BLIND JUSTICE: PROLOGUE

BLIND JUSTICE: PROLOGUE

A Chapter by A Lost Man Found

Everyone has them. That paradigm shift moment. The spot in your life filled with so much raw emotion that it leaves a mental, and in my case, physical scar, so deep it will never leave you. My moment, much earlier than most peoples, was quite literally burned into me.

        I was ten when they came for us. I could hear the crowd snarling for blood outside our ramshackle, house on the edge of london. It wasn't much but that little thatch roof shack was home, and the last peaceful place I would know before the maelstrom coming my way would blow apart all semblance of normality. "Demon! Devil worshiper!" called their loud and boisterous voices. The monstrous cackling mob still echo in my ears. Even though the ever present smog that hovered over our city like a massive bird of prey filled every possible orifice, i could still smell the sharp tang of the pitch on their torches. And their fear. Oh their fear! Normals cant smell it. But those of our bloodline, the People,  our senses are much more advanced. and Fear is a smell that seeps. It is a pungent, rotting fruit smell that sticks to the skin like a invisible tar. And they all reeked of it. it was suffocating. Me and my mother, we were not the first to be attacked during the witch hunts that had become so common in Britain in the 15th century. But we were one of the few instances  where the accusations were correct. My name is Jacob Ravenwood. I am a witch, magician, wizard, warlock, it doesnt matter what you call it, people still fear it.

And that night, fear drove them to action. I was shaking like a leaf in a hurricane, so scared. my mother mary, was holding me tightly and whispering, "it will be ok, baby, it will be ok" Then it came. My Moment. A hand, dirty and massive, with black nails that looked like claws burst through the window and latched on to my mothers hair. That hand and the shocked look in her eyes would haunt my nightmares for the next decade.Because that hand not only took her from me, but opened a passage for the monsters shaped like men to enter the house. The last memory i have of her seemed to go in slow motion, as i watched her yanked  off her feet and into the street, her eyes brimmed with tears as she mouthed, "Im sorry!" Then suddenly, the door burst open as if hit by a cannon and a monsterous mountain of a man stepped through, with a caveman-like forehead and a underbite to match it, he looked for all the world like a ridiculously oversized bulldog. He wore ragged coveralls that smelled of coal, alcohol and fetid meat. his rolling, gravelly voice was the next to assault my senses " James, where the hell is the brat!!?!" another voice from outside, smooth and cultured with undertones that made one think that surely this is how the serpent in eden spoke, "how should I know, you ridiculous oaf! I don't pay you to ask questions, I pay you to kill them!" I didn't know how i did it at the time, but somehow in all of my fear and shock my inner magic did for me what i wanted to do the most. I disappeared. more accurately, I went invisible. My best guess, it was a survival technique, an knee jerk reaction the People must have. The Goliath-like man quickly searched the house and, not seeing me, said " F**k it, burn the whole thing. Smoke the little b*****d out. Almost simultaneously as he spoke it, a torch flew through the already broken window. The flames ate at the wooden floor like a swarm of burning insects, skittering and feasting on the safe place I had once called home. I was frozen in fear, choking on the acrid smoke. If i stayed, i would burn. if i left, the goliath would get me. So I creeped to the window, and peeked around the side with my left eye.  The only way i can describe what i saw, the last thing i would ever see out of that eye, was a light as bright as the sun and the color of lightning.Then I felt, not heard, but felt, a voice like an angry god, a thousand times louder than thunder, say something in a language that was both a mystery and familiar to me in some way. "INFUEGAS MAXIME!!!!" I was kicked in the chest by an invisible horse, the ground disappeared from underneath me, and then everything went black.



© 2015 A Lost Man Found


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'd read this book. Did you ever publish the full story bro?

Posted 2 Years Ago


Great prologue. Introduces the main character and story line, very well. I look forward to reading the book.

Very good work, can't offer more than that. I'm no expert critic, just a poet that likes to write prose too, occasionally.

Smiling at you

Tai

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

325 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 29, 2015
Last Updated on September 29, 2015


Author

A Lost Man Found
A Lost Man Found

paragould, AR



About
Why won't these demons be quiet? I just want peace. I have wanted the eternal peace for as long as I can remember, but feel like a f*****g p***y because I can't bring myself to do it. Sometimes I wis.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..