The Crossroads

The Crossroads

A Chapter by Mary Greenwell

Chapter Twelve

We were on the train three days before we made it to Keithton this time and so on the day we arrived our stylists met in the room that had been assigned to Eli (like they expected us to be apart) and Eli just held my hand as they flipped through the clothes.

“These.” Steven handed me a short skirt and tank-top.

“Umm…” I started slowly looking only at Eli. “I don’t think these are going to fit anymore.” Eli smiled moving his hand to my stomach for a second and then lifted my lips. I had told him the first night that I was about five months along and after handling the fact that I had hidden my pregnancy so long he was understanding and excited.

“Wait…” Steven said looking at us. “It’s not a rumor?” He asked and I shook my head. “How far?”

“About five months.” Eli told him and he smiled.

“I’ll be back in twenty minutes.” He told his crew after getting all of my measurements. “Have her ready all but the clothes.” He warned and looked at Eli. “I want him completely ready.”

“Yes Sir.” The crew promised and I watched through the mirror as they did my make-up and hair and got Eli dressed. I smiled happily when he joined me just taking my hands.

“It will be okay.” I whispered to him knowing he was nervous like always. “We’ll just work on getting a lot of sponsors in case this Choosing lasts longer than the last one.” He nodded and bent to kiss my stomach. The more sponsors a person had the less ‘natural’ things the government threw at them.

“That is so cute.” Steven smiled and I blushed. “My mind was the same as yours though Brenin.”

“Bree.” I snapped, “My name is Bree.” Eli laughed and just shrugged as if saying ‘blame the hormones.’

“Well I think the best way to get you the most sponsors Bree… is to show off the bump that you’re sporting. That way those who haven’t heard the rumors won’t think that marriage has made you fat.”

“I’m not fat.” I said quickly and then looked self-consciously at Eli, “Am I?”

“No.” He promised with a kiss, “I like the pregnancy weight.” I blushed remembering a few weeks before when he had asked if I’d gotten surgery. I had lied and said nothing had changed but now I giggled thinking about it. I stood up moving to Steven and he smiled holding out a maternity dress. It was gorgeous and super tight.

“This… this will bring notice.” He smiled and I noticed that it was bright red. “I didn’t know the sex.” He shrugged, “Red seems like a good choice for either.”

“I don’t know the sex either.” I shrugged and Eli shook his head still upset that I hadn’t gone to the doctor.

“Yes well I was talking to the government…” Olivia started walking in, “We are going to have a doctor check you out here and give us the okay that you will have a competitive chance at this Choosing.”

“Good.” Eli smiled, “You should have gone to the doctor months ago.”

“Why I got everything I needed but ultrasounds from the nurse in our state?” I suggested and he frowned but stayed quiet. “Don’t sulk.” I whispered kissing his cheek, “It’s not a good look for you. You can’t change my decisions anyway.” I shrugged and he just sat back. “Fine…” I sighed and followed Steven knowing that Eli would be better by interview time.

We didn’t see each other again until we were lined up to go on stage and I couldn’t help but notice that the baby bump was the first thing anybody was noticing and that Eli looked worse. “Hello.” August smiled when we were all sitting. Eli had his arm around me but I looked up at him. It was an odd year and so he would start with the soldier states and work down to us.

“What’s wrong?” I whispered to Eli while the girl from Austen went.

“I just… I don’t like that you are going into this.” He sighed and then looked down at me moving his hand over to my stomach, “I can’t help hoping that tonight the doctor says you can’t go.”

“They won’t.” I told him, “It will be a Keithton doctor and that means they’ll want me there so that you will be angrier.” I shrugged.

“They’ll be looking for us both to be more of a threat since our child will be there too.” He admitted and I nodded.

“They won’t pass up the entertainment. Plus what if…?” I trailed off shaking my head and just putting it on his arm. “If I didn’t think you could protect me in here Eli… I would have scared another girl into volunteering or trusted you with Elizabeth.”

“No you wouldn’t have. You might have scared another girl into it but… I know with your nightmares that you have still… there’s no way you would have let Elizabeth in this country.”

“At least now you can admit that much.” I smiled up at him and he kissed me softly. We sat him holding me close until it got to me.

“Brenin Hampton.” August smiled and I walked over to him. “It looks like a lot has happened since our last interview…”

“Yes.” I smiled gently touching my stomach.

“What are you having?”

“I don’t know.” I admitted, “The government has been nice enough to schedule an ultrasound for me tonight though so maybe then.” I shrugged but made sure I kept the grateful tone.

“You haven’t had an ultrasound?”

