The Love She's Never Known

The Love She's Never Known

A Poem by Mark

The Love She’s Never Known

mark teague July 31, 2014

When she was but a child,

Those whose task it was to teach her Life and Love

Praised instead a prettier sibling, ignoring her gifts,

Thus teaching her that Life is Pain, and Love is Shame

 

Then when she was a teen,

Those whose call it was to teach her to trust in God’s Love

Smote her innocent heart with rulers of Steel and Scripture,

Thus teaching her that Life is Fear, and Love is Guilt.

 

When only Sadness and Madness are shown,

When comparison and insult only are thrown,

We cannot wonder, or be surprised

Why, with trembling voice and doubting eyes,

She fears to reach out for The Love She’s Never Known.

 

When she became a young wife,

He whose privilege it was to Love her all her Life

Spat back what she offered in trusting Love

Thus proving for her that Life is Misery and Love a cruel Myth

 

 

 

And now that she is a woman full grown,

Those whose honor it would be to bless her Life with Love

Find themselves stymied, resisted and doubted,

Since Love has brought her little but anxiety and sorrow,

And those who proffered it were ever proven Liars.

 

Now a Man  into her Life has  blown

Who seeks to free her Heart of stone�"

He, too, is rebuffed and oft distressed,

Yet never doubts that Tenderness will reward his Quest:

To Gift her Life with The Love She’s Never Known.

 

Will she, CAN she welcome into her chest

That Troubadour? Can he ever pass her test,

And bless both their Lives with The Love She’s Never Known ?

© 2014 Mark


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I am this daughter, this child, this teen, this woman. In every aspect, I am this woman. It took many years of personal healing to allow myself to open my heart and love fully and completely. Regrettably, the one and only time that this happened, my loving heart ended up being hurt in the process. I have prayed for God to send another great love into my life, but this has yet to happen. Knowing and tasting the sweet fruit of love, I cannot settle for anything less. So, for me, it's all or nothing; and without it, I have accepted that I will probably be alone. I'm okay with that. It's better to have the memories than nothing at all.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

this is such a brilliant and an moving piece, you have captured so any feelings with this write.
i can really feel this write.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Yes, she can! Beautiful, powerful, climactic, troubling and true. To ignore the gifts of any child is a shame, to rule the innocent with iron bars and rule without love is harsh and it does produce guilt (unlike shame)... When you're only seen by those whom you love, as nothing more than a reason for complaint or ignorance, it is hard to imagine life without it... You almost become addicted to being a victim and NOT by choice. With care, kindness, poise and patience, I believe anyone can be brought to learn the "love they've never known." It takes a lot of work. Nice write.


Posted 5 Years Ago


Striking that the author's vantage point has seen so keenly into the vulnerable and trauma-disturbed childhood of a young girl. Very well done.

Posted 7 Years Ago


A true, a brilliant, a moving piece. Yea you, Mark, for penning it. (Please excuse me if I leave off ratings, as I have not yet learned the ropes.) I.I.

Posted 7 Years Ago


You capture some hard truths here. To be able to trust is very important even when that trust gets abused. Better not get distrustful yourself or cynical. Than all is lost.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Great depth & insight, Mark

Posted 9 Years Ago


I am this daughter, this child, this teen, this woman. In every aspect, I am this woman. It took many years of personal healing to allow myself to open my heart and love fully and completely. Regrettably, the one and only time that this happened, my loving heart ended up being hurt in the process. I have prayed for God to send another great love into my life, but this has yet to happen. Knowing and tasting the sweet fruit of love, I cannot settle for anything less. So, for me, it's all or nothing; and without it, I have accepted that I will probably be alone. I'm okay with that. It's better to have the memories than nothing at all.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is very insightful. There are so many in life who suffer in such a way.
'Once bitten, twice shy,' they say, a simple phrase that encompasses so much. Patience is the key. T.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Mark

9 Years Ago

These two poems you've reviewed today are my most recent, the first in over a year. Thank you for yo.. read more
A very sombre piece, Mark, imbued with wisdom. Unfortunately, those crusaders who do attempt to take on board damaged goods such as she, frequently walk away with their fingers burnt. I should know, it happened to me. David.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cryingkate

9 Years Ago

But Aren't we all damaged goods?
Cryingkate

9 Years Ago

:-) ..........
Bulls-eye ! dead center, straight from many hearts.

I have some advice on this matter in case it is a true endeavor.
Don't smother her with Love, for that's like reliving prick-full pains.
I would advice the best way to love is to be that love yet let her come to you.
Somehow find the way for her to want to come to you.

Sometimes it can be a painful reminder being loved.. They are all alike syndrome....
Being her best friend could do miracles.
Just my thoughts... :-)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Cryingkate

9 Years Ago

Mark,
My heart fills with joy and I have the biggest smile on my face every time I see your fa.. read more
Mark

9 Years Ago

Though I am sitting in the Denny's as I read this, I am nevertheless misty-eyed at your overt and si.. read more
Cryingkate

9 Years Ago

Well now I'm crying with you :-) Give Ma a hug from me too ...:-)

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1172 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 31, 2014
Last Updated on July 31, 2014

Author

Mark
Mark

Las Vegas, NV



About
Writing, for me, has always been the friend who brought out the best in me, and who would never argue with me, except when necessary to point out my many obvious inconsistancies. Writing and.. more..

Writing
K-20 K-20

A Poem by Mark


This Son Of God This Son Of God

A Poem by Mark



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Windy Windy

A Story by Samuel Dickens