Foot Steps

Foot Steps

A Story by Christopher Darnell
"

Someone is always watching, even when you are alone.

"

I left the door wide open. The rain touched my skin as soon as I stepped over the threshold. The streets were empty and all the houses were dark, it was too early for anyone to be up anyway. I limped to the side of the house and washed the blood off my hands with the water that ran from the gutter. The water stung as it slid its way through the cuts in-between my fingers. My head throbbed from the punches and my shoulder felt like it wasn't in its natural position. The large gash on the left side of my neck was bleeding pretty badly but it didn't bother me much. I glanced over my shoulder to see if anyone was around, there was no one. I heard an alarm coming from the window above me, the loud annoying beeping hurt my ears. I ran back inside to turn the damn thing off, making sure my eyes avoided the living room. My knees hurt as I raised each leg to climb the stairs. I reached the top and listened for the beeping, it was in his room. The glass crunched under my boots as I quietly made my way through the hallway. I slipped into the room and pulled the cord from the wall, sudden silence. The rain beat against the window and my heart pounded. I stood there for a moment, planning my next move. 

I went back down stairs and paused at the bottom. I reached in my right pocket and then my left. I felt my heart jump as I patted myself down, my phone was missing. I then remembered that I laid it down on the coffee table in the living room. I ran into the living room with my eyes closed and slammed my hands on the coffee table, feeling around for my phone. I felt my phone touch my hand for a second before leaving again. I heard my phone smack against the floor and slide about a couple of feet to my right. My heart stopped and my hands began to tremble. I open my eyes. He laid motionless in front of the entertainment center with eyes wide open, staring toward the ceiling. They were empty, hallow. A fine line of blood ran from his mouth and joined a pull of blood that surrounding most of his upper body, the gash in his chest was wide open and was still bleeding but not as much as before. I reached for my phone and dropped it before snatching it up again and running of of the room and out of the house. 

I ran along the sidewalk for a long time before slowing down to a slow walk. I pulled the bloody kitchen knife from my coat pocket and threw into the sewer that most of the water in the road ran into.

It was raining pretty hard now but it didn't phase me at all, I needed to get away. My jacket got heavier with every step, pulling me down, closer and closer to earth. I heard someone scream my name from behind me, it was loud and shrill, it made my hair on my arms stand up and my stomach hurt. I spun around, eyes shooting everywhere to find the source, but there was nobody, I was alone. I stood there, searching, observing my surroundings. My breathed swirled in front of me and then faded into the fog. Afraid, i turned and continued on in a much faster pace this time. My mind started playing tricks on me. I saw things that were not there, and heard two sets of foot steps, I knew now i wasn't alone.

The sky was almost black and my vision started to blur. I was getting colder and colder and i began to grow very exhausted. The steps I now took were becoming lazier and I started to stumble. I fell on all fours gasping for air, my head was spinning and the gash on my neck was starting to sting. I noticed the blood that ran down my left arm, there was a lot of it. I glanced behind me to see the red dotted trail that followed, I also noticed a figure about a block away, It was a tall dark humanoid. It stood very still, staring at me. Fear consumed me but I was too tired to run. My vision was getting worse and my shoulders grew heavy. I fell to my side, making sure I still had view of whatever this thing was. It began walking towards me, growing taller as it got closer. I screamed but only faint whispers left me. The closer it got, the more tired I grew. I wasn't cold anymore, and all the pain was gone. The figure was in front of me now, looking down at me. It reached its hand toward me, and waited. I trembled, body shaking violently, legs kicking and hands shaking. My eyes focused on the figure's face but my vision was leaving me. Something inside me told me to reach back. My eyes were wide open. I took a very deep breath and then exhaled and with all the strength I had left, I raised my hand, and left.

© 2013 Christopher Darnell


Author's Note

Christopher Darnell
Please ignore grammar and punctuation. Just a little story I came up with today, I hope you like it. Please comment if you have any suggestions, reviews, critiques, anything. Thank you so much for reading. -Chris Darnell

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This one is a little darker than your previous story, I do believe you can push the darkness a little more, I would suggest through the intricate way you described the environment within the prior writing you did(ie. the blinding lights that flashed in your face). I think this would give it a little more kick. Besides that once again you have created a scene without alluding to too much detail about what is actually occurring. It reminds me of the way in some plays how the dialogue is just to move the story forward, but what's beyond the dialogue is the true expression of artistic creation. This is definitely a great skill that you posses. With that said, I feel this humanoid figure could very well be death. With the extent of the wounds the character suffered I am assuming that these weren't just any ordinary wounds but, probably these were serious injuries. Whereas the further the character walked more blood he lost, until the point where he was hallucinating, and slowly slipping away. I am not sure if that is what it is just my vision of it. If that was your intent nicely done. Nevertheless if it was or wasn't, this story allowed me to create my own idea about what happened and what was going on, and I really enjoy writing that allows for mystery. Nicely done sir.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Christopher Darnell

10 Years Ago

your reviews help me so much and I appreciate your words! Please continue to read and critique my wo.. read more



Reviews

This one is a little darker than your previous story, I do believe you can push the darkness a little more, I would suggest through the intricate way you described the environment within the prior writing you did(ie. the blinding lights that flashed in your face). I think this would give it a little more kick. Besides that once again you have created a scene without alluding to too much detail about what is actually occurring. It reminds me of the way in some plays how the dialogue is just to move the story forward, but what's beyond the dialogue is the true expression of artistic creation. This is definitely a great skill that you posses. With that said, I feel this humanoid figure could very well be death. With the extent of the wounds the character suffered I am assuming that these weren't just any ordinary wounds but, probably these were serious injuries. Whereas the further the character walked more blood he lost, until the point where he was hallucinating, and slowly slipping away. I am not sure if that is what it is just my vision of it. If that was your intent nicely done. Nevertheless if it was or wasn't, this story allowed me to create my own idea about what happened and what was going on, and I really enjoy writing that allows for mystery. Nicely done sir.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Christopher Darnell

10 Years Ago

your reviews help me so much and I appreciate your words! Please continue to read and critique my wo.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

293 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 12, 2013
Last Updated on August 12, 2013
Tags: Follow, Watching, Death, Foot, Steps, Rain, Blood, Scared

Author

Christopher Darnell
Christopher Darnell

Merkel, TX



About
I love music, acting, art and writing. I love the finer things in life, GOD and my family. more..

Writing