Episode Ember: Chapter 1: Change

Episode Ember: Chapter 1: Change

A Chapter by Miles W.
"

Chapter 1 of Ember's adventures in a story years before the events of "Order" and "War".

"

The River of Time

Always Flowing

Always Moving

But Cast A Stone

And You Will Create

Ripples.

 

 

 

25 Years before the Fall of Aequo

The Orphanage

 

 

 

            Ember waved goodbye to Anima after the extended curfew finally came to an end and the sun began to set.  It was a fun night.  As Ember returned to her chambers, she saw the matron looking at her with a small smile.

            “What?” Ember asked not entirely sure how to read the situation.

            “You’ve got some good friends looking out for you” the Matron said with a coy smile.  Ember studied the matron’s face for a brief moment, but then mimicked her smile.

            “You knew Anima was using her Semblance, didn’t you?”

            “She’s done it so many times to me it almost feels like a routine at this point.  I can feel the idea being brought forward almost like one is dragging a couch along a rug.  But it wasn’t a bad idea.  I had thought about letting you kids have some more fun after dinner, she just helped expedite it.”

            “Thanks.  It was a really good day.”

            “Just make sure you look out for what you want as well Ember.”

            “Pardon?”

            “Anima cares about you a lot, but a lot of the activities you do are what she wants to do.”

            “I enjoy doing those things as well.”

            “I know, but don’t be afraid to be the one to come up with new ideas and suggestions.  And don’t be afraid to listen to others.  There’s a whole world out there kiddo.  Wouldn’t do you much good if you just listened to the same handful of people your entire life.”

            “I’ll keep that in mind.  Thank you” Ember smiled as she made her way to bed.  “But at the same time, I hope I never lose Anima.  Ever.”

 

 

 

10 Years Before the Fall of Aequo

The Directors Trailer

 

 

 

“Anima!” Ember yelled, struggling to fight back tears.  “What’s going on?!”  Anima didn’t pay any heed to her friend.  She just kept walking towards her trailer.  Ember ran over and grabbed Anima’s arm, stopping her from progressing.

“Let me go Ember” Anima said with a growl.
            “Why?  Why are you giving up?  Didn’t we promise?  Didn’t we say that we would do this together?”
            “Perhaps.  But we were just kids then.  Now we’re stuck in a rut.  We haven’t progressed at all during our performances, we’re still performing below the top seats in the band, and it’s the same thing over and over again.  I’m destined for greater things Ember.  And I’m going to go find them.”
            “You’re giving up just because you haven’t become the top performer yet?  We’re still learning Anima!  We…..”
            “It’s been over seven years Ember!  And we’ve barely progressed!  We should be the ones leading the performances, not these old farts!  We should be at the top!  Well you know what?  I’m done sitting around waiting for nothing to happen.  I’m going to take up my own destiny and forge my own path.”
            “So you’re giving up just because you aren’t the head honcho around here?  Anima, Vale wasn’t built in a day.  You need to be patient.  I mean, look at me!  I’m in the same boat as you but I’m still willing to keep learning. This is what we love doing!  And I’m not going to just give up because I’m not in the hall of fame after only a few years!”  Anima, as if she didn’t even pay any attention to what Ember said, turned and extended her hand.
            “Join me Ember.  I know somebody who could help us.  We could be a part of a greater purpose and become even greater than we could be if we stayed here.  We could change the world.”
            “But what about our promise?  What about our friendship?”
            “This can be the next level of our friendship if you just follow me.”  Ember looked at Anima’s hand, then back at her friend.  In that moment, she remember the matron’s words.  Her warning about Anima all those years ago.  Tears formed in her eyes as she looked and saw that Anima’s eyes were no longer the bright and energetic eyes she had known all her life, but rather cold and self-centered.  She turned away.
            “You just want the easy way out.  You just want to be at the top right away.  You’ve always been like this.  You’ve had parents who pampered you and people who always supported you.  Whenever you did something wrong and somebody tried to correct you, you lashed out.  And when you found out that it takes constant hard work to move forward in the world, you give up.  I hoped that this would be different.  I hoped our promise would be enough to keep you moving forward.  But it’s clear what your desires are.  If you want to give up and take the easy way out, fine.  I am going to continue working hard and chasing our…no.  My dream.  I will continue moving forward while you give up and stop.  Goodbye Anima.”  With that, Ember ran off, struggling to fight back tears.  She didn’t look back.  Not even once.  She kept running, out of the troupe’s camp, into the village square and down to the cliffside near the edge of the village where the mountains parted.  Since Aequo was in a valley, the two mountains created a path, and opened up to a sheer cliff face that overlooked the green land of the wilderness.  The cliff was wide enough that during certain times of the year, you could watch the sun rise and set from that exact location.  The sun was beginning to creep towards the glow of twilight, and Ember finally let it all out.  She collapsed onto her legs, and started crying.  It wasn’t a loud cry, very few people even noticed her there.  But to Ember, it felt as if she was losing everything, as her tears fell to the ground and dripped down the side of the cliff into the abyss.  Her friend was gone.  She didn’t know how to respond.  As she sat there, the sun continued to set.  The hustle and bustle of the town behind her continued to quiet down overtime.  Twilight gave way to darkness.  As the stars lit up the sky, Ember buried her head in her arms.  As she sat there, not sure what to do next, she felt a tap on her shoulder.  She looked up to see a young adult woman with blonde hair and a concerned look on her face.

