Snowbound Morning

Snowbound Morning

A Poem by Mark
"

Dedicated to possibly the most unique person I know, but have never met!

"

Stretching my elbows alongside my head,

Fighting the need to rise from my bed

I spy, in the large picture window ahead

The sight I have dreaded, and dreamed...

 

I hastily wriggle my flannel gown down,

Notice one sock has slipped to the ground

But pad to the window, with barely a sound

And stand enrapt, at that sere scene!

 

The world, like the screen on a Fifties Philco

Has gone white and black, naught but shadows and snow!

My red, gold and ochre, tell me, Where did they go?

As my coffee I sip, newly-made...

 

Treebeard whispers to me, a vixen slinks by

A haunted expression alive in her eye

My heart reaches out to her, and my mind's eye

Wonders, how far from your den have you strayed?

 

Do your kits cry alone? Has your mate taken leave?

For your sad situation, I can't help but grieve,

And ask, How could I ALL of your hungers relieve?...

As I watch you pounce down through the snow.

 

I love all you creatures, four-footed and two,

The fisher, the ferret, the marten, the gnu

Contemplating your lives, as I'm so wont to do

As I back to my blue blanket go!

 

So the scene that I dreamed

When mind strayed, has new-made

my heart go to the snow--

Nemantic's blue blanket!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2009 Mark


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Laughing, smiling, wondering how you came to write this!

There's a ring of sounds in this, repetitive and lively, plus some grand lines: 'Treebeard whispers to me, a vixen slinks by A haunted expression alive in her eye' - and - ' I love all you creatures, four-footed and two, The fisher, the ferret, the marten, the gnu '

Seems there's a play on certain words here .. have to keep wondering though. In the meantime, thank you for sharing.



Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

There is a Japanese legend about men fearing their wives would turn into foxes and leave them. In real life, red foxes spend about 5 months of the year with their mates. They are solitary, inquisitive creatures. Being haunted by them is not so bad. They are creatures of the between times, walking between the worlds. They can hear a mouse tunneling under 3 feet of snow. Pretty fascinating critters... I can see why one would shake you from your dreams. I can assure you though, that they always find some way to keep their minds occupied. Conversing with trees is just the beginning. And their brethren, the fisher, marten, weasel... all wonderful four-legged folk as well. Not sure about the gnus... haven't known any of them in person!

Mark, this was a delightful read. Not sure why the color left the world, but I can tell you... foxes have more lives than cats, and vixens always find some trouble or other to get into! Your little lady will be just fine. Probably just stopping by to say she wished she remembered what it felt like to sleep in on a cold snowy day instead of having to get up, feed the kits, shovel the driveway, and generally be all responsible and such.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i used to throw out food for a red fox and a gray one...they would come very close and eat it,
which means they were very hungry, since they usually like to stay invisible.
i love the beautiful lines of reaching out, and the desire and intent of the poem.
the different hungers and the desire to ease in some kind way. very fine.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I wonder who the vixen is? We all do..lol..
Back to the piece. Just wonderfully written. You ruly have a great style and your metaphors are so interesting. I really enjoyed this piece and glad I found it at 5am..Thanks for this delightful read.

Lynne

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh this is wonderful! =D
The part about Treebeard made me go like "woah" that was good. *nodnod*
Thanks for this read! I really enjoyed it

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
LSS
Mark,
Absolutely loved the Poem, its ring and cadence. I get tired of repeating the same old lines to the likes of you, but you force me to relinquish some of my praise. Well done. My favorite lines are the last. That's the space I usually arrive at, at the end of most of my musings - Drifting off somewhere else.
Lar


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

the gnu? that one made me laugh.

very nice poem. i found the meter just fine. maybe an occasional break, but that might just be my reading. i saw the whole poem as i read it. nicely descriptive. and concerning your dedication, isn't it cool to be able to meet amazing and unique people online? it's one of my joys in life.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Laughing, smiling, wondering how you came to write this!

There's a ring of sounds in this, repetitive and lively, plus some grand lines: 'Treebeard whispers to me, a vixen slinks by A haunted expression alive in her eye' - and - ' I love all you creatures, four-footed and two, The fisher, the ferret, the marten, the gnu '

Seems there's a play on certain words here .. have to keep wondering though. In the meantime, thank you for sharing.



Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1038 Views
28 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on October 18, 2009

Author

Mark
Mark

Las Vegas, NV



About
Writing, for me, has always been the friend who brought out the best in me, and who would never argue with me, except when necessary to point out my many obvious inconsistancies. Writing and.. more..

Writing
K-20 K-20

A Poem by Mark


This Son Of God This Son Of God

A Poem by Mark



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Marilyn Marilyn

A Poem by OT


Goodbye Goodbye

A Poem by OT


Curious Alice Curious Alice

A Poem by OT


Ode To A Writer Ode To A Writer

A Poem by OT