1899

1899

A Story by Mackenzie K.

Victoria Whittier knew her sister was their mother's favourite. Rose was classy, proper, and beautiful...everything one would want in the daughter of a successful, high-society, very rich banker. Victoria was not. This had never bothered her. But now, watching her mother fawn over her eldest daughter, the one who never let her down, Victoria could not help feel a pang of envy.

          "Oh, Rose," her mother breathed, "that yellow dress is just perfect! You simply must wear it to the dinner tomorrow night. You know, Thomas Griffin is going to be there. I wonder if he'd be suitable for you to marry someday. You must have standards, Rose, dear. I think Thomas Griffin would meet those standards quite nicely."

          Victoria couldn't help but shudder. In her opinion, Thomas Griffin, son of real-estate tycoon George Griffin, was one of those men with a respectable name, handsome face, and empty head. She couldn't imagine living out her life as the wife of a man like him. Rose, on the other hand, seemed to have no problem with it.

          "Thomas Griffin! Why, he would be an eligible match. Oh, but Clara O'Reilly has her eyes on him."

          "Clara O'Reilly isn't near as beautiful as you. I'll invite the Griffins over for tea...even that hellion of a brother, William. That boy is never going to amount to anything, do you hear me? But I suppose I'll have to invite him, too. What kind of impression would we make if we invited the whole family but William? That wouldn't do."

          Victoria smiled to herself at the mention of William Griffin. There was a boy who had brains. He's been her best friend as a child until they'd realized that boys and girls were meant to be more than just best friends, and they'd grown apart. Her mother had disapproved of William nearly since birth, calling him a devil of a toddler, a rascal of a boy, and a rogue of a young man. Thomas, on the other hand, was handsome, charming, and suitable.

          Victoria would easily have chosen rogue over suitable gentleman. This was one of many reasons she and her mother rarely saw eye to eye. Another reason was her adventurous nature, which was seen as disruptive in her quiet, respectable, high-society family. Her every move was scrutinized. At the age of fifteen, Victoria was seriously considering running away. It wouldn't be hard. In the summer, she'd often shimmy down the ivy that covered the house and sit in the courtyard to watch the stars cross the sky. All she's have to do was pack a bag and leave. It would certainly be more interesting than a life of endless balls, dinner parties, and afternoon teas, where, through all that suitable behaviour, everyone hid secrets. Lost in her thoughts, she ignored the idle chatter of her mother and sister until she heard her name.

          "Victoria? Victoria, dear, come try on this darling dress. This pink would look absolutely lovely on you." Her mother held up a pink lace dress, all ruffles and ribbons. It was the sort of dress that one couldn't possibly breathe in, let alone shimmy down ivy. Victoria shook her head.

          "No, not that one, mother. I was thinking perhaps something in green...like this one." She held up a simple emerald dress. It had a low neckline and a relatively slim skirt that wouldn't get in the way of movement.

          "Now, darling, we've talked about this. You know this is a formal event. This is a charity ball, for heaven's sake. You need to dress appropriately, none of your scooping necklines or slender skirts. You need something like this." She thrust the pink dress into Victoria's arms. "Now go. Try it on. I'm sure it will look beautiful on you."

          Inside the changeroom, Victoria's mother helped do up the dress. "I need you to behave at this ball, Victoria. Use your manners, and when a gentleman asks you to dance, please either accept graciously or refuse politely. There will be no pretending to be ill to get out of going. Unless you are on your deathbed, you will come to this ball dressed and acting like a young lady. Perhaps Rose can give you some hints, dear. There now," she stood back, having finished lacing the corset and the dress, "that looks marvelous on you. Take a look."

          Victoria glanced in the mirror and nearly fainted from a combination of lack of oxygen (the dress was cutting off her circulation) and shock. She looked like a pink fairy cake. The skirt puffed out in all directions, while the bodice was nearly skintight. She wouldn't be expected to wear it to a society event, would she?

          "Yes, I think that will be quite suitable. Perfect for tomorrow night." Her mother said decidedly.

          "Er, yes, it has a certain...charm," Victoria managed. "But...do you mind if I look around a little more?"

          "Nonsense. Why would you do that? This dress," she motioned to the pink monstrosity Victoria was wearing, "is exactly what we're looking for. Come, let's show your sister." She threw open the curtain of the dressing room. Rose took one look and let out an awkward cough that sounded a lot like a giggle.

          "Mother, it is...darling. But why don't we have her try this one?" Rose held up another dress. It was a pale green with a long, gauzy skirt that flowed gently to the floor. The bodice looked tight, but manageable. Victoria wouldn't have chosen it for herself, but after it was on and fastened, it was perfect. The green flattered her eyes, which were roughly the colour of sea glass. When her mother was feeling generous, she said they were like precious emeralds, but usually she described them as having a mischievious spark that was not at all suitable for a young woman of such fine social standing. Rose's eyes were clear, light blue, and her mother always described them as beautiful gems. Her mother's favourite hobbies seemed to be hosting teas, helping organize charity balls, and praising Rose, not necessarily in that order.

© 2010 Mackenzie K.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I enjoyed this. I can definitely identify with Victoria lol. I hope you continue with this story.


Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 25, 2010
Last Updated on August 25, 2010

Author

Mackenzie K.
Mackenzie K.

Canada



About
mackenzie. sixteen. kind of angsty, kind of hopeless, kind of confused, but mostly happy. i like writing and i don't know if i'm good at it but we'll see, i guess. more..

Writing