Power of Words

Power of Words

A Poem by Mitch
"

Thoughts on language and its potential

"

I don’t think most people appreciate the power of words

I say most people and not “people” because “people” would include everyone

                and I don’t think this idea applies to everyone.  Just most.

I realize that the people who read or hear this are probably not the ones that this

                Is directed toward, but they are the people most likely to empathize

           so I rant…

 

I don’t think most people appreciate the power of words

Words are power.  They can move and inspire you.

They can build you up, tear you down, give you worth or none.

They can start wars or end them

They can define a generation

There is so much power in words and yet there are people who refuse to use them

They spurn words and cast them aside thinking if they were to be seen using them they wouldn’t be themselves anymore.

They don’t want to sound too smart or maybe something may be expected of them

It goes against their upbringing where words showed where you came from and who you were

And with every contraction, slang, and slur that slips out language dies slowly

 

Words reach into the very sustenance of your soul and take root

“I love you”, “I’m proud of you” “I knew you could do it”

“It’s a boy”

“She didn’t make it”, “I can’t do this anymore” “Get out of my house”

“I do”

Words accompany events in our lives and we don’t take stock to consider what we say. 

Are we in a hurry?  Do we really care?

These moments are here but once and then gone forever.

 

Words transcend time.  Long after we are gone and our memories are but anecdotes that are told every great now and then, our words resonate.  My great grandfather always said…

“We hold these truths to be self-evident” “I have a dream” “Ask not what your country can do for you”

“It is finished”

History will know you by your words. 

 

Words speak to the soul like nothing else.  They will penetrate your walls and paint the halls of your mind. 

Words will give you vibrant color that can only live in your imagination. 

Words will take you to places that you had thought you had forgotten.

Words can awaken your senses.  The correctly laid phrase will send your blood rushing and skin tingling and make you long for a lover’s touch.

Words can soothe you when you are lost and bring you home.

Words can kill you.  Or at least make you wish for death.  With every piece of loyalty and love can also come betrayal and distain.  Words are power.

 

Words are power and don’t be persuaded to the contrary. 

Words disarm and protect.  They chastise and console.  They edify and eviscerate. 

 

What would you do with the arsenal of the ages on the tip of your tongue?

© 2016 Mitch


Author's Note

Mitch
This is intended as a free form spoken word. Time would be given for the quotes to hang and no words here would be rushed. Its a celebration of words.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

So much truth in this piece. I think so many of us take for granted, the power in which we truly hold.
Words can bring forth life, as well as death.
That is a very overwhelming thought.
You touched on so many areas. My favorite portion is when you mentioned how words can awaken the senses. One of my favorite phrases:)

Well done. I truly enjoyed this piece.



Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mitch

7 Years Ago

I'm glad this offered some perspective. As always, I'm thankful for your words.



Reviews

So much truth in this piece. I think so many of us take for granted, the power in which we truly hold.
Words can bring forth life, as well as death.
That is a very overwhelming thought.
You touched on so many areas. My favorite portion is when you mentioned how words can awaken the senses. One of my favorite phrases:)

Well done. I truly enjoyed this piece.



Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mitch

7 Years Ago

I'm glad this offered some perspective. As always, I'm thankful for your words.
Your written words made me contemplate my own spoken words, as well as those regretfully left unspoken. I appreciate when a piece makes me think and feel.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mitch

7 Years Ago

I'm glad this spoke to you. The more I read, the more I appreciate words. I start to listen more. .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
3 Reviews
Added on August 22, 2016
Last Updated on August 22, 2016
Tags: words, language, speaking, spoken word

Author

Mitch
Mitch

AL



About
I've been in performing arts for about 20 years and work with students who are just starting out in order to find their own talents. I've recently begun writing in order to expand my own horizons. I.. more..

Writing