2014 Fetish Ewing


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

349 Views
1 Review
Added on August 8, 2014
Last Updated on August 8, 2014
Tags: Gay, Thug, Cabin, Equestrian, Fight, Prejudice

Author

Fetish Ewing
Fetish Ewing

Savannah, GA



About
Hi, Please, check out my work. I'm an extreme extrovert, but I also value my "me" time. I'm the kind of person you don't need to feel bad for if you see me shopping or going to the theater by mysel.. more..

Writing
Friends Friends

A Story by Fetish Ewing


Prelude Prelude

A Chapter by Fetish Ewing


Settling In Settling In

A Chapter by Fetish Ewing