“No.” I shook my head with a small grin, “Eli and I haven’t stopped arguing over how dumb it was of me to not leave the state to get an ultrasound but… well truthfully I don’t like the car.” I stage whispered like it was a big secret and the audience laughed. “I would much rather walk and our nurse told me it was probably the best for the baby anyway to exercise.” I smiled.

“So unfortunately our cameras at your state’s Choosing cut off right after you volunteered but there was a lot more that happened after you volunteered wasn’t there?”

“Yes.” I whispered.

“Why don’t you catch up the audience?”

“My sister tried to make me take it back.” I whispered, “She knew I was pregnant and didn’t want me to risk coming.” I looked down feeling tears but before even one fell Eli was holding me.

“Hormones.” Eli stage whispered and the crowd laughed again.

“How are you handling this Choosing Eli? It seems each Choosing you are entered in gives you more reasons to fight.”

“Truthfully?” Eli questioned tightening his arms so that I couldn’t escape the cameras. “I think I’m more scared than I have ever been.” I looked up at him.

“I think all of us dad’s out there could understand that. Your wife and child both here with you.” August shook his head and looked at Eli, “Do you have any plans this Choosing?”

“The same as last. Keep Bree alive. As long as she’s safe and well then my baby is too.”

“Our baby.” I reminded him and he smiled.

“…Our baby is too.” He promised me and the crowd awed.

“One more question Bree and then we’ll let you go sit down.” August promised and I looked at him. “Why hadn’t you told anybody you were pregnant?”

“Because we were already preparing for this Choosing. It was the first my sister was entered in and she was terrified. I knew that if I told anybody about the baby then… well they’d focus on me and not take as much time focusing on her mood and preparing her for what might come. I wanted to save the news for a time where the focus could be on this child and without taking needed attention from another.”

“That sounds like a lot to shoulder by yourself.” August commented.

“Well Bree is always shouldering more than she should.” Eli provided and I frowned.

“Well I’m being told that that’s all the time we have for today.” August told everybody but then he smiled, “I’ve also been told that we will be in the ultrasound room with them today.” He smiled at everybody but Eli tensed obviously not happy with the decision. We only had time to eat and get some blood before we were in the doctor’s office with all of the Choosing Candidates outside in the waiting room.

“Bree… Elliot…” The doctor smiled, “I am Samantha.” She introduced herself and I took her hand. “I’m going to be in charge of deciding your eligibility for the Choosing. We’ve never had a pregnant candidate.” She smiled and then put some warm jelly on my stomach. “You said you were about five months right?” She checked and I nodded just looking at the screen.

“What do you see doc?” Eli asked.

“I see two somebodies.” She whispered and looked at us, “You are having twins.” I looked up at Eli and then back at her.

“Are they okay?” I whispered and she nodded.

“Perfectly healthy. Your nurse has been doing a good job.” She looked at the cameras and then back at us, “Do you want to know what they are?”

“Do you?” I whispered up to Eli.

“Whatever you want.” He promised and so I nodded.

“Yeah… let’s find out.” I figured if the Choosing got too horrible I could focus on my babies and finding names.

“You are having a baby boy and a baby…” She looked at the screen again, “Well I think it’s a girl.” She promised, “I could be wrong though the umbilcal chord is kind of in the way.”

“A boy and girl.” I smiled up at Eli.

“Doctor?” August asked and I knew that he’d just been told something. “We need to know if she can compete.”

“Yes. I actually think her being pregnant will give these two an advantage. Nobody has seen a Momma when her baby is in danger.” I suddenly had memories come to the front of my mind and was terrified.

“Can I get my wife to bed now?” Eli requested, “Today has been a long day.” They nodded and he helped me up. “Why are you so scared suddenly?” He whispered in bed.

“You are going to end up hurt.” I whispered, “You’ll end up hurt in this Choosing because of me and our babies. I should have scared somebody else into coming.”

“I won’t get hurt.” He promised, “I’ll try to keep my mind straight.” I smiled some and just leaned into him. “There is something I want tonight though.” He smiled suggestively on my neck.

“A shower?” I suggested.

“No I want to take you right here in bed.” He warned me but pulled the covers over our head, “Now they won’t see you.” He explained and I smiled giggling as he pulled my underwear off.

“I love you Eli.” I whispered curling into him afterward.

“I love you too Bree.” He promised softly with another kiss. “You should try to sleep.” He whispered softly.



© 2013 Mary Greenwell


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
Added on March 11, 2013
Last Updated on March 11, 2013


Author

Mary Greenwell
Mary Greenwell

Bloomfield, KY



About
I love to write and read. I am in college right now and so I don't get to write as often as I like but I still enjoy it. more..

Writing
Flashbacks Flashbacks

A Chapter by Mary Greenwell