Grace for Nancy

Grace for Nancy

A Poem by mcg03002
"

Well, a certain television personality pissed me off... Oscar Wilde said "Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future." I believe it. That's why I wrote this.

"

How does a man who once was good become a villain?

How would you change him...if you could...if he was willing?

            Perhaps you’d take his life away;

            Or cause him pain from day to day;

            Until he breaks under the strain.

 

What is the cost of peace of mind through retribution?

Are we too cold and cruel to find a fair solution?

            I can’t believe that you would say;

            This is the price that one must pay;

            For having made just one mistake.

 

                        Can he take it back?

                        Where did he lose track?

                        Where’s compassion gone?

                        Recompense is set in stone.

 

                        A man is not defined;

                        By a sin or crime;

                        If his heart is true;

                        There is much that he can do.

 

Must every Icarus be doomed to sure destruction?

Or, can a life be saved through passionate instruction;

           

                        If we try?

© 2010 mcg03002


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I'm not particularly fond of her either, but I'm sure there's some reason she acts like she does. Regardless this poem does a good job of carrying it's message clearly. The use of this allusion here at the end is appropriate especially for the type of poem your thesis has directed you to. It is reminiscent of classical poetry (Horace, Ovid [I know they're Roman unlike Icarus but close enough]) and it's archetypal thematic center: morals and politics. It is not a impressionist poem or an extistential wandering of the mind, but instead a well developed argument meant to be clear and concise.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I do not know who is the Nancy in question but yet, your poem is very moving in its plea for compassion. Indeed, we should all extend our comprehension and hope your poem will give food for thoughts to many readers. Great!

Posted 13 Years Ago


This elicits reflection on my sociology classes. As well as the political science theory classes. This of course is a great philosophical question worth discussing. It is amazing how mankind has developed and how fairness has evolved. I loved the way the poem keeps asking questions, it is very rivoting. You are not just reading and thinking of what you are saying, but forcing the reader to look at themselves and their own reaction. If we try? you bring everyone into the position responsible for a decision to be made. We are all symbiotic in the society in which we live, so how would we react in the same situation. Questions, questions, questions. We will never have the same answer. Loved it!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Your message is true..I like it

Posted 14 Years Ago


If you are speaking of the commentator I believe you are, I watched her once, for five minutes, and switched off, precisely because of the bombastic and judgemental attitude that has become her trademark (I once wrote such a letter to Sam Donaldson, if you are old enough to remember HIM!; he didn't rate a poem)
Your free-form meter and rhyme is refreshing, and elicits the gatling-like speech the Tennessee Titan is so popular (??) for. If I could change one thing, it might be to end the second line with "willin' ", rather than "willing", to better make the rhyme from Line 1. "Gone" and "stone" are close enough to pass, I think . Really fine work--May I ask your name?


Posted 14 Years Ago


I'm not particularly fond of her either, but I'm sure there's some reason she acts like she does. Regardless this poem does a good job of carrying it's message clearly. The use of this allusion here at the end is appropriate especially for the type of poem your thesis has directed you to. It is reminiscent of classical poetry (Horace, Ovid [I know they're Roman unlike Icarus but close enough]) and it's archetypal thematic center: morals and politics. It is not a impressionist poem or an extistential wandering of the mind, but instead a well developed argument meant to be clear and concise.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

386 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 12, 2010
Last Updated on April 12, 2010

Author

mcg03002
mcg03002

Idaho Falls, ID



About
I am just a wannabe writer living in Idaho Falls. I work full time as a sales manager for a hotel. Here's a song I recorded for a dear friend. It's a cover of one of my absolute favorites. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Beat Beat

A Poem by mcg03002