Life's cruel journey

Life's cruel journey

A Story by Lyndsay Gaynor

Life’s a journey. It isn’t always pleasant or fun, but it takes you places that you would never have even dreamt of going. It teaches you things in ways that often appear unfair. When you fall, you have no choice but to stand up, dust yourself off and keep going.

My journey started many years ago. My whole life up until the age of fourteen had been a battle. My mother was a single parent, trying to raise my brother and me on her own. I suppose she became tired of struggling, because two days after my fourteenth birthday my mother married. His name was Mike and he was a horrible man.

Every night, after drinking like a fish, he would beat my brother, who was only nine at the time, until his screams became unbearable. I would hear him crying until early hours of the morning. There was nothing I could do though, because after Mike was done with my brother, he would find me hiding in my room. He would force me down onto my bed and rape me, two or three times a night.

The pain tore through my entire body and my tears tasted like the alcohol that I smelt on his breath. Screaming never helped, nothing helped. After a while I became tired of the burning tears running down my face and the bruises he gave me when I tried to fight him off. I became silent and for three years I didn’t say a word or make a sound. I felt dead and the dead don’t speak.

One night Mike beat my brother too hard. His screaming stopped and his limp little body fell to the floor, covered in blood. I was watching from my room and for the first time in years my eyes filled with a fiery liquid. That was enough, I couldn’t take it anymore. Without making a sound I made my way to the front door. As soon as I got out the door I began to run until my legs crumbled beneath me.

I am now living in a shelter, far from where I once lived. I work as a waitress in a local diner which is slowly paying for my last few years of school. I’m not sure where my mother and Mike are, or whether they looked for me after I left, but I am sure of one thing: The life I had with them might not have been fair, but it taught me that I am worth more than trash and I am stronger than they think.

 

© 2008 Lyndsay Gaynor


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Seriously now, whats with all the death in your stories :) can't you write a happy something something?

Still well written though.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

117 Views
1 Review
Added on July 31, 2008

Author

Lyndsay Gaynor
Lyndsay Gaynor

South Africa



About
I'm a simple girl who grew up in a tiny town in the country. Next to writing, my interests include art, photography, programming, chemistry, psycology, reading and such. For someone that loves writing.. more..

Writing
Guilt Guilt

A Poem by Lyndsay Gaynor