“Are you doing all right?” the stranger asked.

“I will be” Ember said wiping her tears and standing up.  “I just had a bit of devastating news.”

“Sorry to hear that” the stranger said.  “Have you had something to eat today?”

“I’ll just stop by one of the late-night food carts in the square before heading back to my trailer.”

“I thought that uniform looked familiar.  Violet Troupe, right?”

“Percussionist, not a flashy acrobat.”

“Does that matter?  Here, come inside.  My husband just got back from a mission and our youngest two are ready to eat.”

“I don’t want to be a bother….”

“No bother.  Come on inside.”

 

 

 

Ember entered the modest house to the warm glow of the lights that illuminated the hallway into the kitchen.  Ember followed the stranger into the kitchen and saw a man with a beard carrying a baby in his right arm with another child no older than two years waddling right behind him.  As he set the baby down into a high chair the man then helped the toddler into another high chair and put plates of food before them.  The man then looked up and saw the two women standing there.

“Someone you know Traci?” the man asked looking towards Ember.

“No Matt, just somebody who looked like they could use a friend.”

“Well now we might have a few less leftovers in that case.  Who is this friend?”

“Oh, where are my manners?  I didn’t even ask your name.”

“My name is Ember” Ember said lowering her head and placing her hand on her chest in greeting.  “Thank you for having me.”

“Of course.  I’m Traci Grover, and this is my husband Matt.  And these are our children.  Nathan and Natalie.”

“Grover….I feel like I’ve heard that name somewhere before.”

“A positive place I hope.  Please, sit down.  Let me get you a plate and something to drink dear.”  Ember nodded and sat down at the table while Traci prepared an extra plate of food.  As they sat down and began to eat, Traci pointed her fork towards Ember and asked,

“So you’re in the Violet Troupe.  You said the percussion section, right?”

“Yes ma’am.  I’ve been doing this for seven years now.  Mostly as a second chair position, just doing what I can.”

“That’s a good attitude to have honestly.  So many people I’ve met as a Huntress myself just want the glory and honor right off the bat.  But they forget how important the smaller roles can be.”

“You really think so?”

“You know somebody who doesn’t think that way?”

“Actually….that’s kind of the reason why I was at the cliffside today.”

“Do you mind if I ask how it came to pass?”

“My childhood friend….we made a promise we would both become the best.  We would do everything we could to become the top performers of the Violet Troupe.  But she got impatient.  She quit just today.  And wanted me to follow her.”

“Did she say where she wanted you to follow her to?”

“No, but she talked about how she had this grand destiny, a purpose beyond my understanding or something along those lines.  She wanted me to join her, but I didn’t.”

“Why didn’t you?”

“Because it felt like cheating.  We both worked hard to get to the point where we are at now, but instead of continuing to push towards the summit, she ran off to find an easier path.  I love drumming.  And yes, it is frustrating that I haven’t reached top billing just yet, but I want to keep going.  I want to reach the top without giving up.  I’d be lying if I said no part of me wanted to leave with Anima today, but she’s changed.  I don’t work the way she does.  I don’t act the same way she does.  So, I’ll stay the course, no matter what.”  Traci chuckled a bit as she took another bite of her dinner.

