Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
The Wingman

The Wingman

A Poem by Mark
"

--a term known to all families of pilots; the comrade who flies slightly below and behind you, protecting you form unseen harm--

"

THE WINGMAN

 

The ebon jackdaw flew down and sat

Upon a sign, atop a tree

Whereon was writ, in languages three

“Of Jews, I Am The KING”; just that.

 

Feathers not preening, head looked not ‘round,

Its caws and cackles quite o’erthrown

By guttural gasp and gentle moan,

By the blood dripping onto the ground.

 

The scoffers rude at His feet stood,

While beyond His comrades wept,

 

Then with final groan these words escaped:

“It is finished,” then He slept.

 

‘pon hearing that, the ‘daw took His wing,

As Jesus’ spirit skyward leapt…

 

Mark Teague

© 2011 Mark


Author's Note

Mark
This had been posted a week before I realized that NOT everyone might even be familiar with the term "wingman". In fighter pilot parlance, he is the comrade who flies slightly behind and below you. We've all heard "Got your six", and "twelve o'clock high"; these are pilot jargon as well--imagine your nose as the noon position of a clock's face, and your wingman will be at your "four" or your "eight".
A second symbolism that no one has yet mentioned was the use of the jackdaw, a member of the blackbird family. The blackbird and all his kin are widely used throughout the world's religions as harbingers of death.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

so complete it is almost too perfect for words.

Posted 12 Years Ago


A poem I can tell you poured into! Brilliant language to withdraw commentary from a moment that will never leave history. I look forward to more of your poems....

Posted 12 Years Ago


As always love, an immensely touching read! The imagery bestowed a saddness to my heart and the structure, told perfectly! Astonishing work xoxo

Posted 12 Years Ago


I would've said Crow or Starling (that's before I read your note) I did see that one.. but some of the other meanings took me someplace I'm not familiar with, if I may be honest. Death hanging over watching this transpire gave to me, the feeling that it was a witness to a killing. (I know it's more than that..) Having given his sacrifice all are apeased as witnesses..(death and rebirth) The crying tears of those around hope that the willingness of this soul will be enough and they mourn the loss. (I am way off but I'm not versed in this type of references) Death is the one appeased and the good is the wingman...all around only witnesses to pain and loss. The blood shed till life beats no more, life gone is the sacrifice and the pain is the sufferage to allow the soul to move on after.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I am not religious at all - in fact, I may even go as far as to say that I disagree with religion - but your poem manages to address it without "being" it. You've written a beautifully human AND spiritual poem; you've grounded it rather than flung it skyward.
Plus, your choice of words is spot on.

This is a new favourite. Going in my library. Thank you, Mark!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Faith and Vision...are often recounted. Criticized - based upon another's views. We share our lacks loudly and hold our tenets tightly and close within. I can think on your words and see them coalesce into a variety of views. By implication and need multiple meanings can be argued - but it takes KNOWING the man to understand his intent. So the surface of my mind sees an act of God to become our protector, while within - the raven's caw has its own "children" circling.

Chris

Posted 12 Years Ago


I'll admit..your writing is sometimes over my head...but that's the whole point of writing and sharing...to inspire and to teach others a new way of reading..thinking...or to jump start the imagination. You dive into the pysche...and that is something to be admired.

Muse

Posted 12 Years Ago


I sit here in absolute awe! The first thing that hit me was the use of the "ebon jackdaw." I viewed this as a symbolic reference to death, as opposed to the white doves used throughout Scripture in reference to life.

What an incredible take of that moment that forever changed the world.

Posted 12 Years Ago


this was superb writing..this piece soared with great flow...utterly beautiful...

Posted 12 Years Ago


Superb writing, thoughts transcribed into pure poetry - plus utter respect and love for that precious moment. I can near see the bird flying its precious way .. a glistening herald ' ‘pon hearing that, the ‘daw took His wing, ~~ ~~ As Jesus’ spirit skyward leapt… '


Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1539 Views
32 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 7, 2011
Last Updated on February 16, 2011
Tags: 'daw, jackdaw, wing, wingman

Author

Mark
Mark

Las Vegas, NV



About
Writing, for me, has always been the friend who brought out the best in me, and who would never argue with me, except when necessary to point out my many obvious inconsistancies. Writing and.. more..

Writing
K-20 K-20

A Poem by Mark


This Son Of God This Son Of God

A Poem by Mark



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Heart in Hand Heart in Hand

A Poem by OT


HALT HALT

A Poem by Griffin Hill


I Wonder I Wonder

A Poem by OT