SURPRISE

SURPRISE

A Story by Margie F
"

Depression is difficult to identify. Because the depressed tend to hide, making it difficult to see that they need help. Stay in contact with those you love. They may need a surprise from you.

"

Flowers arrived for me out of the blue today. Who in the world would be sending me flowers? I looked all over the bouquet, and there isn't a card. It's not my birthday. I can't think of anything good that I've done to warrant them. Maybe they were sent to me by mistake. This will drive me crazy if I don't find out who sent them. I'll just call the florist. Oh, but there isn't a card, so I don't know who the florist is. The driver is still in the driveway, preparing for his next stop. I didn't take time to put on shoes. Barefoot, I ran out into the driveway shouting, "Excuse me, sir?"

"Yes ma'am?"

"There isn't a card on the bouquet."

"No ma'am. I asked about that before I loaded them up. They said the caller didn't want to leave a card. You may be able to call and ask the order clerk if she got the name off of the credit card."

"Ah, great idea!" I got the number off of the van and ran back in to kill my curiosity.

"Thank you for calling Black-eye Suzies. Who are we going to surprise today?"

"Uh, actually, I am someone who got surprised, and I'd like to know the identity of the person who sent this beautiful surprise. There wasn't a card."

"Ok. Ma'am, what is your name and address?"

"My name is Mae, but people call me Margaret."

"Is Mae short for Margaret?"

"No. I guess people think it is, or think I look like a Margaret. My address is 554 Blue Sparrow Lane."

"Oh yes!  You were surprised with a gorgeous bouquet of sunflowers today. That's our most impressive bouquet. The most expensive summer option, too. What a lucky girl."

"Wow, well, can you tell me who sent them?" I asked.

"Let me see if I can find out. I'm sorry ma'am. I see that our customer purchased the ultimate surprise package."

"What does that mean?"

"It means that we are not permitted to reveal their identity, but I will tell you that he ordered them for Mae."

"And he didn't want to leave a message?" I asked.

"No ma'am. Our note reads, 'No Card. No Message.' I'm sorry. I'd love to be able to help you, but that's all I can share."

"Thank you so much for the tip. At least I know it's a man who actually knows who I am." I thought to myself, now that should be a short list!

            I hang up the phone and begin to think over the past several days, weeks, and months. Who had I met that may have wanted to surprise me with flowers? What a shame that I can't enjoy these beautiful flowers because I am too busy trying to think about who sent them. I guess I am just going to have to accept that there are some things that I can't know. Oh, that's going to be hard. There's no telling how long it will take for me to get this out of my mind.

            I place the bouquet in the middle of a small, slightly understated dining room table. It brightens the bare room and makes me smile. I have never been given a gift so big and expensive on a special occasion much less an ordinary day, but I like the way it makes me feel. For the past two years, it is as if I have been living under a rock. Cold. Dark. Alone. I want this bright and sunny feeling to continue beyond the life of these gorgeous flowers. I am not sure if that is something that I can do for myself. It seems as if I could have I would have.

            From where I'm standing, the crack between the wall and the blinds allows the sun to beam in on my face. I walk over to the blinds and open them for the first time in two years, disturbing the built up dust beginning to fill the air. I pull a dining room chair out and situate myself to enjoy the flowers and the sunlight at the same time. Motion from the open blinds got my attention. The little girl across the street is playing with her Pomeranian puppy. The puppy was nothing but a ball of white fur with legs. It would run around in circles and bark as if to say, "keep playing." A spontaneous, joyous giggle came from within me when the little dog began licking the little girl's face. In that moment, I realize that joy can come from a number of places. For the first time in a long time, I feel hopeful and desire to live.

            In a time of digital communication, I feel lost. It's hard to remember the last time someone called me or came by to visit. I still own a land line phone. I'm not completely in the stone age. I do have a cordless phone with a built-in answering machine. The only messages I ever get are the ones that offer me free trips, or the one that calls to remind you of your car warranty--that you never had--expiring. I can count on having a reason to walk to the mail box a couple of times a month, when the bills arrive. On a good day, the Home Shopping Network catalog comes to give me a heads up on what is going to be available on future shows. I have to really pay more attention to the specifications on items. Last month, I thought "a life size butterfly" would be the size of the butterfly, but apparently in China, it's the size of the person making it. What am I to do with a 5' tall butterfly? I digress from that rabbit trail.

            The sun is beginning to set. The rays aren't on my face anymore, and the little girl and her dog have gone inside for supper. Ugh. I guess it is time for me to make something for supper. I really don't like cooking for one. Fast and easy is my style with little to no clean up. That spells frozen dinner. You can find some pretty tasty frozen dinners out there, if you eat enough of them. I like when I get coupons for my favorite brand and pair it with a sale. I fill the freezer. They end up costing less than a dollar each. I feel good when I get a good deal.

            Today, I think I will do something a little different. I want to spend as much time with my beautiful flowers as possible, so I'm going to cook some spaghetti, make a pretty salad, and eat at the dining room table to enjoy them. I may even open a box of wine I got on special last week. What a great end to such a mysterious day. I hope I can revive the joy again tomorrow. It's nice to feel like I want to live.

