JACKIE AND MARILYN: A CONVERSATION

JACKIE AND MARILYN: A CONVERSATION

A Story by manchilld99
"

oh, the things that are left to be resolved in heaven ...

"

 

“Aw,  Miss Monroe, you know … it could have been worse …” Jackie smiled, and then winked, “You could have been me.”

 

“At least they called you by your name,” Marilyn retorted petulantly.

 

Well, sometimes ... most times a lot of other things ...

 

Not to be outdone, Jackie said evenly, “At least you were considered better for being different,” and then, betraying a hint of a still-festering anger, “You know, I had to be better, and then, even better … and after all that … all that still mattered was that I was … different.”

 

“But Jackie, look at all the good you did," Marilyn gushed, admiringly, almost child-like in not really comprehending. 

 

"If not for you … no Willie, no Hank … you know," she said earnestly, and then,

 

"At least  … you finally got vindication.  Most people wouldn’t even know I knew that word.  Most still don’t know the difference between me and Jane,”  the starlet offered disconsolately.

 

Poor  girl.  She just doesn’t get it, maybe doesn’t want to.

 

Jackie made another attempt at an explanation, stating, ”Yeah, but it was the fifties.  You know … You and I couldn’t even have danced together.  We weren’t that big.  In fact, we were really kind of small … just there at the right time."

 

Gee, he doesn't really see ...  If only he understood...

 

 “But Jackie, we were -- are -- icons”

 

“Yeah, kid, icons … like those little figurines on a doily.  They moved us at will.  But you know what?  At least we were there.  And because we were there, some things will never be the same.”

 

Marilyn sat there with her lips slightly parted, staring dreamily into faraway space, and musing upon the Negro’s words.  Jackie scratched at his short-cropped gray hair and pressed his right index finger hard across his pursed, scowling lips. 

 

He wasn’t done thinking about this.

 

Neither was she.

© 2010 manchilld99


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like this. Great writing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


interesting conversation - great write!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Sometimes imagined conversations contain the most truth ... you do a great job here of showing the different ways in which these incredible icons were marginalized during such a restrictive social era, while simultaneously being idolized. Most people don't even know I knew that word. How true ... an interesting meditation on the position of star and starlet in the firmament of history.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

451 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 19, 2010
Last Updated on June 22, 2010
Tags: racism, sexism, objectification, Jackie Robinson, Marilyn Monroe, integration, stardom

Author

manchilld99
manchilld99

rochester, NY



About
I write poems and stories, and have broadcast a blues show on the radio since 1982. I am from Harlem, currently live in Rochester, NY, but have been around. more..

Writing
o' death o' death

A Poem by manchilld99