Designer

Designer

A Chapter by Mary Greenwell

Chapter Nine

It was a few years later and I was lying in bed beside Eli. He always stayed with me because of my nightmares and today August was supposed to come interview us again as the next Choosing came. I still hadn’t changed but Eli didn’t seem to be too worried about it. “Happy Birthday.” Eli whispered to me as we heard Elizabeth running through the house.

“Thank you.” I sighed but smiled as Elizabeth jumped right onto the bed. She sang happy birthday and then the knocks on the door started.

“Get dressed. I’ll let Austin in.” Eli promised kissing me and I sighed. He got up easily and closed the door on his way out. I stood up and slipped on my normal jeans and a t-shirt.

“You know it wouldn’t kill anybody if…” I tensed tightly and Elizabeth immediately started to apologize, “I’m sorry Bree…” She begged me to forgive her but then she ran out of the room, “Eli!!” She yelled and suddenly Eli was sitting beside me holding me close.

“She didn’t mean anything.” Eli whispered and I nodded but just clung to him. I had been overly sensitive to anything that had to do with killing since we’d gotten back and I knew Elizabeth always ended up blaming herself about it. It had just gotten worse as we got closer to this next Choosing when Elizabeth would be entered into it. I would be twenty-two when it was time and I knew Eli worried over it because I would have the chance to volunteer still and he knew that if Elizabeth was chosen I would volunteer to go again. He just sat holding me and then when I finally calmed down he helped me stand up.

“Elizabeth wants to go swimming.” He explained, “And you need a day away from everything.” I nodded and just let him lead me out of the house.

“I thought Elizabeth was coming?” I asked.

“No.” He shook his head, “Austin is taking her while we get some alone time.” He promised and I nodded. I let him pull me in closer and just put my head on his shoulder as everybody offered congratulations for hitting the important age. Eli stopped at the waterfall and just pulled me down to sit with him. “I love you Bree.” He whispered and I smiled. “I love you so much…” He sighed pulling me closer.

“I believe you.” I promised giggling.

“Marry me then.” He begged. He’d been asking me to marry him since a month after we’d gotten back.

“Eli…” I whispered and he held me closer.

“Please. I’m not asking you for anything else. Just marry me… make it where I can legally stay with you every night.”

“Eli…” I sighed but I stretched so that I could kiss him. “Yes.” I whispered when he just held my face still so that he could look at me.

“Yes?” He smiled and I felt guilty for every time I’d told him no.

“Yes… I’ll marry you.” I promised and he pulled me tighter into his arms before kissing me and slipping a ring on my finger. “Why did you have that ring with you?” I questioned remembering the first time he’d pulled it out.

“You knew that I was carrying it around.” He reminded me and I just sighed leaning into him.

“I guess we won’t have to worry about what questions August will be asking us today.” I smiled looking at the ring.

“No, that we won’t have to.” He smiled pulling me even closer before kissing me again. “I love you, Bree.” He promised once again.

“Love you too.” I smiled and stood up. “Let’s go find Austin and Elizabeth.” I suggested and he smiled leading me farther into the woods.

“Bree!!” Elizabeth yelled jumping out of the water and running to me. “Pretty…” She smiled taking my left hand and looking at the ring. “I told you she’d say yes soon.” She sent over at Austin and he smiled.

“Congratulations you two.” He promised wrapping his arms around my waist.

“When is the wedding?” Elizabeth demanded my attention again.

“We just got engaged, Bug. Give us a couple days to decide.”

“Well if you won’t tell me you’ll tell August.” She decided shrugging before she jumped off a little cliff and back into the water.

“She’s right you know?” Austin smiled, “August isn’t going to let you get away with not having a date.”

“Yeah I know…” I sighed, “Elizabeth?” I asked and she moved to sit beside us on the grass.

“Yes?”

“We need to choose a date.” I told her and she smiled.

“Soon.” She smiled, “I mean you and Eli have been together over four years.” She reminded me and I smiled moving so that my head was in Eli’s lap and I was spread out on the grass.

“We could have it in the town hall.” Austin told me, “They have an opening every Friday until the Choosing.” I turned away at the mention of my nightmares and Eli pulled me into his lap holding me close.

“When do you want the date?” Eli asked me after a few seconds.

“I don’t know.” I sighed, “Next month?” I questioned and he smiled eagerly.

“The sooner the better.” He promised and I smiled.

“Then sooner?” I questioned and he smiled even more.

“Sooner.” He agreed, “I would marry you today if I could.”

“Well technically you can.” I reminded him.

“You deserve a big wedding.” He whispered.

“I’ve never wanted a big wedding Eli.” I reminded him and he looked surprised.

“Are you telling me that you want to skip out on August and get married?” He whispered and I smiled before kissing him.