© 2019 Margie F


Author's Note

Margie F
Please share with your friends to spread to raise mental health and depression awareness.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is very well-written, and it held my interest all the way through. In reading, I had to make comparisons to my own "dark days", a period of time in the late seventies, post divorce from my first wife. Well, a guy isn't very apt to receive flowers, but there are some other things that may help cheer him up. A stranger's smile, a friendly "good morning", phone call from a friend and yes--the sight of a child playing with a puppy. For these reasons, perhaps, I was able to take all your words to heart. If only everyone had the strength and courage to endure storms.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Margie F

5 Years Ago

Samuel, thank you so much for your response. I have learned through my life that the joy that is giv.. read more



Reviews

I understand silence ...to well. But takes time to learn how to exist within it ...and when.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A good idea to combat depression and mental health is to write stories or poems. Let your imagination soar above all everyday issues. Write as if your life depended on it!

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I have never considered the possible frustration of not knowing before. Throughout my life I have secretly done things for people (left an extra large tip in a restaurant for someone who's feeling down, fixed a broken fence while someone was away, etc.) Sometimes I hide and watch to see their reaction. It's not altruism, I get a kick out of it.
Very nice story. I feel uplifted.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Margie F

4 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your response. In this story, I don't know that it was frustration as much as .. read more
There's always an excitement when someone surprises you.
Though there's always that little doubt when no card follows it.
That dreaded thought it's for the neighbour next door.
I think now that mental health is out in the open, people do open up a bit more.
Still a minefield though, and people do tend to say the wrong thing at the wrong time.


Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Margie F

5 Years Ago

A second chapter is coming. It wasn't written with the intent to do that, but it's happening.
Paul Bell

5 Years Ago

Look forward to it.
The simple gift of flowers could make someone day more wonderful. Kindness is needed. All of us feel alone and sad. Need something to make us feel good. Thank you dear Margie for sharing the wonderful story.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Margie F

5 Years Ago

I hope your days are wonderful each and every day Coyote.
Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

I am surrounded. Grandchildren daily and busy life. A good thing.
This is such an uplifting story Margie. When that veil lifts and you can start to see colour and some warmth comes in after such a long depressing spell. I always find it is mother nature that can lift me. Gems for free, I call them. They can be so uplifting. This demonstrates so well what a kind thought can do to lift spirits. Yes, we should bear that in mind. There are so many people who suffer with mental health problems. A very well written story with my afternoon cuppa. Thank you for that. Pleased to meet you.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Margie F

5 Years Ago

Thank you Chris. I like your "Gems for free." Yes, they are.
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

You are welcome Margie
No way I could have given less than 100, Ma'am. It was such a motivational piece and very well written. And I am gonna share this with my friends and family for sure. Thanks for writing this beautiful story. It really encouraged me a lot as well.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Margie F

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much for letting me know that it encouraged you. When I wrote this piece, it wasn't for.. read more
Robin Dev

5 Years Ago

Yeah, you are so right... We sometimes write our heart out for our own benefit to release something .. read more
Margie F

5 Years Ago

I hope they'll open the blinds and let the sun shine in on them. :)
How such small acts of kindness can give such meaning and definition towards some happiness in someone life. And give them a mental lift, let alone physical boost too. Beautiful describes the tale of surprise and thoughtfulness towards someone who just did that for someone else they didn't know. But gave them joy in such a glorious act of goodness and kindness towards a fellow human being.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Margie F

5 Years Ago

Thank you for your comment. I agree...acts of kindness can be a major game changer.
Since I volunteered on a suicide prevention hotline for 2 years, I am well aware of the intent behind your story. There are many depressed people writing & posting here, often dreary messages, so I love seeing someone SHOW instead of tell, a more positive way to approach a communique about depression. I also love seeing a writer SHOW instead of preach . . . your subtle embedded suggestions for (1) how to make someone smile and (2) how to make yourself smile. Nobody likes being told how to live, so I appreciate that you urge people by writing a compelling tale (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Margie F

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much. I find myself in this story, and I know that doing these things would help me to .. read more
This is very well-written, and it held my interest all the way through. In reading, I had to make comparisons to my own "dark days", a period of time in the late seventies, post divorce from my first wife. Well, a guy isn't very apt to receive flowers, but there are some other things that may help cheer him up. A stranger's smile, a friendly "good morning", phone call from a friend and yes--the sight of a child playing with a puppy. For these reasons, perhaps, I was able to take all your words to heart. If only everyone had the strength and courage to endure storms.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Margie F

5 Years Ago

Samuel, thank you so much for your response. I have learned through my life that the joy that is giv.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

532 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 12, 2019
Last Updated on March 6, 2019
Tags: depression, seclusion, OCD, mental disorders, isolation, surprise, flowers, mystery

Author

Margie F
Margie F

GA



About
Artist, writer, and anything I want to be. My writing is original, and I DO NOT give consent for it to be copied, distributed or used in any way. more..

Writing
Regret Regret

A Poem by Margie F


Two Shots Two Shots

A Poem by Margie F


Yet Again Yet Again

A Poem by Margie F



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Just Quietness Just Quietness

A Poem by .


Benevolent Benevolent

A Poem by Ruth