Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Megan Step
"

SIX MONTHS AGO.......

"

PROLOGUE:

 

CLAENHEORTE CASTEL, IRELAND

SIXTH MONTHS AGO

 

     “You dreamt about her again. didn‘t you?” Joan spoke appearing by Foalan’s bedside; startling him.

     Foalan nodded.

     His dreams of her were always that same. Her statuesque figure, her porcelain skin, the way her wild blonde curls and white sun dress whipped around her as if they were performing tribal dance and she was their all-important fire. This was all he saw for three months of his life, from the moment his head hit the pillow to the time he woke up the next morning.

She stood at the edge of a cliff not far from Dunluce in Portrush ruins and the Claenheorte Castel, his home, with her back towards him. There was a storm brewing in the horizon, it’s thick clouds clashed against the sky in a epic fight of bright blue and dismal gray. A soft mist of salty ocean water sprinkled to the ground each time the jagged, black rocks and deep, blue ocean met.

     Her feet moved forward, leaving their safe patch of moss to dangle in mid-air, she was attempting to jump and testing him. He knew she was only a mirror image of herself and not truly her, but he could not let her go through with it. It was his duty and his Code; the same Code founded thousands of year ago by his kind to protect her kind. Using his mind, he stopped her in mid-stride, and replaced her back to the soft patch of moss she stood on before.

     “I could let you drop.” he said, it was a lie.

     “You won’t.” Her voice was firm like the many dreams before.

     He walked closer to her, so they were only mere inches apart.

     “No, I won’t hurt you and I never will.” he paused, staring at the spot on her neck that bared the Mark of Teorinis.

     He reached his hand over to her neck, but an invisible force stopped him. It was the law he couldn’t break, no matter how hard he tried. He could never touch her until the bonding was complete. Giving up, he let his had fall to his side and ,together, they stood at the cliff’s edge suspended in time, watching the storm clouds roll closer to them. It would be only a matter of time before the storm would hit the coast.

     As quickly as it was, the rain poured down on Foalan and the girl, blurring the colors of the scenery, changing the dream into a water color painting before completely washing it away.

     Wait no!, he pleaded to himself, I still have some much to ask!

     He tried to run back into the painting. He wanted to be with her for a little awhile to ask who she was and where she lives; but it too late. He watched the storm become only a blot of gray water, the beautiful coast turn into swirls of gray, green, and blue; and watched, hopelessly, at the girl became a spec of white in a sea of color.

     “You mean too much.” He finally said, before she completely disappeared.

Then, he woke up.

 

 

     “Do you know for certain it’s her, the one taken during the Assassination?” Joan asked with uncertainty.

     “She bares the Mark of the Pure, Joan. It must be her.”

     Joan, Foalan’s chamberlain, has been then only father figure to Foalan since the Assassination of the Royal Family and the King’s best friend and Paresian, Foalan’s father. After the Assassination, rumors of disbandment filled the hall of the Castel. Afraid of loosing the Society for good, The Council of the Wise inducted Foalan as the Prince of the Paresians’ until the Mark of Teorinis of the Safiyan bloodline appeared. Thus making Foalan the first Paresian to ever rule.

      “So, what is your plan?”, Joan sat at the foot of the bed. His expression looked quite serious.

      “I’m not sure,” Foalan said, pacing back and forth in front of Joan.

     His looked deep in concentration, pondering the question that still lingered in the air. It was the first time he truly thought about what he was going to do. For the first several dreams he had of her, he wasn’t paying attention not using any of the tactics he learned through the years of training. It wasn’t until the last few that he begun to notice his surroundings and the familiarity of them, the coast, the ruins off to the far right- the place he grown up in. That was when he noticed that mark.

It was located on the side of her neck, right above where her neck met her shoulder; it was a small birthmark in the shape of a dove taking flight- the Mark of Teorinis. Since then, Foalan spent his evenings at the cliff, not far from Dunluce in Portrush and the Castel, searching for any signs that may lead him to her.

     “She is smart, incredibly smart. She is bounded to show up somewhere, but the question is where? And why after sixteen years is she contacting me now?”

As if a light bulb went off in Foalan’s head, a devilish smile crossed his face, causing Joan to groan in complaint. They knew exactly what he meant.

     “You can’t be serious?!”, Joan’s voice raised,

“There of all places! Do you honestly believe she will be there? You know who runs it don’t you? You could get yourself killed!”

     Joan, too, began pacing across Foalan’s chamber,

cursing him for being such a fool for thinking of such a ludicrous idea.

     “Yes, Joan, I do,” Foalan grabbed Joan’s shoulders, stopping him in his tracks and turned him so they were eye to eye, “it’s the only place where you can find her kind outside of these grounds.”

     For the first time since Foalan could remember, worry shown on Joan’s face. His gray eyes reminded Foalan of a child who had just seen a monster in his closet. He let his hands drop. His mind was already set, and no one would be able to change it. All that was left was to tell the Council of his plan.

     Foalan was about to walk out of his chamber door when Joan called after him, “How do you even know she is going to be there?”

     Foalan looked over his shoulder at Joan, “I don’t. But, she is bound to show up there sometime. Its only a matter of time before they search for her.”

 



© 2011 Megan Step


Author's Note

Megan Step
Please give your honest opinion! and Call me out on my mistakes. :)

Thanks

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I was captivated by every word. I liked the way you gave such great descriptions!! I felt like I was right there beside them! I love it!!! But I have to read more!!!! Got know more and find out what happens!!!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is very well written. Interesting
but too much detail.
Most people are not in to "superior"
people. Your Knight , or whoever he is
could have a conversation with fewer
words and without talking down to his
subjects. Let him throw caution to the
wind and just act real.


Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

288 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 14, 2011
Last Updated on October 14, 2011


Author

Megan Step
Megan Step

Gilbert, AZ



About
div { text-align: center; } Remember This Name: Megan Step It will be on the shelves of Barnes and Noble, one day. I'm Megan. a teenage girl who lived all her life in the hottest pla.. more..

Writing