The End of The days

The End of The days

A Chapter by Ted B (megaluigi)
"

The first chapter in my new book. Hope u like, leave a comment telling how i did or how i could improve.

"

            “EVERYONE MUST LEAVE THE CITY IMMEDIATELY. THIS IS YOUR LAST WARNING. LEAVE NOW OR BE TRAPPED WITHIN THE WALLS.” These words, they are simple yet in my mind, complex. I ran as fasts my legs could carry me. All that could be heard around me were the deafening shrieks of terror and insanity. As soon as I could see the walls, my own fear closed around me. One of the crazies, as I had come to know them, lunged toward me. “This is it.”, I said to myself, “This is the end for me.” Then a shock, as the ear piercing sound of a gunshot rang in my ears.

            The being fell beside me and I turned to see a figure withdrawing his pistol. He nodded at me to keep running as he followed after me. Little did I know at the time, this man was to be my best friend - and mentor. As I approached the last part of the wall, the thought of the days leading up to now swirled through my head like a twister.

            It was calm, then eerie, then mentally evil, then finally, UN-comprehensibly.

 

            I remember those days well, “like the back of my hand” as they say.

It was May 20, 2012. I had just come home from the last day of school. The day was warm and sunny with a light breeze. As I walked through the door, I received a text from my friend, Brandon. He told me to turn on the news. When I turned on the TV, I was greeted with a strange news report. “A local man died yesterday from unknown causes. Family members say he had a high fever followed by abnormal thoughts of murder and hallucinations,” the news reported stated. “Doctors are still baffled by his strange symptoms and say by the time he had passed, the man had no self-control or thoughts of who he was.”

            “Wow. That’s really something. I wonder what he died of,” I said silently to myself.

            The next day to me was ordinary. Nothing strange happened to me or anyone around me. But the day after that was nothing out of the ordinary. The day was cold, wet, and windy. I read in the newspaper that hospitals were being overrun with patients all with the same symptoms as the man before. But these cases were different. The person suffering would slowly lose consciousness and then, like the speed of a bullet, they would awaken and have no self-control.  They would attack anyone who went near them. They screamed and yelled out in what seemed to be insanity. As the fever increased, the level of craziness did as well. The patients would attempt to bite the doctors. But soon after reaching a fever of 120 degrees Fahrenheit, they would slowly die. The process was so slow that one organ would fail each hour. Doctors had no treatment, prevention, or even diagnosis.

            The death count grew each day along with the count of patients. It grew at such an alarming rate that doctors had to send patients to hospitals outside the city. It actually began to worry me that I or my family and friends may become infected with this, this thing.

            Then the danger of it all skyrocketed when they had gotten loose. These people were loose and were going to kill anything or anyone in their path. I had heard horror stories of people being attacked and quite literally “eaten alive”. People were advised to board up doors and windows, stock up on food and medicine, and to remain calm. When I heard that we were to remain calm, my first thoughts were “Huh. Well when you hear you hear to remain calm, that’s when you worry.”

 

            I had first gotten a taste of the chaos when my father and I had to fight our way through the crowd of people trying to get to supermarkets, pharmacies, and survival stores to get gear and supplies. The market was crowed and nearly naked of supplies. We entered the store and saw nothing but ravaged people and workers. We walked quickly as we scanned the store, but supplies were low, and people were looting the stores as quickly as possible. We grabbed what little we could find and gave five dollars to the store to help pay, but my father and I both knew that wasn’t enough to pay for what we had.

            When we left finally got what we could find, the streets were barren as people rushed to their broken down, beaten and boarded up houses before night-fall. Nighttime had become hell on earth, because that’s when they came out. The patients, well, they weren’t patients any more. They came out at night and prowled the streets, searching for a lost soul to devour whole. My father and I rushed back to our house, my mother waiting at the door. About a block from the house, one of the crazies had ran towards me, growling and yelling as it’s instincts drove it to attack. I stood still, frozen with fear, I couldn’t even breathe the fear was so bad. But my father had anticipated something of this matter and pulled out a knife. He jumped in front of me and attempted to seem intimidating, but the thing was not phased in any way. Then, my father put his strength against the thing to stop it, and drove his knife into its head. It was a very gruesome scene, as this sick person fell to the ground and blood began to gush from its head. I had a very sickly feeling in my stomach and I felt as though I was going to be sick. But I had to push on, to get back to the house alive.

            But when I ran through the door, chill ran down my spine as I saw the scene. Blood, guts, and broken souls were in the room. My mother, she was...... dead. I cried, and cried as my father ran towards the thing that killed her and stabbed it to death. I.... I can't remove that image from my head, and to this day, it still haunts my dreams.



© 2012 Ted B (megaluigi)


Author's Note

Ted B (megaluigi)
Violent and graphic depictions, minor swear words. don't show your kids. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

443 Views
Added on April 12, 2012
Last Updated on April 13, 2012


Author

Ted B (megaluigi)
Ted B (megaluigi)

Baltimore, MD



About
I've never once in my life thought of writing. I hated writing and could never understand the concept, but now I'm beginning to like it. I dont know what it is. Why I have the urge to start writing. :.. more..

Writing