Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Maria M

Chapter 3

            Half an hour later, spent passing through the throngs of people passing through the busy streets of New York, I found myself in front of Christina’s apartment building, Elisa’s sister. She couldn’t have possibly left could she? I mean were else could she be? I had an urge to enter the building, but I had to think this through. Maybe I wasn’t ready to face Elisa just yet, the wound she had inflicted on me was still fresh, the anger I felt towards her had presumably doubled by the time I had gotten to Christina’s apartment, and I was in no mood to argue with someone who had just walked out on me.

            I looked at the grey building that stood before me. Hmm, I remember this one. I was in a bidding war with three other companies to re-build and renovate this apartment block. I was all up for it, it was in a great location, the asking price wasn’t out of my budget, and the profit would be almost three times as much. But I had lost to Milo Banks, a young investment banker who was making a name for himself and a whole lot of cash with the help of his father’s deep pockets. All I had when I started was a dream and a suitcase.

            I shook my head. This was clearly a bad idea. I had come out here for the wrong reasons. I didn’t come out here to try and arrange things, I had come out here with the intention to start another war, between me and my wife. Well, as I may put it, ex-wife. As soon as I started to turn around I hear a voice calling my name:

            ‘Richard?’ I turn around.

            It was Christina, wearing a black body-con dress which hugged her body, a cream Burberry coat which she probably bought from 5th avenue, black tights, and black 5-inch stiletto heels which still didn’t do any justice to her height. Her jet black hair hung on her shoulders in a flurry of beautiful curls, with her olive skin and hazel eyes; you could count her a movie star. But Christina was none of the sort. She had just given birth to her first child, Lola, and was a stay at home mom, whilst her husband, Jack, directed films, right now on location in Florida.

            ‘Um, hi, Christina, I have to go. I’ve done a mistake coming here,’ I said.

            ‘No Richard, come inside for a cup of coffee. Lola’s upstairs with her nanny, we can have a little chat,’ said Christina, looking hopeful.

            I looked at her, weighing my options.

            ‘Okay, sure,” I said.

            Christina nodded, and then smiled. I followed her into the building and into the one of the three elevators which lined the lobby of her building. In a matter of seconds we were at the 32nd floor. As we were making our way through the corridor to her apartment, I couldn’t help but wonder what she would want to have a chat with me about. A dawn of disappointment swept over me, this could only mean one thing. Elisa was not here. If she was, Christina would not have invited me in. So, where the hell was she?

            Christina unlocked the door to her apartment. When walking in the first thing that hit me was the strong smell of Italian antipasto in the air. Seems like her nanny was a cook as well. Christina’s apartment is very much like mine, except she had three bedrooms and a separate bathroom from all the rest. She had designed her place with an old Hollywood theme in mind: dark sultry reds, brilliant whites, sparkling silvers, and jet black all over the apartment. Except her daughter’s room, that was sporting the Princess Theme as if you were in a Disneyland Hotel.

            Christina motioned for me to follow her, and we went over to the kitchen, where as I suspected, Lola’s nanny was brewing up dinner in one of the most lavish kitchens I have ever been in.

            ‘Sally, is Lola alright?’ asked Christina.

            ‘Yes miss, she is taking her afternoon nap, she should be up in a couple of hours. This dinner is ready as well, ‘ said Sally, looking satisfied.

            ‘Thank you Sally, you can leave now,’ she said.

            And with a nod, Sally turned her heal, grabbed her bag and walked out of the apartment. After we heard the door closed, Christina turned to me, a look of concern in her eyes:

            ‘Roger, what the hell have you done?’ Christina asked.

            I obviously looked at her like she was crazy. ‘What have I done?  Are you kidding me? How about you call your sister to have an adult conversation and ask her why she had to interrupt one of the most important meetings in my life, to come to my office declaring that I had never put her as my priority and then simply walked out of my life?’ I said, anger sweeping over me.

            ‘Roger, I understand. But, why didn't you go after her? Can you explain that to me? Fine, you came here looking for her, expecting her to once more find shelter in my home until the fight is over. But Richard, that ship has sailed. She called me telling me that she was going out of the country to Dad’s estate in the south of France and she remained on staying there until she gets herself together so that she can build a new life,’ she said.

            ‘Well, I’ll go to the south of France if I have to for her. But Christina, you have to understand me, I have always loved your sister blindly. I am truly heartbroken with what she’s done to me. She’s literally thrown away our marriage without trying,’ I said.

            ‘She didn’t throw away the marriage without trying Richard. I’m the one who had to stay by her countless nights trying to soothe her whilst she cried on my shoulder. You have literally broken her and turned her into a woman with no confidence because her husband is more interested in work than her. I mean come on Richard: she is beautiful, talented, smart, a hardworking woman. I may seem to boasting but hell to it, she’s my sister and I want the best for her. Coming to the point, I want the best for you because at the end of the day you were the best thing that ever happened to her,’ she said.

