Pieces of History

Pieces of History

A Story by The Scholar
"

some history for a book of mine, important historical quotes and passages

"

"If ever days are to be looked back upon and decreed the halcyon days of our youth, these are most worthy! For our dreams are salty as the sea, and dance upon our tongues in rich flavour, and to seal our lips and swallow them seems the most effortless thing in the world. Our greatest fears then, are simply that the joys of tomorrow will be unable to surpass those of today, and that our dreams, once attained, will have been too easily won."                      ~Alla Idas, scholar, writer, cartographer, and counselor and ambassador to High Lord of Daresiden, Allian Ebolan during his ruling, 209 A.Y.


"I cannot laugh anymore.
I used to. I used to laugh all the time. Things were funny back then though.
No more.
My world is doomed. What is there to laugh about?"                      ~Haver Dallen, brother to the Great High Lord, High Lord of Arelin, Turelaun, during his reign, 736 A.Y.t.


"Men fall from the sky, living, breathing men, with two arms and two legs and every aspect of them akin to our own, only their eyes are not so. In their eyes, we see a cold blood, rushing and racing and pulsing with desire to destroy. This desire . . . they thrive in it and it throbs like a living creature in their hearts and minds and eyes, pounding and roaring in a searing fire that cannot be quenched. It drives them. They want to kill us--to shatter us--to make each of us as they are, with no want for liberty or morality, and no alternative to wasting our days as translucent beings, appointed with no purpose save existence, and that only for the sake of pleasing them. They summon laws to their finger tips and declare timeless verities false, leaving us to respond. They proclaim themselves gods, and we worship them. They claim freedom is not a right, and we consent. They decree our lives invaluable, and we kill one another as though it were true. But is it true? I know not any longer. If all we are are clever pieces of this stone we live on, then perhaps it is. Perhaps these men are simply more sagacious pieces of this stone. Perhaps they, being in a position of power, obtain the right to create new verities, new truths. Perhaps freedom is only a right if authority declares it so. For if that is not the case, where does our absolute freedom come from? And how do we know what is right and true forever and always? Should I hate these men for their heedless slaughter, or should I believe that since they have announced it to be just, it is so?

But our world falls apart, and I sit here writing philosophy to deaf ears. If there is but one sliver of hope cowering in some crevice of this trodden earth, may some brave soul find and shelter it."                      ~Nikal Sands, scholar and writer for the First School of Thought, 670 A.Y.t.



© 2012 The Scholar


Author's Note

The Scholar
any comments welcome :]
kinda random but oh well

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Sounds like a bit of Baciadethian philosophy to me. Like something Aeterklathe Providian Bierchane would have said. I love it!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

249 Views
1 Review
Added on May 22, 2012
Last Updated on May 26, 2012
Tags: pieces, history

Author

The Scholar
The Scholar

Esco., CA



About
“We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are MEMBERS OF THE HUMAN RACE. And the human race is filled with PASSION. And medicine, law, business, engi.. more..

Writing