“If more people were like you Ember,” Traci said with a smile, “I think the Grimm would need to find other creatures to feast on rather than humans.”

“Pleasant analogy…..”

“Sorry, it’s a normal conversation piece in my line of work.  But very few people are able to stave off negative emotions the way you do.  You’ve got backbone along with a good heart.  And you’ve got determination.  Great qualities to have in any profession.”

“Thanks.”

“Don’t mention it.  But in terms of your job, where do you go from here?”

“We’re about to go on tour again.  Hopefully it’ll be less painful this time.”

“Painful?”

“We usually get a few Grimm attacks during our tours.  Sometimes lose a few people along the way.  We hire as many Huntsmen as we can afford to protect us, but they can only do so much.”

“Have you tried training yourselves?”

“We don’t usually have the time given our busy rehearsal schedule between shows.”

“It can go a long way.  Trust me.  How soon do you depart?”

“We leave in a few days.”

“Come by my house here whenever you get the chance.  I’ll give you some pointers.  And even beyond that, you’ve got a unique opportunity compared to most people of Remnant.  You get to travel the world on the regular.  You can take time and learn from many other people during your travels.  You and your colleagues can really become a force to be reckoned with if you put your minds to it.”

“I’d appreciate that.  Thank you.”

 

 

 

And as promised, the next day Ember arrived to train with Traci and began to learn how to fight.  The two of them trained until it was time for Ember to leave with the troupe.  But she took Traci’s lessons to heart.  She continued to improve herself, she continued her training.  She learned many techniques while on the road.  And as time went on, not only did her skills on the battlefield improve, but her skills with her music as well.  Grimm attacks became more of an annoyance rather than a trial, and techniques once thought impossible became very possible for Ember to accomplish, leading to an achievement she felt immense pride for when she returned to Aequo for a show…….

 

 

 

7 Years Before the Fall of Aequo

The Town Square

 

 

 

Ember was the lead drummer for the set.  The boss wanted her to headline this new show given her recent promotion, and Ember did not let it go to waste.  She played with every fiber of her being, refusing to let the pressure of the moment get the better of her.  She didn’t even need to glance back at the trapeze artists to know her cues.  She had memorized every last motion that she needed to execute, and played like a woman possessed.  The music swelled, her energy spiked, and the grand finale went off without a hitch.  The crowd roared in cheers and excitement, as everyone took a big bow.  She had the biggest smile on her face, tears of joy running down her cheeks.

 

 

 

Ember was packing things up, when she saw Traci with Matt holding the young Natalie and an ever-growing Nathan running towards her with his arms open.  Nathan leapt up and gave Ember a big hug to which Ember happily returned.

“That was great Ember!” Nathan said with excitement.

“Thanks little guy!” Ember said as she put him back down.

“Do you think maybe you could teach me how to play?”

“He won’t stop talking about it” Traci said with a chuckle.  “He’d love to learn.”

“I’d be honored to teach him” Ember said with a smile.  “Once I get back from this most recent trip, I’d be more than happy to teach him how to play.”

“Actually, I was hoping to talk to you about that trip” Traci said, her tone becoming more serious.  “Matt, would you mind taking the kids back home?  I won’t be long.”  Matt nodded his head and took Nathan and Natalie back to their house.  Ember looked at Traci, not sure how to respond to the situation.

“What’s going on?”

“Something is happening in Vacuo.  There have been reports of a cult that send people out into the Forbidden North as sacrifices for something and they never return.  A group of Huntsmen went after them to try and figure out what was going on but they never returned as well.  I’ve been tasked to meet with some colleagues of mine to investigate.”

“And what does that have to do with me?”

“My boss has taken an interest in your skills, and would be interested to see how well you could perform in this field of work.”

“Your boss?”

“I’m sure you’ve heard of Professor Ozpin, haven’t you?”



© 2023 Miles W.


Author's Note

Miles W.
Please read/review/enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

39 Views
Added on December 31, 2022
Last Updated on July 10, 2023
Tags: Adventure, Action, Anime, Fan Fiction, RWBY, Anthology

RWBY: Anthology of Seasons: First Steps


Author

Miles W.
Miles W.

Columbus, OH



About
I am a recent graduate with a degree in Film Production. My dream is to become a film director, creating my own stories. I love writing stories and fan fiction. Please check it out, share and revie.. more..

Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by Miles W.