Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Megan Simpson

Carol helped me shower and change my bandages before easing me back into my bed; trying not to hurt my back, which I discovered in my attempt to walk around was seriously injured in the car accident along with my head. Carol left my room, but not before letting me know that one of my friends had scheduled an hour to visit me this morning and she would be here any minute.

Not five minutes after Carol left, a girl cautiously steps into my room. She is small with long, black hair that covers part of her purple glasses. She has a studious look about her and seems less than friendly.

“Melody?” she asks in a stern voice that sounds to be hiding surprise.

“Uh, yeah. Hi,” I respond.

“You look terrible,” she remarks in a factual tone. I don’t respond, so she continues, “Do you know who I am?”

“No,” I immediately tell her, rather exasperatedly. I’m growing rather tired of that question, and I’m sure I’ll have to hear it plenty more as I’m introduced to my old friends and family. Realizing I may have sounded a bit harsh, I hastily add an apology.

“Apologizing for something you can’t help?” she scoffs. Then adds with a slight smile, “That’s just what the real you would have done.” She shakes her head, probably to clear the sentimentality, and regains her composure. She speaks with a strange amount of formality, which I have to say is a bit unnerving. Perhaps she’s just uncomfortable seeing me like this? I don’t know; but then again, I really don’t know much of anything right now.

“I am the real me,” I groan. This feels repetitive, though I’m not sure why.

“No,” she says firmly and doesn’t give me any time to respond before continuing, “Technically, my name is Kasarna. But if you ever call me that, I swear it will be the last thing you ever do.”

“Then what do I call you?” I interrupt.

“You call me Kas,” she replies, then adds rather sarcastically, “Think you can remember that?”

“Most likely.”

“Good. I’m your best friend, after all. It’s bad enough that you don’t remember me.”

“We were best friends?” I ask tentatively. I don’t remember my own best friend.That is pretty terrible, but I can’t help but wonder why Kas used to be my best friend in the first place. As of now, she doesn’t seem particularly friendly.

“No. We are best friends. Not ‘were’. You may not remember me, but that doesn’t mean our friendship just ended,” she reassures me. I smile and she continues, “It’s just like with Colin.”

“Colin?” I ask, seeing as I have no clue what she’s talking about- a feeling I’m getting used to experiencing rather often.

“He died in the crash we were in. But death ends a life, not a friendship,” Kas whispers the last part and she avoids my eyes. “I should go now. Your parents are probably waiting.”

The pain in her voice makes it clear that I won’t change her mind. So I simply say, “I’ll see you soon. Thank you.”

She walks out with her arms crossed and her head down. I may not know Kas anymore, but I know she is my best friend. There is not a doubt in my mind about that and I realize that this is the first thing I’ve been certain of since I woke up. But I’m still displeased with our short meeting. I didn’t even get to ask her about the boy.



© 2014 Megan Simpson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Her friend seems intriguing. A bit different.

Not sure if it was intentional, but you wrote the first paragraph in past tense and the rest in present tense.

On to the next chapter.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
1 Review
Added on April 22, 2014
Last Updated on April 22, 2014
Tags: amnesia, amnesiac, melody, john, remember, forget, car crash, head injury


Author

Megan Simpson
Megan Simpson

Fresno, CA



About
My Upcoming Work: ~ I am continuing to work on my novel, Remember. ~ I have various poetry/ six word stories to post. ~ I am currently writing a few historical fiction short stories that I will pos.. more..

Writing
6 Words 6 Words

A Chapter by Megan Simpson


10 Words 10 Words

A Chapter by Megan Simpson


9 Words 9 Words

A Chapter by Megan Simpson