A Christmas Wish

A Christmas Wish

A Poem by Mark
"

A bit of a rant, I suppose, on one of my least favorite phenomena of the Yule season

"

 

A Christmas Wish

 

Who took the "Christ" out of Christmas?

And where did it go?

And how long ago?

He sure risked some necks

When he first wrote an "X",

And took the "Christ" clean out of Christmas!

 

Let's put the "Christ” BACK into Christmas!

Only when this we do

Can we hope to have true

Love and faith for each other--

Treat each man as your brother,

And, perhaps soon, CHRIST will be back…

in Christmas!

 

mark Teague

c. 1977

© 2010 Mark


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Although I am not Jewish, if I chose to celebrate Hanukkah, I would not demand that they change to name to suit me. As a Christian, I do not take offense to others practicing their faiths; I only abhor them forcing their faiths and beliefs on me. I am tired of being told that I must call it Happy Holidays or Xmas because it offends the religious rites of others. Thank you Mark for standing up for your belief. For those who are not of the Christian faith, celebrate it for love, for the end of the year, for Santa Claus or don't celebrate it at all. It is your freedom to do so. Just don't correct me when I say "Merry Christmas"!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Amen brother. I like your words. I read something the other day about Santa Claus....and the harm he does to our children on Christmas. We teach them to believe in him with all their hearts...and then we tell them he is not for real....what do you think that does to their belief and faith in Christ? I think our children are becoming disenchanted.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Although a Christian, I can relate to Rick. I don't know why anyone would've started putting an "X" in place of "Christ," but I see that as laziness more than an affront to Christians. How ironic that a major part of Jesus' teachings is to value heavenly treasure over worldly, yet his birthday is such an enormous money-maker.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Hi Mark,

I enjoy the sentiment since I know how it was intended, and with that I fully agree. We should never make Christmas a cheap and vulgar holiday in which the goal is profit through sales, etc. That is done way too much in our society. But I also believe that Christmas can work as a secular holiday. Christmas can be a state of mind that can work across religious boundaries. The spirit of Christmas is that of love for each other. In the Christian tradition it is an act of love of God for Man that he sent his son to die for our sins. But the strongest message is Love--Love for all of Mankind. That is a powerful message that transcends all religious barriers. That is a powerful message which, if Man actually would let this work in the world, would solve almost all of our problems.

So Mark, thank you for this powerful piece. I'm sorry if I am nitpicking. I know the message you are sending with this piece. I'm just pointing out that as a non-Christian the message works for me as well, and I don't wish to be excluded from participating in the spirit of Christmas--and I know this is also the last thing you would ever intend, my friend.

This was greatly enjoyed and let me join you in saying "Let's put the Christ back in Christmas!"

All the best, my friend, and my fondest wishes for a Merry Christmas and the very brightest of New Years!

Rick

Posted 13 Years Ago


Thank you for sharing your words and your life with us, Mark. There is a profound message in your writing, for peace on earth won't simply come through us.. can see that every day just in the papers. So good to have you here, my friend.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Hi Mark a poignant thought a generous wish and a kind gift
Thank you
Tate

Posted 13 Years Ago



2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1399 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 20, 2010
Last Updated on December 20, 2010
Tags: Christ, Christmas, necks, x

Author

Mark
Mark

Las Vegas, NV



About
Writing, for me, has always been the friend who brought out the best in me, and who would never argue with me, except when necessary to point out my many obvious inconsistancies. Writing and.. more..

Writing
K-20 K-20

A Poem by Mark


This Son Of God This Son Of God

A Poem by Mark



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..