Memoir of Aramco Days

Memoir of Aramco Days

A Story by Maha Karadsheh
"

Story of my life

"

I sat down with myself thinking what to write.  The words start running to my pen.  I missed writing in English as if I missed a close friend.  I will introduce myself.  My name is Maha Karadsheh.  I am from Ammn, Jordan.  I studied in the Rosary College in high school then went to the BUC University in Lebanon for 3 years.  Immediately after I got married, we moved to Saudi Arabia.  My husband worked with Aramco Hospital as a General Practitioner.  I devoted my time raising four children - two girls, two boys.  People in Aramco used to call the place mini-America.  A very quiet place with 4,000 families including 30 different nationalities, a melting pot of cultures, a world within itself.  Till now, we cherish our time there as the best period of our lives.  My children went to Aramco schools that had well-equipped classes and excellent teachers.  It was a beautiful school that offered education until the 9th grade.  After graduation, students attended high school in Bahrain, Europe or the States.  There were also a lot of stimulating activities, physical and intellectual, like Adult Education that varies from Toastmasters, cooking lessons, chess classes, bridge and many others.  In the compound, there were three big pools, two gyms, and two large dining halls that offered delicious food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There were also few coffee shops for people to mingle with each other, as well as numerous competitive sports, like swimming, baseball and soccer.  It was an ideal place for children and parents.  I always remember our trips to the beach with other friends.  People used to barbeque there and enjoy the day at the beach.  Drinking tea, watching the sunset, while the cool breeze touched their tanned faces.  Then later at night, we return home in a positive mood and a refreshing outlook on life and people.  After five years of living there, I joined the Toastmasters for 10 years, where I used to write and give speeches.  I greatly benefited from this close-knit intellectual community by listening to others and their speeches.  It was a rich period that filled me with enthusiasm and courage. 


After my husband retired, we came back to Jordan.  At that time, our children had finished their education and started working.  My husband joined the Golf club in Jordan to continue the hobby he started while in Aramco.  He was dedicated to this sport, joining competitions, conducting meetings, organizing tournaments, and participating in weekly parties they made to distribute trophies among the winners.  I enjoyed the social atmosphere and the anxious happy spirits that highlighted my days. 


On August 17, 2009, my husband passed away suddenly due to an unexpected bronchial spasm, while he was relaxing in the sauna.  Not believing what happened, I tried to gather my strength and celebrate his life the way he likes it to be, believing he is in a better place with our Lord.  This faith comforted us, and we prayed for his spirit to rest in peace.  After this tremendous loss, I tried to regain strength by writing and sending my poems to be published in local newspapers. I also learned how to use the Internet to read about many topics.  I happily found your group online and decided to join your club.  I am excited to be here with the writing group.  I will share poems and articles with you in the future. 


This was an introduction.  Thank you and God bless.

© 2014 Maha Karadsheh


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
Added on January 14, 2014
Last Updated on January 14, 2014
Tags: Aramco, Saudi Arabia, Lebanon

Author

Maha Karadsheh
Maha Karadsheh

Amman, Jordan