Fishermen

Fishermen

A Story by Mister T.
"

"A short story, not based on real fish."

"

The lead of my fishing rod slightly dangled back and forth in the dark, cold water, hopelessly looking for fish. My hands strongly clasped around the black handle. My hands hurt when I tried to move them. My eyes were staring at a great nothing, looking for movement in the water. But no fish were coming. Not the fish I was looking for.

 

I had been waiting for hours, if not days, if not weeks, if not forever. To no avail. My only catch consisted of a few pikes and some seaweed. I even managed to catch a battered pair of boots, which seemed to have been property of some pirate. Sometimes I just wondered why I was still trying so hard. Why was I still trying so hard?

 

“Yes! I got one!” I heard Henry screaming in happiness. In the corner of my eye I saw a yellow-coloured fish at the end of his lead, viciously sputtering. But this fish wasn’t just viciously sputtering, not because it wanted to escape. It actually looked pleased with his new owner. As if it liked him.

 

My eyes abruptly averted themselves from Henry as I noticed some kind of movement at the end of the lead. Filled with hope, I stared at the water, waiting for something to happen. Another shock. My heart released a shot of adrenaline, my body was ready for action. The pain in my hands returned as soon as I clasped my hands even stronger around the handle, but I ignored the pain. This was the moment.

 

I lifted my rod, but as soon as I lifted it out of the water the hopefulness disappeared. Another pike. My heart was (figuratively) in my boots. I returned to the sitting position I had got used to already, after hours, if not days, if not weeks, if not forever. I stared at the still water.

 

“Don’t be sad, you’ll get one next time,” I heard Henry saying. I didn’t respond. I felt his eyes looking for my face, but I didn’t look back.

 

“Don't wait for the fish. Let the fish wait for you.” My sadness suddenly disappeared. I loosened my stranglehold on the handle. I looked at the water. The clear blue water peacefully moved along with the current, not knowing where it was going. It didn’t have to know where it was going. Ultimately, it would end up in an enormous, majestic ocean. It just went wherever the rest was going.

 

“Let’s go home, Nick.” That was the last thing Henry said to me before standing up and walking off. I followed his footsteps, a few metres behind him, without knowing where I was going. A sound made me glance over my shoulder: the water was moving, as if it had come back to life.  

© 2016 Mister T.


Author's Note

Mister T.
Something I read inspired me to write this piece. Hopefully you enjoy it.
All thoughts are welcome. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Thought provoking. Sometimes you have to make the fish come towards you, rather then waiting to catch it with eager eyes and a hopeful mind. A very interesting message you tried to portray here about life, by using the example of fish. Humans strive for so much, run behind so many things in order to achieve them, that he forgets that sometimes you just have to sit down and think for a while rather then following the rat race. Sometimes things work out a bit differently. Even if you work your a*s of, in the end you only get what you deserve. That's the law of nature. But people, never content, continue to run the rat race and in turn wait for the fish that never arrives.
Just my thoughts. ;)

A beautiful story. Thanks for sharing this mate.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mister T.

8 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words, Blackheart, I really appreciate it :)
I share your thoughts on.. read more
Blackheart

8 Years Ago

Indeed, my friend. And you're very welcome. :)



Reviews

wow ... an inspiring piece of work my friend !!!
i like it a lot

Posted 7 Years Ago


All I could think while reading this was the saying "There's plenty of fish in the sea!" As if catching fish (or people, or anything) is so easy. I always sucked at fishing too, so I feel the frustration. Metaphorically, I can also relate. It's frustrating when other people seem happy and are getting what they want while you sit alone and unable to obtain your desires. Nice story.

Posted 7 Years Ago


I enjoyed the metaphor. The end really speaks to a rebelliousness or individualism in a very subtle way, which is not common. Often writers are very in your face with this type of message. I, too, loved the repetition.

