Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by MadiLeigh

   It was a Saturday, definately not her favorite day. Most teenagers look forward to Saturday. Julia Ross, however, does not. What was there to look forward to anyways? She had to spend every single day in this prison. The hospital was not one of her favorite places, but what choice did she have? None. None at all. She would be here until they found her a bone marrow match, witch so far has had no luck.

 

   She was not happy. She was tired witch automatically made her cranky. Her nurses all wonder why she is always tired when the answer is clear. How can anyone sleep with all the beeping, lights, and the nurses who don't even care to be quiet while she's trying to sleep. She made Oscar the Grouch look like Elmo when she was cranky. It wasn't a good day.

 

   It was a bad day because the cafeteria food was especially disguisting. It was a terrible day because her parents were not getting along as well as she would like. It was an absolutely horrible day because this was the last day to sign up for Camp Raine. Camp Raine was named after its founder who had fought and won the battle against Leukemia. It was a special camp for kids and teens just like her. The problem is, her mom won't let her go. She had turned down Julia twice already. Even Dr. Wright, who had been her doctor since she was first diagnosed in the sixth grade, had failed in trying to convince her mom. Julia didn't understand why she couldn't go. It was only for a weekend.

 

   It wasn't fair, she thought. It has been all she could talk about for the past several months. Her mom knew how much it meant to her to be able to have fun and do things that normal kids get to do. Didn't her mom understand what its like to be excluded from everything?

 

   She had been a figure skater for four whole years, it had been her favorite thing in the world. Now that was gone forever, never again would she step on the ice. It didn't even matter if she was in remission, her mom wouldn't let her. She loved her mom, of coarse, but she wished she could have a little freedom and fun. Just once, she would like to feel like a normal kid again.

 

   Her nurse, Sheryl, came in to see her. Sheryl had always been her favorite nurse."How are you doing today, Jewel?"

 

   Only Sheryl still used her old nickname. It made Julia smile, witch is a rare thing now. It was nice to hear. It was a nice name, much more exciting than plain Julia.

 

   "The usual. Disguisting cafeteria food, nothing on TV, and sleep deprivation are never a good combo."

 

   "Things will get better honey," she soothed in her soft voice.

 

   "Not very likely. Theres nothing to do here. I just want to get out of here and never ever come back."

 

   "Someones not in a very good mood."

 

   "Really now," Julia said in her sarcastic tone. She regretted it immediately when she realized how hurtful her words were. Sheryl didn't deserve that. "I'm sorry."

 

   "No, its okay, really," she assured her, "I have to go check on my other patients but I'll be back later. Your parents are down the hall in the conference room talking to Dr. Wright. They'll be done in about ten minutes so you won't be alone for long."

 

   "Kay."

 

   The moment Sheryl was in the elevator, Julia bolted out of the room for the conference room. She stood with her ear pressed against the door, trying to listen to the conversation taking place behind the walls.

 

   "You know I love my daughter and I want her to be happy, I just don't know if this is a good idea."

 

   "Mrs. Ross, I'm going to be completely honest with you. Julia's condition is bad, but it won't get any worse yet, I promise you. This is the worst we'll see for the next few months, I am certain. If anything at all happens, there is a complete oncology team there that are prepared for everything."

 

   "I just dont know. Jerry what do you think?" She asked, looking at her husband.

 

   "Kristen, I think we should let her go. Have you even seen your daughter lately? She needs some fun in her life. It would be good for her. Shes almost seventeen and she has missed out on so much already."

 

   "Jerry, I just don't she I could handle it. "

 

   "She cant? Or you cant?"

 

   "I don't know what you're saying. I need to talk to Julia," Kristen said, getting up.

 

   At the sound of her name, Julia ran back into her room as fast as she could manage, witch exhausted her. She managed to get herself wedged inbetween the sheets and the blanket before her mom came in.

  

   "Julia?"

 

   "Yes mom?"

  

   "I'd like to talk to you...about camp," she said, sighing, "I know how much you want to go, and I have been thinking about it. It isn't an easy decision to make sweetie. Id like to let you go, I realy do, but I'm just concerned about your health, thats all."

 

   Of coarse it was about her health. It was always about her health. Julia hated it. It wasn't fair. She already knew how this conversation was going to go, and she didn't like the outcome.

 

   "I know."

 

   "Dr. Wright and your father both think this would be good for you," she hesitated, "so it would be foolish of me not to let you go." She watched as life lit across her daughters face.

 

   "You mean it? I can go?"

   "Only if you're condition doesn't get any worse."

 

   Julia threw her arms over her mother's neck. "Thank you a million times."

 

   "I know."

 

   This day, this bad, terrible, absolutely horrible day, was one of the best days of her life.



© 2010 MadiLeigh


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You have a few spelling mistakes. 'course' not coarse and 'which' not witch. That's okay though. The plot line is very good so far and I'm wondering where you'll take this.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

183 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 28, 2010
Last Updated on May 3, 2010


Author

MadiLeigh
MadiLeigh

Glendale, AZ



About
My name is Madi and I am a teen beginner author. I'm not the best at putting my thoughts into words but I'm working on it. I have a lot of great ideas for stories, if only I could find a way to actual.. more..

Writing