Wishes to my ChildHood Friends

Wishes to my ChildHood Friends

A Poem by Marquise
"

A letter to the childhood friends that didn't really get to be children.

"
I wish the internet existed when we were young so our dreams weren't limited to a four block radius.

I wish we looked at abandoned houses as opportunities instead of symbols of failure.

I wish we didn't attend church for funerals of slain loved ones more than actual church service.

I wish we didn't look for father figures on a street corners and TV Sitcoms.

I wish we didn't witness folks coming home from prison celebrated way more than folks going to college.

I wish we were profiled for our actions and not our skin color.

I wish we all made it out.

© 2022 Marquise


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This poem is a poignant reflection on the struggles and challenges of growing up in a disadvantaged community. The speaker expresses a desire for more opportunities and a broader perspective, and laments the violence and poverty that often plague these neighborhoods. The poem also touches on issues of race and inequality, highlighting the unfairness of profiling and the need for change. Despite the hardships, the poem ends on a hopeful note, with the speaker expressing a wish for success and prosperity for all. Thank you for sharing this powerful poem.

Posted 9 Months Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

54 Views
1 Review
Added on February 10, 2022
Last Updated on February 10, 2022
Tags: Wishes, letter, poem

Author

Marquise
Marquise

Philadelphia, PA



About
I don't consider myself a writer because I don't write often, but I have trouble putting words together when I want to express myself verbally. Writing is the one way I can do this successfully. I lov.. more..

Writing