“No.” I sighed, “We can get married after he leaves.” I smiled and he pulled me back to him to kiss me again.

“We better get back then.” Eli sighed, “If you’re sure you don’t want to skip out.” He added hopefully.

“And have the president after us?” I questioned, “I’d rather not be on the run… at least not for the first few months of my marriage.” I requested and he smiled.

“Then let’s get you back before you have to run from Steven.” I laughed with Elizabeth at that and we all walked back to the house.

“Oh my…” Steven smiled when I opened the door. “Is this little Elizabeth?” He was looking behind me and I turned seeing only the eight year old that had been there when I’d gone to the games. He always joked like that when he saw Elizabeth.

“Yes… this is my bug.” I smiled and Elizabeth shook her head.

“I’m so glad you’re here. She hasn’t worn anything but jeans since you left.”

“I wear shorts.” I stood up for myself looking down at the jeans I had on.

“I think she’s gorgeous.” Eli promised pulling me up into him.

“You’re just scared that she’s going to change her mind.” Elizabeth argued and I smiled feeling Eli play with my ring. I pulled his arms up into my chest and he smiled tightening his hold.

“Okay Elizabeth what were you thinking of for today?” Elizabeth had been going to Cato, the fashion state, one week a month to work under Steven and learn the fashion world. I was trying to be supportive but when she was gone the only thing I could think about was that one day soon she would move to Cato and become Steven’s apprentice. Of course when she did that at sixteen she would become ineligible for the Choosing and Eli reminded me of that every time I started to worry about it. He would constantly remind me that I’d only have to live through the fear once.

“Let’s just sit and relax.” I suggested to Eli and he nodded. We sat beside Austin and just laughed at Elizabeth in her zone.

“This!” She declared handing it to me.

“Elizabeth?” I asked looking at the pale pink dress.

“Well it will get everybody excited about your wedding but it’s not white so you’ll have to let me dress you again after.” She added and I shook my head. “Please wear this dress… I designed it.”

“Then how can I say no?” I smiled and she hugged me.

“Thank you!” She smiled and I knew that everybody in the room could see that little girl that I missed so much. I stood up and walked into the bedroom walking out in the modest dress. “It’s you.” Elizabeth smiled excitedly.

“Yes. Thank you.” I promised her with a kiss but then she ran back to the racks.

“Here this is yours Eli.” She told him handing him blue jeans and a button down shirt.

“Not fair.” I frowned

“He’s a guy.” Elizabeth shrugged as Eli laughed getting up and heading out of the living room.

“So when did you and Eli get engaged?” Steven asked me.

“Today.” I smiled.

“Do you have a date for the wedding?”

“As soon as this interview thing is over.” I laughed this time and he joined. Eli came back in moving me back up into his lap and I smiled leaning back into him.

“Brenin!” August smiled coming into the room and I smiled as Olivia walked in with him.

“Hello.” I smiled getting up from Eli’s lap. He pulled me right back down into it, though, and I giggled. “I was going to say hi.” I chastised him.

“I didn’t want you to move.” He shrugged but kissed my neck and I smiled pulling his face up to mine.

“Good to see you two so happy.” August smiled at us and I shrugged getting comfortable in Eli’s arms. “So this is just going to be one of those short interviews that Brenin is so good at.” He promised us and I smiled.

“Let’s start then. I have other plans.” I commented and Eli’s arms tightened.

“Okay well we all see that you are engaged now…” August started and I nodded, “Is the wedding soon or…?”

“Whenever you leave.” I told him and he laughed.

“That explains the rush.” Eli laughed with him but I just moved closer to Eli. “When did you plan this?”

“This afternoon.” Eli told him, “We decided that we didn’t want to wait any longer.”

“I don’t think the world wants you to wait any longer.” August assured us like I would care what the rest of the world thought about me marrying Eli. I stayed in my thoughts the rest of the time and finally August turned off the cameras. “Congratulations again you two. By the time this airs you will be married.” I shrugged but stood up.

“Okay Elizabeth. Find the next dress.” I told her and she jumped up coming back quickly with a short white dress.

“Here go change.” She ordered and I sighed but walked back to the bedroom.

“You’re my wife.” Eli whispered that night after Elizabeth had packed for a night at Austin’s.

“I know.” I smiled stretching to kiss him. “I love you.” I promised him when he pulled away.

“I love you too.” He smiled and I moved so that I was deeper in his chest.



© 2013 Mary Greenwell


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

152 Views
Added on March 11, 2013
Last Updated on March 11, 2013


Author

Mary Greenwell
Mary Greenwell

Bloomfield, KY



About
I love to write and read. I am in college right now and so I don't get to write as often as I like but I still enjoy it. more..

Writing
Flashbacks Flashbacks

A Chapter by Mary Greenwell