Part Seven: Hospital

Part Seven: Hospital

A Chapter by THE [ME]GEAN

The ride to the hospital was much longer than expected. It was only five miles from the Denny's we ate breakfast to the hospital where my destiny would unfold, but it felt like five light years. It didn't help that the car was silent the whole time. The silence fell upon all of us like the weight of a sumo wrestler carrying a baby grand piano. It seemed like no one knew what to say or do, so they simply left it standing.

I couldn't think about it though. My eyes where to the paved rode the whole time we drove to the hospital. I didn't watch as Travis looked out the window thoughtfully. I didn't see Will bite his nails or Brendan bite his lower lip so hard he winced. I didnt even notice Jesse clutching the steering will so tight with every thought that popped in his head that his knuckles turned white and he had to use one hand to keep from bruising his palms. No, all I saw was that dark ashen pavement ahead that lead the way to my mother's cold dead body and the paper work that would seal her death. That would make it real.

I was staring so hard at that pavement that when we got there it took me a second to register why Jesse was poking me or even what Brendan was saying.

"We're here." His voice was blurred and far off.

"Okay." I heard my voice come out soft and shaky.

Yeah, I concentrated on nothing but the pavement and then the tile like floor in the waiting room; And then the deep sea green carpet in the coroners office. I couldn't hear or register what anyone else was saying. I didnt want to. All I wanted to do was lose myself in that ugly sea green carpet.

"Miss Rosen!" The voice was harsh; the voice from the telephone. "Are you there?! Is she even able to hear what I'm saying?!"

"Yes, she is." Brendans voice popped up. Then I felt a soft hand rub my back and I looked up. "Mia?"

I bit my lower lip and finally turned to my assailant, the police officer that had informed me of my mothers passing. The messenger. Funny, I didn't think the messenger would remind me so much of James Stewart as a detective. Wait, did he play a detective? Or am I thinking of a mix of Harvey and Rear View Window? Oh, I always get these movies mixed up.

"Miss Rosen, are you ready to identify the body?" He pursed his lips and frowned.

I nodded.

"Okay, come with me." He stood up and walked out of the room, but before he disappeared completely he turned back. "Oh, and just bring one of your friends for support."

I slowly sat up and looked down at them. I didn't want them to see me like this, let alone come with me and maybe see me break down again. But, truth be told, even though I didn't know them very well I needed them.

"I'll go." Jesse sat up and looked back at the boys as well nodding an okay.

"It'll be okay, Mia... Be strong..."

The ground was a hard marble. I noticed cause it was all I stared at the way into the room where they kept my mothers body.

"Mia?" Mr. Stewarts signature shaky voice came out. "Is this your mother?"

I looked up slowly at a dark table type thing where a body laid covered by a thin blue blanket. The body seemed so small and frail as Mr. Stewart slowly lifted back the blanket to its neck and I caught a glimpse of my mother. Her eyes where closed but there were several scratches on her cheek and a few bruises on her face. I couldn't bare to see her pale self so I quickly turned around and buried my face in Jesse's chest.

That was my mother... She's dead. She's really dead... Her bodies right there. A mixed feeling of rage and anger welled up in me. And someone did that to her... Someone hurt her badly. I swear if I get my hands on them-

"It's her..." I sniffed.

"Okay."

I could hear the blanket being put back over her lifeless face as Jesse wrapped his arms around me and rubbed his hands up and down my sides making me wince. I was still pretty bruised from the fight last night and every touch hurt, but I didnt let it show.

"Well, then shall we get with the paper work?" Mr. Stewart turned to us.

I slowly looked up and nodded. The dreaded paperwork... That paperwork felt like it would seal my fate as an orphan. Wait... I'm an orphan now. That sunk it deep. My mothers dead and I'm an orphan. I'm alone now. I don't have anyone in the world... no one... No one to catch me when I fall or dry my tears when I'm sad... or... or- just be there.

"Watch out." I felt a pair of strong arms pull me back as I was about to slam into the office door. "Be careful." Jesse scolded.

I slowly looked up and nodded.

"No one."

 



© 2008 THE [ME]GEAN


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
Added on March 25, 2008


Author

THE [ME]GEAN
THE [ME]GEAN

Fairview, OR



About
Hello, I�m Megean McBride. I�m a neo eccentric non-conformed semi-religious flapper with a slash of funkified backstage Betty punk who refuses to be labeled, set in stone, or.. more..

Writing



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114