Promise for Cake

Promise for Cake

A Story by Manda
"

I frequently have dreams of my deceased grandfather, a man that I still treasure even though he is gone, and this dream where he visited me needed recording....

"
     The pit of my stomach aches at the sight, one I am not expecting. Tangible, real, warm, and bright, my thoughts are a whirlwind of chaotic questions that I already have answers to. You are here with me, as I remember. My heart starts to pound as I formulate the first thing to say to you after all these years, almost ten as a matter of fact. 
    Surreal surroundings make it seems so impossible, so unimaginable but there you are, putting a spice cake mix into the cart, shopping with me as if you never left. I want to scream and cry out loud "Why are we making cake?" But i know the answer, and I laugh nervously. You love cake.
     I want to enjoy the time we have because I don't know how long it will actually last. I want to ask my questions, to tell you everything that I've been through for the last decade: prom, graduation, mom & dad's divorce, my attacks, grammy hitting the lottery, my new husband. You, this phantom being, are blocking my tongue. I cannot speak, not even sure if I want to anymore. No. I want to hear about you. How are you feeling? Do you hurt? Where did you go? 
     The impatience ebbs away and I begin to understand what I need. I need to smell you again, so recognize the tobacco, the cologne, the sweat, the bacon, and the shaving cream. The pungency of your aroma is what has carried me through the nightmares over the years. I could smell you when you were near, when I needed you and you would put your arm around me.
    Flashes of red and blue creep into my vision when you smile. The lump in my throat grows larger and harder as I whisper "I've missed you." You smile, tears in your eyes, and say "I know."
    Time for you to go again, making this time our most memorable. I want to cry so hard, sob into your arms and beg you not to leave me. But I know I will see you again...and next time, we will make that cake. 

© 2012 Manda


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ohhhh, I really enjoyed this. The last line was just perfect, perfect. I love how the emotions just brought it all together.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

201 Views
1 Review
Added on February 22, 2012
Last Updated on February 22, 2012
Tags: jim, dream, papa, cake

Author

Manda
Manda

Albuquerque , NM



About
I'm terrible at these "about me" things. Well, I'm a worker at a daycare on her way onto becoming a teacher and writer. My quirky sense of humor,love for morbid and disturbing horror, and familiarity .. more..

Writing
Dray Dray

A Story by Manda