Escape

Escape

A Story by Maria Prikhodko
"

She was a bird captured in the mental cage...

"
White. What a bland colour. And yet it seemed to envelope me in a calmness;

The calm before the storm.

They say I’m weird- that I’m mentally unstable. Right down from my plain oatmeal hair, to my tiny, baby sized feet. Me, a psychopath? What a joke! I giggled to myself inconspicuously, covering my mouth and turning away from the camera that rested in the corner of the room; Watching me. They think that they’ve freed me, by taking my originality away. In reality, they’re breaking my wings. Again. And again.

It hurts.

My hopes shattered. My dreams falling to pieces. My pride cracked and still crumbling down.

The white, padded door creaked open. Light, tapping footsteps echoed towards me bouncing of the white walls. White. It resonates into my soul; it hits a nerve. And suddenly it comes to me- an opening from this hellhole of a cage. About six point three seconds until she reaches me. It’s a female- A nervous one at that. I would know this much; her footsteps are too quiet. Tiptoeing. What, do they think I’m dumb? I giggled again.

“I- I’ve come with your happy medicine, Aracari.”
I did it quick. She was down in an instant, like a dead bird. A dead bird! I threw back my head, cackling. How convenient. And so I began my escape-

My flight to freedom.

I was so close. So, so close; and yet so far… Or perhaps not. They had cornered me into two hallways. One thing they hadn’t noticed. Right hand corner, three meters ahead twenty degrees north; my exit. The window had a square rim. I had never seen such beauty. Such simple beauty; a smudge of blackness against all this white.

And so I unhooked the lock. One leg out. Another. I took a deep breath and looked down. Five stories down; I would make it. Slowly I spread my wings. My sleek, black wings. Freedom beckoned me.

And I flew.








Her body twisted at such strange angles. What uniqueness. Her hair a plain oatmeal and her skin pale.




White. What a bland colour.

© 2016 Maria Prikhodko


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
V
An interesting and exciting way of storytelling. I especially liked the repetition of the line: White. What a bland color. Suspense and originality combined with clear and vivid images.

Posted 7 Years Ago


You really know how to hook a reader from the first sentence, right off the bat. That's a hard thing to do, but you do it flawlessly every time. I loved this smooth, powerful read. You give just enough information to set up the story and the situation, but leave it decently open-ended so that the reader can think and really take something, their own interpretation, away from it and I really appreciate that obvious skill in your work :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Maria Prikhodko

8 Years Ago

Thank you :)
Ahan... very creative you sound!
Nicely structured. Liked the pattern you used, sentences so well decorated with words, grammar, & everything. Ah.. so touching. Either she flies off to the sky, soaring through vanilla clouds or gets died... lost somewhere in the hallway of paradise that's either so white. Whao. Excellent work!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Maria Prikhodko

8 Years Ago

Its up to the reader's imagination ;) But for me- she freed herself and became her true self
Stephen

8 Years Ago

Yo... that's what i was talking about, june!!
hope u post some more stories. Don't stop sweet.. read more
Maria Prikhodko

8 Years Ago

Thank you, dear ;)
Well, this is a very different sort of story. You managed to very skillfully capture the spontaneous nature of the inner workings of Aracari's mind. This was an interesting respite from the norm.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

315 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 11, 2016
Last Updated on February 11, 2016
Tags: #escape, #mental, #fear

Author

Maria Prikhodko
Maria Prikhodko

Brisbane , Australia



About
Someone who is exploring the art of writing. more..

Writing
Cure Cure

A Story by Maria Prikhodko