Wishes.

Wishes.

A Poem by maddy trudel

The first wish I ever remember making was when I was 9 years old,
I covered my dog Lucky's ears, and cried, whispering "I wish mommy and daddy would stop fighting. I wish they'd get a divorce."
When I was 11 and my cousin "became a woman" I wished to get my period too.
At 13, I wished that the boy I liked would kiss me - then I wished that he'd stop; but he never wanted to.
I wished I was thinner, and prettier, like all of the other girls.
14 years old, and all I wished for was for my dad to come back, for him to want us again, for him to love me and my brothers, and want to be a part of our lives like he was for the past 13 years.
15 was when I cried and wished for my grandmother to still be alive. I wished myself dead countless times that year.
16 years old is when I swallowed 19 pills, wishing I wouldn't wake.
When I did, I wished I had never done that.
I cried for a month in the hospital bed, wishing they'd stop making me eat so much. I wished my mom would stop crying, and that I would be discharged.
I wished a lot that year, 
like when I wished for him and I to fall in love.
17, hopelessly in love, but terrible unhappy, I wished for him and I to be okay, for all of our problems to go away.
On my 18th birthday, as he sat across from me, I blew out my candles and wished that he and I could start over again, to fall back in love, the way we once were. To have our happily ever after.
At night, I held on to my tear-stained pillow, crying, begging for the pain to end. Wishing that I wouldn't feel anything anymore. I wished to be happy, to be stronger, to be everything I was not.
Almost 19 years old, and realizing wishes do not come true - you have to work for everything you want.
5 years of struggling, holding on to nothing but the wishes I've made over the years, they're the only thing that has kept me going. 
Although, now, I know that I am strong, I am everything I ever wanted to be - happy. - so I suppose that some wishes do come true, if you want things bad enough.

© 2015 maddy trudel


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
Added on July 17, 2015
Last Updated on July 17, 2015

Author

maddy trudel
maddy trudel

montreal, Canada



About
I'm a young adult attempting to share my thoughts using short stories, novels and poems. more..

Writing