WHY? A 9-11 Question

WHY? A 9-11 Question

A Poem by Mark
"

A near-forgot memory, of an image of a circular rainbow, refracted off a shard of glass or a warped beam, prompted this overdue recollection. Read, and consider...

"

WHY?

MARK TEAGUE

September eleventh, 2011

 

From the wreckage of her wrist,

And the shards of silver sleeve

Her smoking, ghastly claw gropes for the sky

 

And Tower One, her gown undone,

In chorus, as the Nation grieves

Weeps softly, ever asking only, “Why?”

 

 

“Why must the Haters fear employ?

“Why believe they gain as they destroy,

“Who make Death to rain down from the sky?”

 

“How can they pray to win the day,

“As Manhattan’s millions moan,

“And three thousand, unsuspecting, die?”

 


Though holes in concrete scab and heal,

The holes in our hearts never shall!

Hear this, al Qaeda, our Nation’s angry cry:

 

The diamond ring, refracted

From that gnarly hand impacted

Points at your Soul, and softly mutters, “Why?”

 

You wave your arms, you ullulate,

And for this heinous deed, your god’s name name,

We can but hope, and in that Hope rely

 

That Love may soon usurp your hearts

As our God’s Truths take root, and start

Your healing, wiser then, whispering, “Why?”

 

© 2014 Mark


Author's Note

Mark
I had just sat down to breakfast, and was watching Katie Couric mender through the news on the Today show, when a sheaf of paper was thrust in front of her, and the news then and 37 minutes later changed the world. Where were you?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

What a powerful plea and prayer... you stir memories and hearts, and draw us to triumph even in the midst of such pain. Thank you for sharing words that breathe hope into days so filled with despair and overwhelming thoughts of suffering... we need such hope every day.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Fortunately, we Americans are not used to such horrors on our own soil, so that awful day impacted us especially hard. Now there are two events in American history that will live in infamy. Hopefully, there will be no more.
Your poem well captures our shock and confusion of that day.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very impressive, Mark. Though I am not an American, I'm sure that my reaction of shock/horror was repeated across the world in millions of homes, by those who wished no harm to America. All I can say is that their god is not my god, and I'm sure that they have since discovered that he is not their god either. As far as your heartfelt plea in the final verse, however, that 'Love may soon usurp your hearts' - I think that's one hope too many in that long dark journey into night.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow, breathtaking and heartfelt and the question why, all rolled into it. Beautifully woven into perfection!! This is a brilliant write!! God Bless America!! and God be with those family and friends who were lost!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


A brilliant exhortation which asserts the resolve and determination we clutch as a nation. The metaphor is nothing short of spectacular. The power of the first stanza was revealed by the completion of the second. A timely and provocative piece Mark. I am proud to have read it...
Todd

Posted 12 Years Ago



3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1636 Views
25 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on September 10, 2011
Last Updated on April 20, 2014
Tags: 9-11, 9/11, September 11, ring, rainbow, hand, moan, weep, why

Author

Mark
Mark

Las Vegas, NV



About
Writing, for me, has always been the friend who brought out the best in me, and who would never argue with me, except when necessary to point out my many obvious inconsistancies. Writing and.. more..

Writing
K-20 K-20

A Poem by Mark


This Son Of God This Son Of God

A Poem by Mark



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..