            ‘And she was the best thing that ever happened to me. But I do not think it is mature to run away to the South of France and from your problems back here in the states. I’d love to run after her, but I have business here to attend to, very important business that can make or break my company. I love her but I love my career as well, giving her all the priority would mean me losing my career, which I was never ready to lose,’

            ‘Then you should have never gotten married in the first place. You promised her that work would never come first. Why go back from your word, Richard, why?’

            ‘And how should I know that success was just around the corner?’

            ‘That’s still no excuse, and you know it Richard Johnson,’

            ‘So the only reason you got me up here was to tell me what a fool and a loser I am for letting her go? She didn’t even give me a chance to make things right. I had to go to an empty house hoping that I would find her there and we could talk it through. How did she decide that one fine day she would wake up and say: hey, I’m not happy today, let’s end this marriage?’

            ‘Richard, I had another reason for wanting to talk to you. Now you know how much I love Elisa, but in certain cases I do not agree with her decisions and all her bad choices end up on my conscience because I know I could at least try to make the situation better. Now I know what Elisa has been going through, hell my husband is in another state for the next two months. So my situation is worse then hers and..’

            ‘Please come to the point Christina, I’m just crushed,’

            ‘ OK, but, promise you won’t tell her I told you this, not to her not to anyone?

            ‘You have my word,’

            ‘ OK, Elisa didn’t only go to the South of France to visit Dad and to have a break from the states. She took Milo Banks with her. They seem to be really hitting it off and have been great friends for a while now. I don’t think she was having an affair, or if she is she hasn’t told me a word of it, but I thought you should know,’

            ‘You’re not kidding are you?’

            ‘Wish I was. They met at this after-party of a fashion show and seemed to become friends. They've been seen all over New York together. I thought you knew, and that’s why I was so angry at you. She was crying out for attention, and I bet she thought that if you saw her with another high end investor that you would feel jealous and arrange things,’

            ‘I’m sorry I have to go,’

            Christina nodded and a sullen look fell on her face. I bet she was contemplating whether what she had done was the right thing or a total mistake, especially if her beloved and liar of a sister was making up her mind whether she would take me back or not.

            ‘And thank you, I’ll keep in touch,’ I finally said.

            I turned on my heel, and walked out of the apartment and out of the building in a haze of thoughts and disappointing feelings. So that’s where she was, or perhaps were she was going. It’s very savvy, on a flight to the South of France to be in the company of another man.

            Whilst walking home one thing was going through my mind. The first thing I’m doing the following morning is definitely calling my lawyer.

            



© 2013 Maria M


Author's Note

Maria M
any thoughts?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great chapter!! You now having me wondering what Elisa and Milo are up to. I hope you take us to South of France in the next chapter so we can have a peak into the life of Elisa! Keep up the good work! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Maria M

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much!!! Hmm... we might just take a trip to South of France.. I don't know if its this .. read more
Maria M

11 Years Ago

4th chapter is up :) :)
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AK
Stunning chapter! The flow was unperturbed and the narration, intriguing. It is one of this times when I don't know whether I should sympathise with Richard or Elisa, lol :P
Can't wait for more! Great chapter, keep writing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


AK

11 Years Ago

Haha, ok. Thank you :)
Maria M

11 Years Ago

next chapter is up :) sorry for the long wait :P
AK

11 Years Ago

No problems :)
I'll read it now!
First thing is I'd give that Milo a large piece of my mind. The South of France? You bet there's funny business going on.

I can see something awful happening to Milo. At least I hope it does. Maybe Elisa's heart is pure but not that sneak, Milo Banks! The rat.

Too much fun. You describe life in uptown NY well for not having been there. Nice dialog.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Clayton Bardwell

11 Years Ago

My mother emigrated from Spain with her mother, and two older brothers and settled in NY before comi.. read more
Maria M

11 Years Ago

Oh did they find any success? I'll be heading to New York when I save enough money to afford the tri.. read more
Clayton Bardwell

11 Years Ago

Yes, actually my mother was quite famous having several books with her in them. She was a script su.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

234 Views
3 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 16, 2013
Last Updated on January 16, 2013
Tags: love, life, divorce, heartbreak, France, sister, holiday, south, states, New York


Author

Maria M
Maria M

Zabbar, Catholic, Malta



About
Hi, My name is Maria. I'm an 18 year old University Student studying Radiography and Radiotherapy for the next four years of my life. I also live in the beautiful island of Malta. I've always loved.. more..

Writing
Brick Walls Brick Walls

A Poem by Maria M


The Broken The Broken

A Poem by Maria M


Unsaid Unsaid

A Poem by Maria M