Tortured

Tortured

A Chapter by Mary Greenwell

Chapter Twenty-Three

“Bree…” The nurse sighed when we walked in. “Elizabeth, how did you find her?”

“She was just in the woods.” Elizabeth shrugged as Nurse helped me into bed.

“You should go tell Ell…” I attacked again at the name and then I was being held back by two people and was given a shot.

“They did the vampire version of what he had done.” I woke up to Nurse’s voice. “They taught her to fear him though. They wanted to make sure that she wouldn’t be involved in defeating the country.”

“How did they know that we were planning to use her to help with the revolution? She didn’t even know that.” Commander Paylor’s voice came too.

“They must have a spy here.”

“Will it work if we have somebody give us a memory that the government wouldn’t know about?”

“No. When it was done to him that only worked because they’d done a procedure that would work for humans… with her… well I doubt she even remembers what they did. I have no idea how to fix this.”

“What about that book?” Elizabeth whispered.

“Which book?” Austin’s voice came.

“The Hunger Games. They did something like this to Peeta and…”

“I don’t think your latest read is going to help.” I jumped up at his voice and immediately started to tackle him but I was back in bed drugged before I even touched him.

“I told you that when she was asleep you were allowed in only if you could keep quiet.” Nurse warned him. “We need her calm until we can figure out how to fix this.”

“Will you please try my way?” Elizabeth whispered, “You know that I love her just as much as you do. She’s been my mother, sister, and best friend my whole life. I can’t just sit in here and not do anything.”

“It’s worth a try. We can hack into the videos that Keithton has and have her watch them. We should know if they showed them to her by the way she reacts.” I let myself fall asleep as they moved to other conversations.

“Bree?” Elizabeth whispered one morning and I opened my eyes. “Will you please talk to me?” She begged. “I need you.”

“I need you too.” I managed in a whisper and she smiled bending down and kissing my cheek.

“I changed while you were gone.” She told me and I nodded. “Please Bree…”

“I… I can’t.” I shook my head and felt the tears start to fall and she gently wiped them away tear by tear.

“Bree?” Austin whispered and I looked up at him.

“She talked to me for a few seconds.” Elizabeth told him with a smile. “I think she’s going to be okay.” I shook my head and rolled over.

“Do you remember how she was before she met Eli…?” Austin whispered and I jumped up again attacking. When I came through I found myself tied to the bed and Daniel in the room. I struggled against the ropes as fear claimed me but then somebody came in and took him away. I was spoon fed all the food I ate and then they started their torture.

I had read the book that Elizabeth was talking about it had come out before Keithton had taken over everything. I had known they would make me watch every memory of the games and that they would give me calming medicine to deflect what Keithton had done to me. I spent the week quiet as they waited to see what would happen to me. I was completely confused about every memory I held by three months later but I was allowed to move around again as long as I had guards.

“Bree?” Elizabeth smiled when I moved to their table with my tray of food.

“Can I sit here?” I whispered and she nodded. I looked beside her and found Eli and so when I felt the fear come I quickly dug my wrists into my cuffs. I sighed when the fear changed to confusion and I ate a little of my food before asking Elizabeth. “Did I really have a baby girl?”

“Yes.” She whispered. She had come to visit me every day and lately as the confusion became harder to live with I would ask her if what I remembered was true or false.

“Did he try to kill me?” I asked and saw the shock on everybody’s faces. “Did he try to kill me?” I repeated.

“No.” Elizabeth whispered, “He’s always tried to save you.”

“Then why did he send me into the second choosing?” I continued.

“He didn’t.” Austin told me when Elizabeth took Eli’s hand and led him out of the room. “You volunteered because of your guilt with Elizabeth.”

“Is my father really alive?” I whispered.

“Yes.” I stayed quiet after that and just looked around the room.



© 2013 Mary Greenwell


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
Added on March 11, 2013
Last Updated on March 11, 2013


Author

Mary Greenwell
Mary Greenwell

Bloomfield, KY



About
I love to write and read. I am in college right now and so I don't get to write as often as I like but I still enjoy it. more..

Writing
Flashbacks Flashbacks

A Chapter by Mary Greenwell