**Death By Scrabble**--Wife's perspective.

**Death By Scrabble**--Wife's perspective.

A Story by Patrick B
"

Based on the story, this is my version in the wife's perspective. Because it's in the wife's perspective, it still uses the dialogue.

"
I know what my husband thinks of me. That I'm a witch, like a big wart on his entire life. Oh well, because I don't like him just as much. Sure, a quick and easy divorce would be the easiest thing, but it would save a lot of problems that would come soon after. However, I love Scrabble, and what mistakes it even better is that during the time we play, we don't talk. I always win, and get him furious at the same time, which is a bonus. Even if it's over 98 degrees outside, just the bragging rights are what I cherish the most. But this time, I'm playing for keeps. For all the prizes, making victory even more sweet. I start out with SEDCJIN, and spell JINXED, keeping the S for a later time. I was already winning, with the J on the double-letter score, bringing my total to 30 points.
He starts to chew on his U, the most disgusting habit I have ever had to witness in the time of this marriage. He makes me sick. He spells WARMER, bringing his score to 22 points. Still ahead, I think to myself.
Keeping my own desires secret, I can see the rage already starting to spread like wild fire in his eyes. I crack a silly grin. This is why I love the game. Just for there mere joy of seeing him think that he could ever beat me at my own game. Not a chance in this lifetime. Pulling new letters out of the bag, I get the letters TREAWIER, including the S that I saved. I decided to spell SWEATER, cleaning my rack. That will show him, I thought, Karma sure can suck when you're on it's bad side. I am far ahead, this is too easy. My husband begins to have the beads of sweat roll from his face. He spells HUMID, using the D, another 22 points for him.
I gather more letters, having NFADYAR. I spell FAN, not the most valuable word choice Suddenly, the heat soon gets to me too. I am normally not this hot, but I still begin to sweat. I get up from were I was sitting to turn on the air conditioning and fill the kettle. So what if he complains, I don't care. It won't matter for long. As I just brush the air conditioner with my fingertips I am shocked with static electricity. I jump back in slight pain. Stupid Scrabble board! I have been betrayed by an inanimate object. I return to my original spot, sighing as I try to decide my next move. DYAREIG are not very promising letters to me.
But it will have to do.
I can sense the very anger and hate build in my opponent. He can get angry all he wants, but it shall be me that will have the last laugh. The kettle whistles as I spell READY. I go over to the kettle, relaxing my working nerves that peck at my sides. I hear the slightest sound of wood pieces. Of course.
He's cheating.
I will still win anyways.
He spells CHEATING, his score is higher than mine. I have to remind myself that I am not just playing for points. This is my board, and I refuse to be beaten at my own game. I ask him if he cheated, trying to prove my observations.
I spell IGNORE, totaling my score to 153, still lower than his score of 155. He spells SLEEP, probably thinking of what I do during the most of my time. Honestly, sleep is one of the most useful things in my years of marriage. IT was an escape, being able to create my own world in a dream, specifically without him.
The game is going to end shortly. I can feel it in my bones.
He spells EXPLODES, using all of the letters on his rack. Just then the air conditioning fails with a loud bang.
I see the realization in his eyes, as he stare in disbelief at the game board. The secret is out, but some secrets are meant to be. I play SIGN for 10 points. My husband starts to chew the letter B, and spells FLY. He reclines in his chair, as if waiting. A fly starts to buzz over my tea. I hate flies, almost as much as I hate him. I decide to try to finish the game, spelling CAUTION. My husband must have had the same idea, spelling QUAKE. Playing the last of the letters in my rack, I spell DEATH. Just then, the ground begins with a tremor, and then builds into violent shakes, sending glass and other objects across the floor. As I watch with a big smile, he chokes on the letter B. He falls to the floor and I say, "As I said Hun, I always win." Finishing the game with a score of 215.

© 2012 Patrick B


Author's Note

Patrick B
The story "Death By Scrabble" is originally written by Charlie Fish in the husband's perspective. The accreditation of the published story goes to him and his publishers.
It truly is a wonderful story, this is just my immature change of perspective. When you get the chance, read it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

this was a very suspenseful story. the game of scrabble here is used like a chessboard and becomes a game of war. this story reminds me of poe's style and unexpected ending. excellent story.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is so cool! I haven't read the original story, but I enjoyed the switch to the wife's perspective! Very creative. I can visualize the whole thing with a sort of sick humor.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

OH my goodness, i found this cute really.
Love the imagery and detail. Awesome write.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

8443 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 4, 2012
Last Updated on April 8, 2012

Author

Patrick B
Patrick B

CT



About
So I gave in and put my full name there. Stalkers, feel free to take notes. In a brief summary, I write mostly quotes and poems, but hopefully something greater will come out of it all. Not much as.. more..

Writing
The Storm. The Storm.

A Story by Patrick B



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..