Posted 8 Years Ago


I had been waiting for hours, if not days, if not weeks, if not forever. I love that you repeat this line it is my favorite and captures the feeling of fishing well especially to those who have fished in inactive or slower waters. and I love how you paint this beautiful picture! I love it!!! This is wonderful! I have been inspired by yours and Solar's work to open and close my work with fishermen having a conversation. I think it would be beautiful! Thank you for that, also, i will send you a read request for it, it is an interesting story Solar has written here. And your story reminded me of it! Thanks for the read request, this was wonderful!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mister T.

8 Years Ago

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Zyle, and it's great to have inspired you! :)
Zyle Christian William Cook

8 Years Ago

YEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!
Oh wow...the ending just blew me away...I could relate to it in every way,,,its deep and inspiring... you portrayed your message with so much elegance...I enjoyed reading it... great story

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mister T.

8 Years Ago

Thank you, Mary, for these kind words :)
Mary Helda

8 Years Ago

you are welcome my friend
I liked your story. It's a pretty mature conclusion, especially when I consider that you're relatively young, that we sometimes simply have to wait and don't have to push it. Guess I still haven't learned that; me being almost thirty now. But I try. But not too hard :). Back to your story: It is well-written and I especially liked that repetition of "after hours, if not days, if not weeks, if not forever."

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mister T.

8 Years Ago

Thank you, Bobby, for your kind words :)
Maturity comes in many different forms. What I mean .. read more
Very well written! I like your message. Sometimes you need to go get what you want but other times, just as in fishing, you just need to sit back and be patient and let things come to you. We tend to try too hard in certain situations and when we do, we get frustrated and upset. Things are going to happen the way they are supposed to. We just need to allow it.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mister T.

8 Years Ago

Indeed, I go along with you there. Just going with the flow, as the water goes where the current goe.. read more
I'm with Blackheart on this. To me you've taken the fishing episode to serve as an analogy or allegory or whatever for lessons in life and sometimes striving too hard. It reads very well, so well done indeed.

Just one observation - I have the impression of two teenagers, though you never say so. And in my head, reading it cold, I didn't see or hear the life message coming from Henry - to me, Henry was a better angler, but was still a callow teenager; the life message seemed to come from thin air like some ancient far eastern mystic. I couldn't imagine Henry saying 'Do not' - I had him as more a 'Don't' kinda guy, whereas the mystic might well say 'Do not'. Reading it second time, however, I paused at the part about the yellow fish seeming to like Henry, and realised the life message was from him. Could be about love, career, lots of things that a peer of your age may have a few tips about. It looks as though Nick feels some admiration / envy for Henry, and again I picked that sense up more second time through.

Once again, nice job!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Mister T.

8 Years Ago

First of all, thank you for your feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)
Now that you mention it.. read more
Thought provoking. Sometimes you have to make the fish come towards you, rather then waiting to catch it with eager eyes and a hopeful mind. A very interesting message you tried to portray here about life, by using the example of fish. Humans strive for so much, run behind so many things in order to achieve them, that he forgets that sometimes you just have to sit down and think for a while rather then following the rat race. Sometimes things work out a bit differently. Even if you work your a*s of, in the end you only get what you deserve. That's the law of nature. But people, never content, continue to run the rat race and in turn wait for the fish that never arrives.
Just my thoughts. ;)

A beautiful story. Thanks for sharing this mate.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mister T.

8 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words, Blackheart, I really appreciate it :)
I share your thoughts on.. read more
Blackheart

8 Years Ago

Indeed, my friend. And you're very welcome. :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

357 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 26, 2016
Last Updated on February 27, 2016

Author

Mister T.
Mister T.

Netherlands



About
My name is T, I'm 17 years old and I live in the Netherlands, and I want to share my stories with others. I'm in no way a professional writer, I just write what feels good. I'd like feedback from othe.. more..

Writing
Home Home

A Poem by Mister T.


Stuck Stuck

A Poem by Mister T.


The Liar The Liar

A Story by Mister T.