The Ozarks

The Ozarks

A Story by Matt "Mickey" Denney
"

A simple essay of what I have experienced as an Ozarkian.

"
Growing up in the Ozarks has been a wonderful thing for me. There is something about the natural beauty that catches me and will never let go. There are rolling hills (called "The Ozark Mountains.") Five major lakes help make the region what it is. All through out the region flow many lakes and tributaries extend from lakes. Trout, catfish, and Bass are loaded into these waters, the Trout of course existing in only the cold, clear streams. Wildlife is extremely abundant. In Pleasant Hope, Missouri where I lived in 1995 to 1998, it was "no big thing" to look outside and see a dear hanging out in the close (very close) pasture. Had I been an extreme hunting nut I could pick them off from the kitchen table. But these things were too magnificent to tamper with. I remember building a cabin there with a good buddy of mine. Having a great family life, I was able to enjoy family camping in the summer at Table Rock Lake, along with countless fishing trips with my dad and my grandfather. Who says the history doesn't matter? I remember hearing that constantly in high school. I have since realized that it is a part of who I am. It tells of where I come from and even has a small role in who I define myself. Driving to Branson from Springfield on Interstate 65 would give satisfying views and scenery. There are natural cliffs and huge hills, winding highways. And even some people that don't have Social Security numbers. There are a lot of "good ol' boys in those areas, people that would give the shirts off their backs to a complete stranger. The area gives one a sense of peace and acceptance. I am proud to be an Ozark boy, heh heh. Let none of us forget where we come from.

© 2011 Matt "Mickey" Denney


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
?
I love the the Ozarks...Missouri...Arkansas..
We have a place in Eureka Springs now..I have no idea why Im still here in Oklahoma...lol would much rather be there
Beautiful story, You have described it perfectly

Posted 12 Years Ago


the ozarks sounds like a wonderful place, full of beautiful animals, lakes, and nature. perhaps when you come from the city you can really notice the small stuff the local people consider. you have given an excellent view and understanding of the ozarks and the inhabitants. they need to be give a tribute. great work.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Matt: being a country boy myself,I liked your piece very much...descriptions
brought back memories of me in the NY southerntier as a boy...very nice
indeed... good luck in your writing... Stan

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

396 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 14, 2011
Last Updated on September 14, 2011

Author

Matt "Mickey" Denney
Matt "Mickey" Denney

Lincoln, NE



About
My name is Matt and I'm originally from The Ozarks of SW Missouri and miss it terribly. I have lived in 13 States and overseas and am bilingual. I studied Computer Science and Religion in school. I lo.. more..

Writing