Soldier

Soldier

A Chapter by Mary Greenwell

Chapter Twenty

We spent most of the next morning in bed only to be forced up by Rose. “Baby girl. You just wanted to be with us.” Eli smiled holding her and I smiled. “Where are all of her toys?” He whispered.

“She doesn’t have any.” I whispered looking down.

“Bree?” He whispered lifting my chin. “What’s wrong?”

“I’m not a very good Mom am I?” I whispered.

“You raised Elizabeth and look at her.” He told me and then smiled. “You should see what she thinks of you.” He lifted Rose’s hand and put it on my neck but Rose reached for me and I took her carefully. “Now why don’t you show Mommy what you think of her?” He suggested and I listened eagerly as Rose’s thoughts transferred with memories and stories and then they moved to Eli and I put her other hand on him.

“She already loves you too.” I whispered and he smiled before kissing me softly. “Let’s go try and find some toys in this place.” I suggested and he smiled leading me out of the apartment and through the building to the store.

“Bree.” President McGuire came up to us at dinner.

“Yes?”

“I wanted to let you know that you will join the army next week.” She warned and I nodded.

“The army?” Eli whispered.

“I had to agree to join in exchange to get to go help save you.” I shrugged, “I don’t see how it could be too dangerous.”

“The vampire countries are constantly fighting each other Bree.” He shook his head, “I don’t want you in that army.”

“Well I already made a deal with President McGuire.” I whispered.

“What if I could change that deal?” He requested, “Would you be willing to go along with it then?”

“That depends.” I told him but Rose started crying and I quickly moved her up onto my shoulder and started to rock.

“What does it depend on?” He requested.

“Whether you would end up taking my place.” I said distractedly while we walked to get her blood.

“What if I did?”

“Then I wouldn’t go along with it.” I warned automatically.

“Bree…” He whispered.

“No.” I stopped quickly but saw Cally and put out my hand to stop her. “Do you mind to feed Rose for me?” I requested and she looked between Eli and me staying silent as she took Rose and carried her to the kitchen. “You have no clue how it felt to think you were dead. How it felt to have to sit alone with our child and come up with a name… you have no clue how any of that felt and I will not bring that feeling back voluntarily.” I snapped at him and then I walked to the kitchen alone while he stood in shock.

“She’s been through a lot.” I heard Dad telling him and I took off at a run. I ran straight out of the underground city and into the woods only to run into military training.

“Can I join today?” I requested from the man in charge.

“Ms. Paylor.” He nodded and gestured for me to join the military. “We are running twenty miles.” He warned and added, “I expect it under thirty minutes.” I nodded understanding that that was even fast for a vampire but I just lined up and then waited for the third string and took off. I saw Eli find me as I ran and so I just sped up wanting to know why he was talking to the commander.

“What’s going on?” I demanded when I finished.

“I said twenty miles, Soldier.” The commander warned.

“I did twenty sir.” I told him and just looked at Eli.

“It’s been fifteen minutes.”

“Well I’m finished.” I shrugged and he smiled at Eli.

“I don’t think you’d have to worry about her getting hurt. She’s the fastest vampire I’ve seen.”

“Not me.” Dad’s voice came and I started for the track.

“I think I’ll run another twenty.” I told the commander.

“Commander Paylor.” Dad started and I turned looking at the commander and seeing the resemblance he had to Dad. “Your mother didn’t die in the fire.” Dad told me. “She died in childbirth.” Commander Paylor looked away, “It wasn’t your fault son. She had a lot of injuries from the fire and you did too. Luckily we could force your change on you.” I took off quickly as my pain doubled in intensity. Dad hadn’t been forced to stay here. He’d chosen his son over me and Elizabeth.


© 2013 Mary Greenwell


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
Added on March 11, 2013
Last Updated on March 11, 2013


Author

Mary Greenwell
Mary Greenwell

Bloomfield, KY



About
I love to write and read. I am in college right now and so I don't get to write as often as I like but I still enjoy it. more..

Writing
Flashbacks Flashbacks

A Chapter by Mary Greenwell